FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 09-05-2011, 03:21 PM

Default sealed beam

on the lamp that came with my bike, the previous owner had cut the back of the reflector off removing the filaments and the base. There is a three quarter inch hole in the back of the reflector that could be enlarged to accomodate the European style bulb.
Curt
Unread 09-08-2011, 08:12 PM

Yes, I have replaced the 6V bulb in the sealed beam CA95 headlight. But it is tricky.

I start with Two burned out lights. The light body that looks the best I break out the lens, The light bodies are very thin plated steel. Breaking out the lens keeps the crimp around the light untouched and you can recover the gasket.

The 2nd light I remove the lens without worrying about distorting the metal. Basically I waste the light body to gain a clean lens.

The bulb is soldered in. So very carefully, lightly heat the BULB BASE until the lead melts and the bulb can be removed.

I have used 6V vintage automotive bulbs for the early VW's which are still available.

I resolder the bulb base (or you can epoxy it in place) then carefully open up the crimp on the light body, place back the lens gasket, add some clear sealant and press the lens back into place. Press the crimp back with a wooden dowel.

Harvest the wires from the wasted 2nd light and solder to the new bulb contacts.

If you want to be creative, you can put any voltage bulb in the headlamp you wish and use epoxy like JB Weld to secure it.

CAUTION! WEAR GLOVES AND SAFETY GLASSES! YOUR WORKING WITH BROKEN GLASS AND THIN SHARP STEEL!

Or just buy a new Asian unit................
Unread 10-01-2013, 05:59 PM

Just a quick update for anyone who has done the 12V conversion and wants a bulb that fits the replaceable-type headlight....I think these should fit...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/280823919...84.m1497.l2649

They have the P15d30 base (same as original 6V) and are 45/45W. I'll let you know if they fit.....

Kev.
Unread 11-26-2014, 08:27 PM

Ok guys. I have an idea I'm attempting here. I whipped out the dremel cut off wheel and nipped off the base of the sealed beam bulb. Then took a screwdriver, broke up the bulb glass on the inside and dumped it out of the bulb hole. Then I went to my local junk yard, grabbed a broken headlight off of a 2004 suzuki something (because it was busted up, the yard dog have it to me for free ). Turns out it has an H7 bulb. Then I cut the reflector around the h7 adapter with a hack saw, then expoxied the adapter to the back of the benly housing. It was a snug fit. I then ordered a high/low beam 6-36v LED self driven bulb off of eBay for $18. My plan is to fit the LED in the new adapter and see how it does on the 6v system. I have one on my '76 Rd400 (12v) and it works great. Bulb details and some pictures here:

--Product name: Motorcycle LED Headlight
--Material : Aluminum Alloy
--Size: 80mmX31mmX31mm
--Item Type: 1800LM Motorcycle Headlight
--Color: 5000K-6500K/White
--Qty of LED: 3pcs 6W COB LED
--Power:15W/pc@high beam(10W/pc@low beam)
--VoltageC 6V~36V
--Luminous Flux: 1800LM/pc@high beam(1200LM/pc@low beam)
--Beam Angle: 360°
--Available Base: H4/PH7/PH11
--Lifespan: 50000 hrs+
--Warranty: 12 months

Applications:
Motorcycle headlamp, fog light, daytime running light, driving light, etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (38.5 KB, 7 views)
Unread 11-26-2014, 08:28 PM

A photo of the lens modified.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (79.6 KB, 12 views)
Unread 11-28-2014, 01:31 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

LED's would be a great upgrade for all the lights on these bikes. Then we wouldn't get so much flickering. It will take some tinkering but you just need to have the proper spacing on the bulb to get the project right. Can't wait to see the results.
Unread 11-28-2014, 03:39 PM

I've got a 6v led 1154 tail lamp bulb coming in going to try. I converted the neutral light to a more modern green one with a 6v led soldered in. I bought a bundle of 6v white leds. All that leaves are the speedo lamps. The high beam indicator is red right? I may get some of the 6v BA6s bulbs on eBay. In red and white.
Unread 11-28-2014, 06:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithers View Post
LED's would be a great upgrade for all the lights on these bikes. Then we wouldn't get so much flickering. It will take some tinkering but you just need to have the proper spacing on the bulb to get the project right. Can't wait to see the results.
Right, and I assume that the LEDs would draw less power. I modified my Benly's sealed beam with a 6 volt automotive headlight bulb from a FIAT, but if I run more than 10 minutes with the headlight on, the fuse blows.
Unread 11-29-2014, 05:26 AM

Typically LEDs have the same or higher lumen ratings as incandescents with lower wattage and much longer life. That's why the new CFLs might say 15w but 60w equivalent (based on lumens). Unfortunately none of the lumen rating equivalency systems to wattage have been standardized. So it's sort of a shot in the dark. You buy a bulb with 15w and just have to try it to see if it meets your needs.

What's the wattage of the fiat bulb? If it's too high, it may be popping your fuse as amps = watts/voltage. In our systems you have to add everything together since there's only one fuse.

The factory bulb is 25/35w. The LED I ordered is 10/15w @1800 lumen. However, on 6v, I'm expecting more like 1,300 lumens. A typical incandescent is 16 lumen per watt, a 6 volt is probably more like 13. So the factory bulb, on high, would put out roughly 450 lumens. So the new bulb should be three times brighter on half the wattage.

The taillight and speedo bulbs don't say what wattage they are. So another shot in the dark there. The speedo bulbs are used on lionel trains and guitar amps from what I can tell.
Unread 12-05-2014, 08:50 AM

Well, the 6v led bulb fits great in the housing, and is really bright. But it's a no go for fitting on the bike. It's about half an inch too deep and bumps the speedo cable. Looks like I'll be getting a 6v H4 25w/25w halogen off of ebay.
Unread 12-05-2014, 09:27 AM

Default headlight

Hey everyone, I bought a model T bulb for less than $2 from macsauto.com http://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_mo...lectrical.html I soldered the wires to the bulb and siliconed it into a cut apart bad ebay headlight. It seems to work fine. It isn't perfect but it works. The bulb is a 32/50 candle power. Northey
Unread 04-15-2015, 10:07 AM

Ok, got the darned LED to fit in the headlight housing. Had to abandon the bulb adapter idea. Instead, cut a larger bulb hole in the lens then used a large grommet from harbor freight (of course the rubber is crap, I will be sourcing a better quality one probably from eBay). Now the heatsink sits close to the lens. It's a tight fit in there but works. Technology will catchup one day I'm sure. Here's some pictures. Sorry the forum will only upload
One photo per post on iOS.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (91.4 KB, 5 views)
Unread 04-15-2015, 10:08 AM

Photo 2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (84.9 KB, 6 views)
Unread 04-15-2015, 10:08 AM

Photo 3
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (75.3 KB, 9 views)