FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 01-23-2013, 06:23 PM

Just getting around to starting my CA95 without the tank. Which has not been derusted yet.
Using a WallyWorld mustard container (my youngest picked it over the ketchup) with a small amount of gas and tubing to the carb, the carb immediately started leaking. Thought it was a float stuck, removed said carb and checked it- nope, hmmm. Tried it again and found where a PO had tightened the drain brass spigot overly and cracked the threaded boss. Years ago when an old Volvo started leaking gas from the tank I used some type of epoxy for fuel tanks that was kneaded together and stuck in the hole- sure fixed it. What do the esteemed members here think of this fix? A better way? Will a carb fall from the sky? Will pigs fly? Cows jump over the moon? Give up in disgust and part the bike out and live on ebay collecting money for the smallest part? Offer the bike for free to a fellow member and delete all my posts with "done"?
Sorry to be funny or unfunny, as the case may be.
My oldest son won his wrestling match tonite, so I'm on kind of a high.
Unread 01-24-2013, 04:34 AM

Some carbs did not have that small drain. So its possible to find a bowl without the drain. In the meantime, JB Weld the screw drain and fill the depression in the bowl flush. I have done this and it works.
Unread 01-24-2013, 05:16 AM

Hey Eric,
Don't get discouraged, just consider the journey. Anyway be careful of the bowl gasket. Often replacement bowl gaskets can impinge on the float. Careful trimming of gasket can help.
JB Weld IS your friend but a replacement bowl is better. Post a pick and I'll look through what I have.
Congrats on the wrestling match. I remember my wrestling days (try to make my weights).
Unread 01-24-2013, 03:56 PM

LFMars, I'm not discouraged, just bummed, these things happen. It is to be expected considering the age of these bikes and PO's wrenching skills. I've slowed down working on the bike because it's cold here, although next week in the 60's. Sorry BTL... We got a snow here in NC- three, count them three inches. Of course everything came to a stop.
I'll repair the bowl with JB Weld and await the sound of a Honda twin puttering.
Unread 03-08-2013, 05:14 PM

Back to making this old gent run. With a gas filled mustard bottle and long fuel hose it makes four stroke noises when electric starting, but won't stay running. Possibly no venting with mustard bottle? I sure need to find my analog elec meter to set timing. Digital, as I've set, might not be fast enough for proper timing of points. I'm going to use the Yamaha super carb cleaning tutorial to make sure the carb is very clean. Although the carb spray with soak has not failed me so far...
The major pooper I've just found is many pinholes in the bottom of the fuel tank, bummer. It has major rust flakes inside. Time for an eBay tank? Radiator shop soak and solder, with repaint? Ideas from the kind and gentle folk here?
By the by, Spokes hooked me up with the coolest repaired sealed beam headlight ever. He split the casing and inserted a correct bulb, then resealed it.

Last edited by Erik S; 03-08-2013 at 05:27 PM.
Unread 03-08-2013, 06:35 PM

Thanks for the kind words about the headlight. I like to do what can't be done...it's a hobby. Wait until I post the refabed wasted mufflers...

I want you to try an old school technique to start the engine. Add a 1/2 ounce of clean motor oil to each cylinder, screw in the spark plugs and try to start the engine. The oil will increase the compression. If it starts and keeps running, let the engine run as long as possible.

Look for a good ebay tank (IMO) Clean out the tank and use Evapo-Rust to remove any rust.
Unread 03-09-2013, 05:48 AM

And Eric You can just use a a couple of wires and a bulb for timing light. It works perfectly every time I time mine statically.
Unread 03-09-2013, 11:49 AM

Spokes, I'm going to try that beefing the compression.
Looking on eBay for a tank is like getting what I've got or spending more than I paid for the bike. Thinking it over, patch the pinholes with JB Weld, then Cream the tank and paint the bottom. I like the patina of the scratched original paint. It matches the rest of the bike.
I'd really like to have this bike ready for the summer.
Unread 03-09-2013, 04:28 PM

Please don't use Kreem. If you plan to coat the tank look into POR 15. It advertises to do exactly what you need and from the "kreemed" tanks I've see a much better product.
Like Spokes says run the Evaporust through it then POR 15 it.
Unread 04-18-2013, 06:45 PM

The gentleman started and ran today with an improvised tank. Hoo, she ran ultra rich- sucked gas and smoked white gas fumes. Uneven throttle up, cylinders firing unevenly. Static timing set with an improvised 9V./LED from a Korean refrig. door (unhooked batt.). Will check when running well with an old fashioned timing light- Xenon. Idle screw set full in, when it ran out of gas it screamed RPM's and cut off. Choke was not neccesary to start cold... The carb will be soaked and recleaned, passages chased with guitar strings and fully blown out with compressed air. Thought I did a good job on rebuilding. Hmmph...
The plugs were replaced by the last person who tried to get it running- 1985 or so? I'll get new.
It's a process.