FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 04-23-2013, 06:54 PM

Default Running crazy rich

Let's just start by saying I've rebuilt many a carb throughout the years. Careful not to lose parts, noting positions of odd parts and a good general reading of directions.
I cleaned and put back together the carb on my '65 CA95- maybe three months ago- noticing it had been apart before, boogered screws, cracked drain screw hole (over-tightening) etc. and now figuring out it's missing the power jet. The parts manual under carb doesn't show this device, however the service manual shows it. Getting older I'm not absolutely sure a PO lost this piece. Me? Ummm... Me? Yes, I did loose the spring from either the idle or idle mixture screw and scored a pair from a really cool member here. Thank goodness I took pics disassembling the carb to know which was which. No pics show the power jet pictured. There is evidence a PO tried to get this bike running and was not successful.
Question-
After rigging a temp gas tank this old bike started and ran really, really rich- black smoke, gas guzzling. Would missing this piece be the cause? If the parts manual shows no provision, would blocking it off make it right?
Here's the quick question- I've had the very best luck from this forum locating unobtanium small parts- anybody have an extra? The carb is a Keihin PW20HA3a, main jet 95, slow jet 35. The service manual does not give a size.
Thanks to all.

Last edited by Erik S; 04-23-2013 at 06:58 PM.
Unread 04-23-2013, 07:17 PM

Take a pic of the power jet port. Just to make sure we're on the same page. I have extra's. After posting the pic, PM me.
Unread 04-24-2013, 04:27 PM

Here are pics I tried to clean up in photoshop and labled. It faces to the rear of the bike, or as we say at work- aft.
If the wife starts to use this term, aft, I'll naturally say no to the trap question. "Does my aft look big?" (change the subject).
Unread 04-24-2013, 04:34 PM

Sorry Eric no pics...
Unread 04-25-2013, 03:32 AM

OK got it. Yes, I have extra jets. PM the address again. That's a loaded question...does my aft look big? I don't think there is a right answer....
Unread 05-08-2013, 07:58 AM

Took the carb off and apart, found the float needle had a piece of junk on it. I polished the needle and seat with metal polish. Hopefully when I crank it tonite all will be well. My new tank from Smithers should arrive today, this weekend promises to be sealing, sanding and painting.
Unread 05-08-2013, 03:40 PM

Your needle didn't have a little rubber tip?
Unread 05-08-2013, 04:23 PM

No, just metal. It's cone shaped on the end. I've seen other carbs that didn't use the rubber tip on the needle. Is mine screwed? PO melted it off? Can't crank it tonite because it's raining cats and dogs.
Unread 05-09-2013, 04:56 AM

Might be worth investing in a carb kit. But you can test to see if the needle seals-mount the carb and connect the fuel with the bowl off and work the float.