FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 01-10-2013, 04:10 PM

Default 1965 Ca95 New Project

I tried to buy this bike about year ago and came away with some this guy's surplus parts. Back then he was asking about $1200. At the time I had offered $750 to clear out his garage. Last week this bike came up again on CL for $650. I made the call and $500 later we have a new project, or will when I pu on Sat.
A fortunate deal and I'm glad to save it.
It won't be Phoenix like Spoke's bike but will make someone a nice Benly and hopefully pretty soon.
Open to color suggestions too...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1964CA95.jpg (111.6 KB, 36 views)
Unread 01-10-2013, 06:36 PM

Great find Larz! It looks like the hard work was done!

I fight with myself about color for these bikes. From what I have learned;

White and Red is very popular and sells well.
Black is my choice, but not everyone likes black
Blue is pretty rare.

Finesse colors seems to reduce the value of the bikes. Whitewall tires looks nice. IMO
Unread 01-11-2013, 02:31 AM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake

Really nice - and for a great price, too. Nice to see another Benly get saved. Is the bike just primed, or is it painted something like a dove grey?

Regardless, nice catch.
Unread 01-11-2013, 06:40 AM

Bike is just primed. This guy bought everything from overseas. There are polished hubs and new rims with new spokes, new seat and boxes of parts.Only real drawback is no exhaust system. I do have some nice aftermarket header pipes but will watch for muffler deals or go with an Emgo system.
I'm thinking a British racing green....
Unread 01-12-2013, 02:53 PM

Ok, I actually picked up the bike today and here is how this one shakes out. Complete frame #1001653 may be 4001653, sandblasted and primed, extra front forks, nice tank- no petcock-will convert. New bars and perches, cables most hardware is new, new brake pedal, polished hubs on new spokes and rims. New tires tubes and liners. New lower chain gard, upper missing. New repop seat in the bag, polished rear wheel arches. About 5 boxes of pull off used parts and small bits, most of gasket set. Motor complete in a box, supposedly free and was a runner, new carb, several chains, lots of extra switch perches. 2 poor header tubes w/no exhaust. While primed the body work still needs done and the front fender has a few issues. Oh, no side covers either.
I think I'll make this bike a 12 volt bike and have been toying with a tu-tone paint scheme ( that would worthy of a set of bags, we'll see Chip). Other than that I need to set schedule to complete this one soon. I really like stumbling on abandoned projects!

Last edited by Larzfromarz; 01-12-2013 at 03:14 PM.
Unread 01-12-2013, 05:19 PM

No doubt that unfinished basket case projects can lower the price, especially if you negotiate price with the owner's spouse!

Looking forward to watching the progress.
Unread 01-13-2013, 08:00 AM

That's funny BTL because I've noted the big smiles on several wives faces as I'm loading up the POs stuff. Probably the only way I can make women happy these days....
Unread 01-17-2013, 09:48 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Wow you got quite a stash of new parts there and a good looking bike! All the nasty cleaning and prep is nearly done! Cash is king once again. Glad to see you scoop that one up. Any project can be had for a fraction of the cost. Only we are crazy (smart?) enough to finish them! hehe
Unread 01-18-2013, 06:38 AM

Yeah I know I seem to be able to find good deals almost at will. I just rebuilt the shop and have spend a few days organizing parts and what not (way too much what not) so I can move the CA in and get started. Only problem is just found a 305 Dream in my neighborhood that needs my help. Nice bike needs battery and tires, supposedly runs, all black and pretty clean-$800, I'm thinkin flipper...
Unread 01-18-2013, 06:56 AM

In cleaning out the shop I cam across a CT90 seat and luggage rack. Mocked up it looks real good (we've had the solo seat discussion). i actually like the Ct90 seat little better than the after market seats I've seen. Those mostly seem to leave an ugly space between the tank and seat. Also I'm a 6 footer and the seating gets tight, the ct seat seems to give a little more room. Shouldn't be too hard to fab a bracket. The luggage bracket is very close to the ones you see offered on the web (or vice versa) and I might be able to modify slightly to actually fit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg solo1.jpg (258.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg solo2.jpg (195.1 KB, 8 views)
Unread 01-18-2013, 08:24 AM

Here is a shot of one of my project bikes with a CT90 rack.

I had to modify the rear mounts and extend the mounts at the fender braces. I made a combo mount to mount my solo seat
Unread 01-18-2013, 08:49 AM

Pretty much what I was thinking too. Nice to know it is a 'beaten path'.
For me, my preference is to have a bit more 'fill' between the seat an frame. Alternate seat choices are tough for sure, I think I have like 15 different seats now. BY doing inventory I actually know mostly what I have now (and SHE can't know!) and its too much. I may post first shot here sale stuff soon....
How did that bike sound with just the long straight pipes? Nice bike though for sure.
Unread 01-18-2013, 09:40 AM

I built the pipes myself...

How did they sound? potato patato potato potato. The little Honda fires the same the V twins. The bike was loud, the wife claims she could hear me 1/4 mile away when I throttled up.

I built the pipes out of 1-1/2 electrical conduit. Bent the conduit into a full 90 degree bend and cut through the bend to give me the rounded down tips. I installed a 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 exhaust adapter and welded it. Using a deburring wheel
polished down the weld smooth. This fit the original header pipes to a "T"

I inverted the passenger foot peg mounts and welded them on to give me supports at one original mount point for the mufflers.

Finally, I buffed the steel to a chrome like shine with my gold rouge.
Unread 01-23-2013, 02:50 AM

So, basically straight pipes on the conduit bike, Spokes? I bet that was really loud. My Benly has tiny baffles, something like 3 or 4 inches, and it's very loud during acceleration. I bet your straight pipes are even louder.
Unread 01-23-2013, 03:51 AM

Yes. The bike was very loud. The mouse that roared...