FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 11-02-2011, 12:10 PM

Thanks!!! It has been a long process, but definitely worth it. This is going to be a TRUE DAILY RIDER!!!! I have tried to tell my hubby to not get carried away with it because I want to actually RIDE IT! But he is a perfectionist. I will post more pictures as it comes together. We are currently waiting on a new fork bridge, ours mysteriously grew legs and walked away.
Unread 11-03-2011, 04:50 PM

The fork bridge came in today and I painted it on my lunch break so that way my hubby didn't have any reasons to sit on the couch tonight . Im thinking, the handlebars and tank should be on very very soon!
Unread 11-16-2011, 10:52 PM

Default Almost DONE!!!!

I am sooooooo close to having this thing FINISHED, its driving me CRAZY! Today I got to kickstart it, and it fired up the first kick! Only bummer part is it won't start with the electric starter right now. We still need to set the timing, and do some little tweeks to get it running smoothly, maybe that will iron out the electric starter issue. It turns over but it just doesn't seem to have enough UMPH to get it to start. Here's a couple of pictures of it right now, we still have the side covers to put on, and I am going to run it for a bit without the buco bags, then add them after a while.

IMG_8269 by bruceandkellie, on Flickr

IMG_8267 by bruceandkellie, on Flickr
Unread 11-17-2011, 06:02 PM

Talking

Wow ! Beautiful bike ,something you and your husband can be proud of .
If you had a CA95 your already aware of the interest people have in these old bikes . Wait until people see your new old Honda ! Enjoy ,Aloha
Unread 11-17-2011, 09:43 PM

Thank you! I love this bike. Post pictures as you get yours assembled. I love seeing others progress.
Unread 11-18-2011, 02:59 AM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake

Kellie, the Dream looks wonderful. I love that solo seat, too. I considered a solo seat for the CA95 I'm restoring now, but I've concluded that there wouldn't be much room for my tail end on such a small bike. That solo seat really shows off the curves of the frame, though.

Did you have the trim pieces chrome plated, or are they simply polished aluminum?

-Kevin
Unread 11-18-2011, 06:08 PM

Thanks Kevin- I had most of them rechromed, and the rest poslished out. Like the tank side panels, lower rear spring covers, luggage rack, headlight bezel and the handlebars, fork brace, brake stays, and brake adjusters etc. Rechromed. The hubs are powder coated, and the handlebar mounts and throttle housings, alls polished out. Be careful if your going to rechrome, it gets really expensive. If I were doing it all again, I'd only do the MAJOR parts. We had the hardware for my Buco bags rechromed also, and now, I don't even want to run the bags because it will hide the shiny chrome pieces. Although, it will be challenging carrying anything. About the seat, I thought it would be too small for me too, but really its perfect. I like the way it shows off the curves of the bike too. We ended up filling in the seam of the frame that butts up to the rear fender so it was smooth and that made a HUGE difference in the appearance.
Unread 11-19-2011, 02:50 AM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellieLyne View Post
Thanks Kevin- I had most of them rechromed, and the rest poslished out. Like the tank side panels, lower rear spring covers, luggage rack, headlight bezel and the handlebars, fork brace, brake stays, and brake adjusters etc. Rechromed. The hubs are powder coated, and the handlebar mounts and throttle housings, alls polished out. Be careful if your going to rechrome, it gets really expensive. If I were doing it all again, I'd only do the MAJOR parts. We had the hardware for my Buco bags rechromed also, and now, I don't even want to run the bags because it will hide the shiny chrome pieces. Although, it will be challenging carrying anything. About the seat, I thought it would be too small for me too, but really its perfect. I like the way it shows off the curves of the bike too. We ended up filling in the seam of the frame that butts up to the rear fender so it was smooth and that made a HUGE difference in the appearance.
I plan to send maybe 8 items out for chrome plating. I'm not too concerned about the cost. My tank side panels are too pitted to clean manually.

Your Dream is a bit bigger than my Benly, so that might make the difference with the solo seat. I didn't even notice that the rear fender seam was invisible ... nice work!

My progress will pause for a few months as I have carpal tunnel surgery on both hands shortly. Getting old is no fun!