FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 12-24-2011, 01:45 PM

Default Head Vent?

I have a question about where to connect the barb that comes off of the top of the head. I do not know where to hook that up.

Also- does anyone have a suggestion about what to use as a replacement for the braided GROUND WIRE that comes off the battery. Mine is all ruined.
Unread 12-24-2011, 04:38 PM

the connection is on the right side of the carb on the metal tube of the black carb spacer. You can use a length of spare copper housing wire in a pinch or permanently, that's what I am using any other heavy gauge wiring you can find should work as well it doesn't have to be braided. Just bend the ends into an eyelet with some needle nose pliers to support mounting.
Unread 12-24-2011, 05:39 PM

The connection at the top of the head is originally connected into the air filter. The vent tube on the side of the carb spacer also connects into the air filter. If you connect the vent from the top of the head to the carb spacer tube you will build pressure in the engine. The incorrect connection will eventually blow itself out with a bang. I made this wrong connection assumption on my first project and speak from experience.
Unread 12-24-2011, 05:44 PM

Ok- So there should be a total of 3 tubes going to the air filter.

One from the top of the head.

One from the right side of the carb spacer.

One from the jet/?? on the back of the carb slide housing. (this one baffles me). It looks like it has a jet screwed into it.
Unread 12-24-2011, 05:54 PM

nope just two. The carb "port" goes to air.
Unread 12-24-2011, 06:06 PM

The carb "port" jet just gets left open- no hose or filter?

That seems strange. Does anyone have a pic of this?
Unread 12-24-2011, 07:18 PM

Here you go!
Unread 12-24-2011, 10:30 PM

Aha. Thanks.

I'll be firing the bike back up this week. It has been sitting in the garage- waiting for me to get to it for a year or so.

Last time I had it out it was suffering from a bog. If you rolled the throttle on slowly,( REALLLLy SLOOOWLY) she will wind up. If you give her too much throttle- it falls flat on her face.

I'm hoping that this is a carb issue and not a centrifugal timing issue.

I'll post some pics of the bike and give the story of how I came to own and get it running. From New Hampshire to Maine, and now it's in Texas.
Unread 12-25-2011, 09:49 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Here is all the info you need with pictures of Benly 150 and CA160 batterys. The blue bike was sprayed blue with the wires still in it but I replaced the battery ground so it's obvious which one that is. The black bike is my CA160 which is all original.

http://www.fourwheelforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=331&highlight=honda+battery
Unread 12-25-2011, 11:44 AM

I'll get some proper connectors and solder them up to some heavy gauge wire to mount to the frame.

I took off the existing braided cable- and in the process almost lost the nut that backs it. Did not realize that this bolt is also an engine mount!

I am using a small 6V battery, just does not have the amperage to crank the engine, but it will activate the solenoid, which is a good start.

Hopefully next week I'll get the correct battery, toss in some fresh fuel, and start working on tuning this baby up.

It's been almost a 14 year project.

About 25 years ago, I met a friend who lived in the seacoast town of Seabrook N.H. His family had a farm, and an old barn. There sat the CA95 Dream. Every time I went over to his house, I'd bug him to sell it to me.
Then one day about 15 years ago- he called and said his family sold the farm- and I better come pick up the bike before they knock down the barn.
Like the NEXT day they were knocking it down.
I borrowed my girlfriends ford explorer, and somehow, singlehandedly loaded the bike into the back (folded the seats down) and got it up to Portland, Maine where I was living. I tried to put the bike onto a scissor lift today and could barely get one end off the ground. I must have been stronger back then- I'm getting soft!

I scoured ebay for all the missing parts to get it running- and quickly discovered that it needed a new top end. Tore it down and rebuilt it.
Then life got in the way and the bike has sat for the last 10 years, following me whenever I moved.

I'm now living in Austin Texas, and cleaned out the garage, and saw the bike and decided it was time to ride it again......

So- here we go! I'll dig up some pics of it when I bought it, and what it looks like now. It's still pretty much "barn fresh", which I think is cool, and plan on keeping the patina on all the parts.
Unread 12-25-2011, 12:02 PM

yeowsers sorry for the bad connection advice, I shouldn't have tried to go by memory its been getting really really bad the past couple of years.
Unread 12-25-2011, 11:31 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

I LOVE digital cameras! We don't have to remember much anymore as long as you keep one at your workbench. Key items:
  • digital camera
  • zip lock bags for any nuts and bolts you remove & Sharpie to write on them (the bags that is).
Unread 12-26-2011, 01:51 PM

Chachivoodoo~If your battery isn't good I don't think your bike will run right. I keep mine on a trickle charger to keep the bike running well. I'm just saying this to keep you from messing with the tune on your bike when it could have been the battery or charging system all along.
Unread 12-31-2011, 03:02 PM

New battery is on order. Once I get it installed, I'll see how she runs.

On another note- I have a pair of Maine barn kept 1971 Honda CT 70s. Got one running today since the CA95 project is on hold until I get the battery.

On the 70- Cleaned the jets, set the points, charged the battery and it cranked over with my hand on the kickstarter. Purrs like a kitty cat.
Unread 01-05-2012, 01:45 PM

For future reference when removing the stock air filter and fitting an aftermarket unit, to anyone who may need it, the head breather and carburetor ventilators can both be run to open air, in a location that they will not get water in them if it rains, or debris in them. I.E. route them so that their corresponding hoses terminate facing the ground. If you will not ever be riding in adverse weather, you can realistically leave the carburetor vent tube off, but the head case breather hose is a must, as on most bikes they will occasionally spit oil out and make a mess if it's not routed away from the shiny bits.

Hooking the head breather into the carburetor will build up unwanted pressure in both the carburetor and the engine, and it would never be advised to do this.