FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > Cool Motorcycle Pictures & Stuff

Cool Motorcycle Pictures & Stuff Other motorcycle related stuff and some pictures.

Unread 02-18-2013, 01:31 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers
Default The Geigerrig 1600 hydration pack experience

Getting back into dirtbikes pretty heavily last year I needed a hydration pack of some sort. I found a rather expensive model hanging from the rack at my local shop and I simply asked the guy running the place if it was worth it. He said yes so I threw it on the counter and had him ring it up. They said everyone passes the Geigerrig brand up because of the higher cost but assured me it was a good investment that I would be happy about. The literature showing all the features was a little overwhelming but the website and the videos break it down very tastefully. Once you use a Geigerrig pack you won't go back.

Last edited by Smithers; 02-18-2013 at 02:37 PM.
Unread 02-18-2013, 01:33 PM
Admin

I surely put the G-RRig to the test in the dirt. I have the 1600 model that holds 3L of fluid and it has more cargo room than you would care to haul around on your back. Duties include:
  • carrying h2o #1
  • keeping things dry
  • protects my back when I go flying off my dirt bikes
  • carrying tools and rags
  • food
  • cameras
  • cleaning wounds with water spray! for real
Here is a quick video showing me doing a flip down some rock steps wearing the 1600.

Last edited by Smithers; 02-18-2013 at 02:39 PM.
Unread 02-18-2013, 01:35 PM
Admin

The pack works great and I have never had any problems with any straps breaking or anything like that surprisingly. It takes a good beating and it washes off pretty fast with a high pressure hose. I did get a flesh wound once and scraped up another time while wearing the Geigerrig and let me tell you - when your in that kind of pain being able to clean out your wounds with fresh water is the BEST thing in the world at that point. It would have been a long time before I got back to camp to start cleaning my skin so being able to operate on myself out on the trail really really was great.

I rode all day in the rain a couple times and slid around in the mud helping other up and down some mountains. The Geigerrig 1600 kept my tools, wallet and camera completely dry. Worth every penny. And next time we go out in the rain I'm going to keep a fresh pair of gloves inside to change out halfway through the day to really make my friends hate me.

Geigerrig 1600 rain storm testing session. Note the running water down the middle of the trail.

Last edited by Smithers; 02-18-2013 at 02:41 PM.
Unread 02-18-2013, 01:46 PM
Admin

While on the subject of getting muddy I wanted to let everyone know how easy the 1600 pack cleans up. After a dirty day on the dirt bikes I simply spray down the backpack with a garden hose inside and out. I haven't even used soap on it and it still just sprays down clean every time. It must have some sort of stain fighting material? All I know is that I simply hang it up to dry and it's ready the next time I need it. Of course I'm speaking about the black colored Geigerrig. The now make them in colors and I think I'll be getting one of these for my girlfriend to use. I've wanted a bright orange or yellow Geigerrig for a long time and they finally sell one in bright yellow or citrus yellow Geigerrig 500 is what they call it. I want to be seen out in the wild in case we need help. You never know.

And how about cleaning the inside of the Geigerrig? It's pretty simple and you won't have to worry about damaging the bladder either. They are virtually indestructible. You would have to really work hard to break is somehow. They have videos showing some very intense abuse of the bladder with insane amounts of pressure. Here is me cleaning the Geigerrig bladder out in the kitchen sink with hot water. It takes just a minute or two to pull the bladder out, turn it in side out if you want, and washing it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
I AGREE

I hope they don't mind me using one of their images from the website. : ]

Last edited by Smithers; 02-18-2013 at 01:51 PM.