FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 08-23-2013, 03:58 AM

Default Spark options?

Things are getting perilously close. I've given the paint a week to cure (and boogered up part of the tank when test fitting the chrome...again...I'm leaving it this time.)

And now I'm looking at reassembly order. Still have to order a drive chain (recommendations where?) and need to start re-running electrical.

The coil and plugwires, as you may or may not know, are moulded as a single unit. And it'll look kinda janky what with the new paint and tires and shiny chrome.

Any suggestions there that won't break the bank? I'm not looking for a nitrogen sealed NOS part with fabric wire covers, but if it's crazy non-stock, it'd have to be something really annoying (like mustard yellow to go with the black and red of the rest of the bike.)

Black or red would be fine, I'd just as soon not have ACCEL or NGK moulded in the plug boots...I guess the look I'm going for is 'it looks like this intentionally' not 'JC Whitney's finest'.
Unread 08-23-2013, 04:52 AM

I was able to break off the sealing compound around the original leads and pull them out without damaging the coil. Th hole left has a spike at the bottom and I just pushed in some old style copper leads. I stuck them in with two part epoxy ( araldite glue). They have worked fine for the last 21 years. Nice to be original but mainly cos I'm a tight wad.
Nige
Unread 08-23-2013, 05:48 AM

The choices for 6 volt coils becomes somewhat limited. I've seen 6 volt Harley coils used and seen some choices on ebay of course. Depending on your battery choice now may be a good time to consider the 12 volt conversion ( as parts become a bit more plentiful ).
I'd also recommend upgrading the rectifier for something solid state (even NOS selenium rectifiers weaken and grow old sitting on the self) regardless of 6 or 12 volts. Oregon Electric has worked well for me (other conversions on are the web, Radio Shaft etc).
On other forums I've seen the use of GM auto coils but the resistance of the coil is not suitable for a points ignition system to be sure.
Unread 08-23-2013, 03:53 PM

I do what Nige1100s does. Basically pull the spark plug wires out of the original coil body and insert new wires with new or original caps.

I use 7mm solid core snow mobile wires found on eBay. If you want fabric covered of colored wire search eBay for said description.

The drive chain is a 428-114-118 link roller chain. Buy a 120 link and fit to the bike by removing the extra links. Chain costs vary depending on quality. Frankly, I buy middle of the price range chain around $30.00

Not to argue a point by Larz, which I might add is a quality guy, I have always used the original rectifier and coils on my six builds over the past 6 years without any issue. I figure what ever makes you happy to do is right.
Unread 08-23-2013, 06:21 PM

I would have considered the 12v conversion if I knew then what I know now. After buying a vintage 6V Yuasa, and a battery charger, and figureing out the necessary big ol honkin resistor to keep the charger from frying it, I'll keep it 6v, at least til I need a winter project.
Unread 08-24-2013, 05:12 AM

And for Spokes, also a quality guy, I do try to stick to stock parts when possible, doing so with much success but managing the risk by understanding the possible options. Stock coils, new, are expensive so being able to "freshen up the looks" is a great alternative for our used parts.