FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 08-01-2009, 09:10 AM

Default CA95 Headlight Bulb

Any idea where to find this bulb 6V 35/35 Bulb?
Can't seem to find
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bu;b.jpg (93.4 KB, 39 views)
Unread 08-08-2009, 09:50 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

I would rebuild it.
Unread 08-08-2009, 10:10 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

But seriously. Someone needs to find a replacement for these. I would start here: http://www.1000bulbs.com/

There are some out there somewhere... and the originals can sometimes be found. You might think that a junked ca95 in the bushes isn't worth $10... until you realize small nuts and bolts and these headlights might still be in one.
Unread 08-09-2009, 10:19 AM

Most of the CA95 headlights in this country were sealed beam units. I have seen some replacement units that used a removeable Stanley bulb, and I have found some of those bulbs at various meets. I have always kept my old burnt out sealed beam units with the thought of converting them to a bulb type when I can't find them any more.
Unread 08-09-2009, 02:22 PM

I just found out that if you're careful enough, you can take a vise grips to the back part of the sealed beam unit, and twist it so you have a nice opening to retrofit a modern bulb in the old unit.

Now all I have to do is get an automotive style bulb, rewire a new connector for it, glue or caulk it in place, and it'll be brighter than they ever were.
Unread 08-10-2009, 04:03 AM

Send a message via AIM to RobG Send a message via Skype™ to RobG

An idea I kicked around for a while was to do like they do in the Model Ts. They are a 6 volt system also and there is a lot of literature on LED headlights for these things. Unfortunately many parts proved hard to come by or expensive. It would be a hell of an upgrade though. Still, I *Barely* ride at night on the KTM and just don't see it happening on the 95 so there isn't a motivation.
Unread 08-10-2009, 07:28 AM

I think that I'll probably get a H4 style bulb in the old headlight case. I see them online as cheap as $12. A connector will only cost around $4. So it'll be around the cost of a what a starting bid for a good original headlight on ebay would be. For being 40+ year old lights that could burn out as soon as you hooked it up, the $$$ that they bring is insane.

I probably won't take it out at night, either, but I'll still need it on the backroads around here.
Unread 11-29-2010, 07:52 PM

did you end up using a halogen bulb? I just ordered one. My math is probably off, but I think i'll have enough juice to keep it all running. how did you end up doing it and what were your results?
Unread 01-31-2011, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobG View Post
An idea I kicked around for a while was to do like they do in the Model Ts. They are a 6 volt system also and there is a lot of literature on LED headlights for these things. Unfortunately many parts proved hard to come by or expensive. It would be a hell of an upgrade though. Still, I *Barely* ride at night on the KTM and just don't see it happening on the 95 so there isn't a motivation.
yeah, nice approach.............i liked that
Unread 01-31-2011, 09:20 AM

I bought one a couple months ago, an ebay store "Vintage Motorcycle parts warehouse" in Texas. It is a 25W/25W for a replaceable bulb type headlight light like mine is, and fits fine. Probably not going to do much riding at night anyways I found it by looking at a photo on another site and seeing the Stanley number A5655 on the bulb, then searching on that so I could find one in the States and get cheaper shipping. Only thing missing is the rubber boot that keeps moisture out of the back. I will probably just silicone it.
Unread 04-30-2011, 11:47 AM

Default sealed beam

where can on find a socket and bulb to fit inside the hole of the sealed beam. All those that I have seen are 12 volt not 6. Thanks Curt
Unread 04-30-2011, 03:11 PM

All I have is 6 volt high low beam bulbs to fit the socket of replaceable type headlights for the CA95. Getting the bulb out of the sealed beam housing is challenge. I have done this by sacrificing one old headlight for its body and the other for its lens. The bulb can be unsoldered and released. You can set another 6 volt headlight bulb in the housing with epoxy and wire it up. I have a new lens for the sealed beam type somewhere in my shop as well.....

Last edited by Spokes; 04-30-2011 at 03:12 PM. Reason: more info
Unread 04-30-2011, 06:27 PM

Default headlight

I have a sealed beam with the bulb removed. It consists of the reflector and lense which are in good shape. I cant seem to find a suitable socket and bulb to put in it. every thing Im finding is 12volt. which arent going to burn very brightly. Has anyone tried the Tiawanese copy six volt light that is listed on ebay? Thanks Curt
Unread 04-30-2011, 07:08 PM

Default headlight bulb

If this were glued into the reflector Maybe? http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifie...php?id=1027835
Unread 04-30-2011, 08:30 PM

I have used the Tiawan headlamp on my previous CA160 Project. Other than needing a bright light indicator wire and the headlight trim fitting a bit tight, they work OK. If I need to replace the original lights I have, I will order the Asian replacements.

Any 6 volt headlight bulb will work in the headlamp. The VW one should work just fine. Below is a pic of the Stanley bulb replacement for the non sealed CA95 headlamp.