FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Truck Talk > LEXUS 1UZ-FE Engine Swap

LEXUS 1UZ-FE Engine Swap My blood sweat and tears. It will be worth it!!

Unread 01-16-2007, 07:02 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Alrighty I have some new pictures from some work today! Check these out. Here is my before and after of the cylinders. They were hideous when I took off the heads. Things were in great shape but just had a lot of residue on the pistons. The gasket left behind some material that I really had to work at with some razor blades.

And here is a closeup of how clean I got the block. I'm not going to lie, it's hard to get it this clean and it took a couple hours. It was really bad from the start. At least now it's going to stay clean as dirt and sand won't stick to it near as easily as before. Excuse the rusty bolts as they will be dealt with. I always put bolts back in their holes when disassembling so I don't forget where they went.

Unread 05-21-2007, 10:15 PM
Admin

So today I cleaned up the second engine I got. I never thought I would be cleaning ANOTHER ONE. I'm pretty damn fast at it now that I have it down to a science. I have this cleaner which is a floor stripper which is generally used by people who strip the floor clean before they wax it. I buy this stuff in a 5-gallon bucket ($27) and it lasts forever. It washes your hands very well and it's water soluble. I prefer to water it down 2:1 for oil and grease cleaning and for your hands and other lighter cleaning 1:3 works very well. This stuff is SUPER STRONG so using it straight is a complete waste.

So I put my engine on blocks and place a piece of foil under the side of the engine I'm about to spray down. This easily catches all the run-off and also the dirt and oil when it drips down the engine as you are scrubbin. I have the best results removing the oil while using a plastic brush. The metal is just to dense and is hard to work quickly. It's overkill to use a metal brush basically.

Here is a shot of the dirty engine just as I have sprayed it with the cleaner to let it soak for 5 minutes or so. Notice the foil in place to catch the crud.

And viola, here is the side of the engine after about 5 minutes of scrubbing with the small plastic brush. The brown spots are just difficult spots of buildup that easily come off with a little wire brush motion. I prefer my cordless Dremel for those little areas. The Dremel with a wire cup style brush shines those spots right out in seconds.

For the ends of the engine and the top I use a different approach which I will touch on in my next post.
Unread 06-12-2007, 10:16 PM
Admin

Here is the bottom of the engine as I needed to flip it over to surface the oil pan mating surface. I spent some quality time with the right angle grinder with a 3M brand 2" scotch type disc making it machine smooth and clean. Squeeze some Toyota gasket compound on one side and they will never some apart. That stuff is even more gooey and sticky than Permatex RTV Black!

Here is the first alloy oil pan that catches the oil from the blocks perimeter and directs it down toward the second oil pan. Obviously this is a 1UZ-FE front sump, first oil pan.

Unread 06-12-2007, 10:23 PM
Admin

Cleaning the engine ends before you put the crank end covers on is a great idea. It's very time consuming to clean these area with the assemblies bolted on. But while they are off it's a very quick process. I parts brush with your degreaser will wash away the nasty stuff and the right angle grinder with the 3M pad will take care of the gasket surface.

Timing plate goes on this side. Oh and don't forget to pop out the front and rear crank seals from the inside out of the covers before you place them back on with sealer! They come out with one tap this way. When you try and remove them from the outside (after assembly) they will take you a while longer, depending on your automotive tech skills =]

Cover plate goes on this end.

It's always a time saver to scrape away the old gasket sealer away with a sharp scraper. Then follow up with the grinding pad and it will be super shiny just like from the factory.
Unread 06-12-2007, 11:00 PM
Admin

This must be the most boring thread I have made here on this forum...

Pics of the front and rear crank covers along with the first oil pan installed. Note the nice oozing gasket sealer all over the place. I have removed the old seals and I should have the new ones in Thursday. They simply tap in flush and that will be that.

You might also be wondering how I get those bolts so clean. Well it happens the old fashioned way. First I soak them in just enough degreaser then brush them off by hand. Then I throw them in another cleaning bucket and use a mild acid to pull off any stubborn grease. The degreaser gets them pretty clean but a light acid really almost bleaches them clean in a way. Rinse well with water and you got a handful of clean bolts! Now people will really know how anal you are when they see how clean your engine bolts are!