FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 12-19-2011, 03:23 PM

Default Any front brake adjusting tips?

I put a new cable on the bike for the front brake. I tried lubing the cable first but for some reason couldn't get the lube to come out at the wheel end of the cable. Anyhoo, just like before (ie original cable) when I apply the front brake the lever keeps the brake on until I push it back forward with my hand. Can someone give me some tips on how to get the lever to spring back when I let go of it? Thanks!
Unread 12-19-2011, 04:46 PM

1.) Assuming that you have installed the spring on the front brake arm, you may have to clean and lube the brake shoe support post and the brake cam.

2.) You might have the brake level bolt to tight.

My old fashioned way to oil the cable is to take some aluminum foil and make a mini funnel around the end of the cable casing. Tape it tight and slowly fill with light oil until you see oil drip from the other end.
Unread 12-19-2011, 06:13 PM

There is a spring adjustment down by the hub, you can try firming that up so the cable spring has more tension and also make sure that the hub arm for the brake is in the correct position...if need be you can flip the hub arm to get a better adjustment loosen the arm by taking the bolt all the way out so the bolt doesn't strip and give it some wiggles as you pull to remove the arm.

I'd also make sure the cable is routed correctly and not binding because of a sharp turn. You should be able to make fine adjustments after that up at the handle bar on the lever perch. Oh also make sure the cable end down on the hub is pulled through the little casting on the hub and the spring on the other side of it if it isn't already. The funnel thing spoke mentions works very well to lubricate cables.
Unread 12-22-2011, 07:16 PM

Okay looking from right to left the cable goes through and cable housing is stopped at a round enclosure cast into the brake panel. A small spring with a bellows rubber cover is on the left side of the enclosure. Big spring is after that then the cable passed through the brake arm's swivel. The nut with the curved face toward the swivel is on last. The big spring seems to be compressed fully even with the nut's face on the left even with the end of the threads on the cable end.
Unread 12-22-2011, 08:19 PM

This is what the front brake assy. should look like

If the spring is fully compressed then the brake arm is not positioned correctly. The angle of the brake arm should be at about 7 oclock. If the position of the arm is correct, about an inch of the threaded end of the cable should be extended through the arm stop. You can then adjust the arm side of the cable as well as the brake handle adjustment.

Make sure that you have the correct brake arm for the front brake. The front brake arm is longer than the rear....they can be used incorrectly on either brake assembly.

Last edited by Spokes; 12-23-2011 at 06:53 AM. Reason: add pic
Unread 12-26-2011, 01:22 PM

I clocked the arm per your pic Spokes. I lubed the cable again but I found what the problem was. I was tightening the nut on the pivot bolt for the brake lever too tight. Doh! Maybe this can help someone else though. It works well now. Thanks JBC and Spokes for your help!