FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 04-30-2010, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hohlederschatten View Post
Correct me if i am wrong but isn't that bike called a RC161 or something? i remember seeing it before in a book...
The RC161 was a four cylinder motorcycle, the early twin was the RC141.
I wish it was a RC141 as I'm not sure if Honda them selves have one in their collection although I did hear they were building a replica.
The 141 was the first bike they entered in the I.O.M. TT races.
They competed in practice and found they were not fast enough.
They had 8 valve heads made and shipped to the Island in time for race week.
The bike then became the RC142 and the rest is as they say, History.

http://world.honda.com/MotoGP/histor.../pages/14.html

Sam.
Unread 04-30-2010, 10:33 AM

great photos, thanks for taking the time to share them.
Unread 05-03-2010, 01:53 AM

We got the bike running at the weekend. Timing and carb was a bit out but a bigger problem cropped up.
After about 15 to 20 minutes of putting the gas in, it started pi$$ing out from a leak under the tank.
I had heard of people running modern fuels in glass tanks having problems with leaks caused by the Ethanol in some gas products.
I was using Shell Vpower 99, as we have allways used this in the CR and RS race bikes.
I checked on the Shell website to see if Vpower contained Ethanol. It said that Vpower with added Ethanol was only available in Australia as Vpower racing and even this had been discontinued.
I doubt if I can resolve the problem in time for the first race next weekend.
It could have been a leak that has occured with age as the tank has not had any use since Bens dad rode the bike about 11 years ago.
I do have a small aluminum tank that fits inside the frame but it will be quite a lot of work to fit it and would mean making the seat quickly deatchable to be able to re-fuel it.
I dont want to turn the bike out at a very big event (about 130,000 spectators) and have it not 100%.

Sam.
Unread 06-28-2010, 01:36 AM

At the weekend we pulled the development motor out of the stricken (leaky tank) race bike, did a few mods and it's ready to go back in the sprint bike.
As I don't have a helper next weekend, it will probably be the weekend after before I can get the motor back in.
While we have the chance, I've asked my mate Ben to take a few pics to show how to tell at a glance if you have early or late model CA95s and the difference between the C95 and CA95 just in case you guys over there come across a Canadian bike or motor (C95).

Sam.
Unread 07-31-2010, 07:36 AM

Ben and I got her all back together and got her fired up today. After a few minor adjustments she sounds real good.
I'm over in the States for a few weeks, when I get back we will give her a shake down test on a quiet road and video.

Sam.
Unread 08-24-2010, 06:10 AM

Sam, fab photographs!

Which is the machine you'll be bringing to the Houghton Tower sprint? And what class are you running in - Class 1 'Vintage and Classic'? I'm in Class 6(number 102), 'Modern 250s', even though my 125 Yamaha engine dates from 1978.

A general question: Do our American cousins have sprint meetings and speed hillclimbs, or do they only have the drags and landspeed record attempts?

Howard
Unread 08-24-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by undredseesee View Post
Sam, fab photographs!

Which is the machine you'll be bringing to the Houghton Tower sprint? And what class are you running in - Class 1 'Vintage and Classic'? I'm in Class 6(number 102), 'Modern 250s', even though my 125 Yamaha engine dates from 1978.

A general question: Do our American cousins have sprint meetings and speed hillclimbs, or do they only have the drags and landspeed record attempts?

Howard
Hi Howard, I'll be riding the bike in pics 2,3 and 4 in the 250 classic class.
It won't stand a chance but I'm just useing the meeting to put some miles on the motor before leting it rip over the longer distances.
I was hoping to do one of the Honnington meets but the first one is before the tower and I'm at the Pod when the last one is on with a mate of mine that is coming over from Finland. I think it will be next year before I take it over a longer distance unless there is a late NSA meet at York Raceway.
In respect of your last question, they do have hillclimbs but not as we know them. As a rule, they are off road and up very steep dirt hills.
See you on the other side.

Sam.
Unread 08-26-2010, 10:09 AM

For Ken, http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=46104.125

Sam.
Unread 10-29-2010, 06:24 AM

Ben will be posting some video footage of when we tested the sprint C95.
We had problems with the clutch and it would not let me change gear but the motor sounded real strong.

Sam.
Unread 10-30-2010, 02:42 AM
Ben Cullen

Smile

I have the benly test video here for you.

http://www.youtube.com/v/guSpCK4KaqA?fs=1&hl=en_GB

Please excuse my belsh in the film, the cheese butty that day was very satisfying.

Benny

Last edited by Ben Cullen; 10-30-2010 at 02:49 AM. Reason: you tube embed did not work the first time.
Unread 02-05-2013, 10:51 AM

Should have some news from the Benly race front in the coming weeks.
I'm working on the CB95 that I've had for some years. I hope to have it on track by early April.

Sam.
Unread 02-06-2013, 03:57 AM

Wow I'm glad this thread came up- it is from before my time here.
FRICKIN awesome -what else is there to say expect I'm building one (eventually)!
Sam you R da Man!