FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 08-26-2012, 06:39 AM

The adapter style petcock for the Benly is a nice alternative. The only minor challenge is the fuel line size from the Harley petcock is larger than the inlet on the carb. I used a heat gun to soften the smaller tube size to fit the larger fitting.
Unread 08-26-2012, 07:13 AM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
The adapter style petcock for the Benly is a nice alternative. The only minor challenge is the fuel line size from the Harley petcock is larger than the inlet on the carb. I used a heat gun to soften the smaller tube size to fit the larger fitting.
As always, thanks Spokes. I'll plan to do the same thing when the parts arrive.

Meanwhile I'll work on the carburetor to determine why it overflowed - I'll check the usual suspects of valve/seat and float height.

I was pleased to get the turn signals working. Funny, the front/rear signals were labelled specifically as '6V', but of course the Asian sellers filled the sockets with 12V bulbs. I went to a Carquest parts store about 20 miles from my house (that's considered 'nearby' up here) and the guy at the counter took me in back to help him sort through old boxes of bulbs. We found a box of seven 6V bulbs in just the right size, so I bought the whole box. I now have 3 spare bulbs, and the signals work great.

I have a 4 day weekend coming up, so perhaps I'll have the bike on the road for Labor Day.
Unread 08-26-2012, 07:20 AM

Well done BTL! The petcock is sure a weak spot in this fuel system. Your progress is awesome and your rewards are soon to come! Keep up the beautiful (and thoughtful) work.
Congrats...
Unread 08-26-2012, 10:48 AM

Jet black , your bike is looking great . Leaks ,that's always a fun thing to troubleshoot. I use tank adapters on 2 of my bikes and use a Paughco petcock- 1/4" npt pipe thread to the adapter and it has a 1/4" outlet to the carb . Normal 3/16" fuel hose fits the carb and will easily slip over the 1/4" petcock fitting .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 009.jpg (177.6 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by kartgreen; 08-27-2012 at 04:58 AM.
Unread 08-26-2012, 12:17 PM

Kartgreen, thanks for the info. This morning I ordered the adapter and the petcock pictured below, figuring I'd stick with a 90 degree right facing outlet. Next weekend I hope to put this little episode behind me and move on with the build.

Unread 09-16-2012, 03:52 PM

Ok, I'm all done. Well, there's always something else to adjust or tweak, but today I took my maiden voyage in my 1965 Benly.

Before I go any further, I absolutely must thank the gang on this forum for all the advice and tips. You've all contributed to the project through your advice and suggestions. Thanks so much.

Today I rode 23 miles on the Benly, taking the bike to visit my parents. You're never too old to show mom your latest project, right? The bike ran quite well, and shifted through the gears without issue. I do need to have the front wheel balanced - the rear was balanced previously. The exhaust is a bit loud up front, so I'll need to examine the gaskets. Otherwise, it's a pleasure to ride, and more comfortable than I expected.

I've absolutely got to swap out that ugly yellow fuel line with something more fitting, either a black rubber line or a nice braided metal-covered line. Anything but that yellow.

Unread 09-16-2012, 05:57 PM

What an absolutely stunning bike. How's she ride?
Unread 09-16-2012, 09:34 PM

BTW BTL, stunning.

Sam.
Unread 09-17-2012, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckets81 View Post
What an absolutely stunning bike. How's she ride?
Thanks for the kind words, Buckets and Sam. From the 23 mile maiden voyage, here are my mental notes:
  • The seat is more comfortable than I expected.
  • The clutch is heavy for such a tiny bike. The cable is new and lubed, and the clutch actuator was cleaned and greased. Maybe it just needs some use.
  • The exhaust is a tad noisy up front, so I'll need to pull those cheap gaskets that didn't fit and replace them with something better.
  • The bike handles pretty well for what it is, although the front wheel bounces a bit, so I'll have to take it in for balancing. The rear wheel was already balanced.
  • Turn signals work great, but it'll take some time to adjust to the "up for right, down for left" orientation and the use of the right-hand switch instead of the left hand for turn signals.

My wife says I look like a shriner on the little bike. Since I wore my "vintage-style" helmet and goggles when riding it, my mother says I look like "Snoopy". I've corrected both of them, insisting they think "Steve McQueen" when they see me on the Benly with my goggles.

Last edited by ByTheLake; 09-17-2012 at 10:34 AM.
Unread 09-17-2012, 04:04 AM

Awesome BTL. The bike looks great. I like most of your "custom" touches especially the trim on the fenders. Looks real good with the black.
I have to applaud this group. There are more projects completed here than any other type of hobby I follow. Car projects take years, some aircraft projects a lifetime, most never get done. Here there is something new every few weeks and it never gets stale or boring.
You guys are the best and show the rest em how to "Get Her Done"!
Unread 09-17-2012, 04:31 AM

Talking

Beautifull restoration with some very tastefull additions ! Should be a head turner where ever you take it . The picture of your bike in front of the shed is classic .
I always get told I look like a circus bear when I ride mine , maybe I should invest in a Shriners hat ! Anyway , just a gorgeous restoration , so, what's next ?
Unread 09-17-2012, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartgreen View Post
... so, what's next ?
With 5 bikes in the garages, it'll take most of my free time just to maintain them. My '65 Super Cub needs some attention, so I'll replace the exhaust and rebuilt its speedometer this Winter. I also have a '71 Honda ATC 90 that needs some work.

Otherwise, I think I'm done with full restorations for now.
Unread 09-17-2012, 05:02 AM

If the pic was taken from the ground level up (or close), you would look the right size on the Benly........not saying anything other..........

Your resto is impeccable............
Unread 09-17-2012, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911tex View Post
If the pic was taken from the ground level up (or close), you would look the right size on the Benly........not saying anything other.
My mother took the pic while laughing hysterically at how I looked on the bike, so she wasn't very focused on composing the shot.

I'll have a word with her.
Unread 09-17-2012, 08:33 AM

Ok, a few final pictures and I'll leave this thread alone. Today I decided to mount those '60s leather saddlebags on the Benly. I like them! I think I'll leave them on.