FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Website News & Updates > Additional Projects Area

Unread 04-15-2013, 10:43 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers
Thumbs up 1992 Yamaha WR200 Dual Sport Motorcycle

And bought it on the spot!! LOL FULLY STREET LEGAL

Any guesses what model this is? Plated right off the showroom floor. Not kidding.

I'll have to insure this bike real quick and pick up my new registration for the CA plate it came with.
Unread 04-16-2013, 07:19 AM

Is that what was called a TD 200 ? or something like that .
Unread 04-16-2013, 01:50 PM
Admin

Close. Yamaha made the DT200 but this is a WR200. It was late out of the factory to compete with the Kawasaki KDX200 back in 1992. Then Kawi said - ok we're making a KDX250 anyways... then Yamaha matched them with the WR250 which snuffed out any more production of the 200 two stroke. The WR200 was a flash in the pan which supposedly makes parts hard to come by. That's ok because this one I picked up has only been ridden 5 times. It's really interesting sounding. It is really muffled down so it sounds like a big 2 stroke scooter. I have read online that people put aftermarket pipes on them and jet the carbs to make them real fire breathers but I'm not about to go crazy on this one. We'll ride it around in the stock configuration for a while. I just got the title in my name and the registration sticker this morning. Christmas come early!
Unread 04-16-2013, 02:18 PM

Awesome bike! Hardly used- that makes it special, as you get to break it in and use it as it was intended. There must be at least 5-10% of new bikes that the owners lost interest and keep in the garage till something happens to have to remove it. I need to get out more and meet people at bike shops. Years ago I knew right many, but having a family kinda put me out of the loop.
I'm slowly restoring a 1975 Yamaha RD 200B with 194 original miles for a friend of the wife's mother. Super shape, always garaged. Everything is clean, clean. She's spending the bux for parts, tires, tubes and all. Sitting, even in a garage, for many years makes stuff- mostly carbs gunk up tight. My charge is driving it whenever I've a mind to.
I've got a '73 Jawa 250 California 2 stroke that can smoke out any dog in the neighborhood chasing me.
Unread 04-16-2013, 03:18 PM
Admin

Erik you are correct. The story goes... I was having lunch with a fellow motorcycle addict. Afterwards he asked me if I wanted to ride with him over to the local shop just north of town. I really didn't have time and neither did he but he was just shopping around for some parts for his daughters vintage Yamaha XT125 that she is learning to ride. Browns Cycles is our local Yamaha shop that has been in business since before I was born and has bought out inventory of other shops that have fallen to the ups and down in the last few decades. We took a lazy drive over to Browns and I ran into gentleman I have known since I was 10. I noticed he had a shiny white WR200 in the back of his truck and I asked him the story. In about 5 minutes I told him I would be over to his house that evening with my own truck and cash in hand.

Make sure and throw some pictures up here on the forum showing your work on the RD and the Jawa. Or at least a link or two of any info. Those are great little bikes.

Last edited by Smithers; 04-26-2013 at 11:46 PM.
Unread 04-26-2013, 11:54 PM
Admin

Took the bike out of the truck and rode it around for a bit to see what it was all about. With the 10+ year old tires it was really a handful. After getting the bike on the powerband 3 times I decided not to push my luck. Time for some new rubber. I have read a lot about of good things about the Pirelli MT-21 DOT tires. Another friend of mine really convinced me that this was a great tire for what I was going to be doing. They are known for having really good grip on the street for such a dirt worthy tire. I also noticed that some Beta dual sport bikes came with them from the factory and they shoot for the best performance out of the box.