FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 05-16-2010, 12:09 PM

Default Life after 30+ years for another CA95

Last PA inspection sticker on the frame is from 1976. Finally after a slight derailment from a free riding mower I picked up a couple of weeks ago I finally mounted the carb that has been sitting in a box for the last few weeks. A few shots of ether and I have short runs until it runs out of ether. Tons of cardboard came shooting out of the one pipe. Is that bad? Looks like a mouse made a home in there sometime in the last few years. Hope he doesn;t have plans to move back in. Even seemed to run pretty smoothly for the short time it ran. Still plan to replace the wires and caps though. Probably when I tear it down to paint.Next step is to make a hanging gas can out of a bottle and some hose. Then back to the tank to see if my soldering job worked on the pinholes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2114.jpg (118.0 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2115.jpg (116.5 KB, 31 views)
Unread 05-16-2010, 12:36 PM

In a day or two I will have a custom CA95 tank that is fuel tight.
The tank was for a 1959-1962 CA95 (no front mounts). So I took the mounts off of an old scrap tank, cleaned them up and fit them exactly correct for the CA95 and CA160 later years. They are now neatly welded in place. While I was at it, I bought a 22mm fuel petcock bung and had it neatly welded in place as well. The old screw holes are welded closed.

Now all it needs is a nice modern, new fuel petcock (22mm) for around $25.00. Forever releasing the new owner of the tank from buying old petcocks to fit the old honda.
The tank is paint free with only minor surface inside. The bottom is good enough to weld on.
I plan to put it up on ebay this week. So if your looking for a tank....
Unread 05-16-2010, 12:55 PM

I've been following your search for a good tank and am surprised that you will give that up so easily. I suppose another can always be found. I think mine isn't that bad, just a few pinholes, but we will see. Anyway I will keep an eye on yours as well.
Unread 05-16-2010, 01:53 PM

The reason is pretty simple about the tank. I basically ran out of funds. Been out of work for a year.

So I am liquidating some CA95 stuff to finish my CA160. I will need something to ride when living under a bridge..hopenot.
Unread 05-17-2010, 05:45 PM

Well, some success tonight. I didn't take any pictures of the redneck gas tank, but picture a 20oz coke bottle with a barb screwed into the bottom of it hanging from the handlebars. Didn't mess with the points other than running a card through them to clean them out a little - they looked pretty clean compared to the rest so I figured I would chance it. Added some gas to my bottle and got it started relatively easy. Idle wasn't bad, but most acceleration seemed to pop and backfire. More adjustments and I shut it down for a bit to go eat dinner. Pulled the plugs after a bit to clean and check gap as well. More gas and more noise for a while and acceleration seems to have cleaned up. Now I need to free up some brakes and put the chain back on. Pulled the oil drain plug to let it drain and called it a night. Old oil sure does stink...
Unread 05-20-2010, 06:43 PM

Well, tonight I freed up the front brake cable and the spindle on the rear brake lever so I now have brakes. Starts and runs pretty decent now so I put the old chain that I had previously cleaned up nice on it and managed to get a lap around the yard before it broke. I knew the stress cracks in the chain were no good but I figured I could at least ride around the yard for a while before picking up a new one. I guess not... crap. At least the neighbor got some entertainment out of it.
Unread 05-23-2010, 02:25 PM

Old Hondas are addicting. I have found that they are so well built it's almost like cheating.