FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 02-22-2009, 10:35 AM

Send a message via AIM to RobG Send a message via Skype™ to RobG
Default Bars and Grips

I will have to update this with photos on Tuesday when I have them, but for now a description.

It looks like the bar took a significant impact from the right side and the bar actually buckled in 2 places. There are a number of holes cut in the bars, which are of course, also weak points. The bar might be salvageable, but I found a reproduction bar for fairly cheap (I think I paid 40$ for it). The new bar fits fine and has all of the correct holes, with the exception of the small slit at the start of the throttle slide channel. I corrected this without too much trouble.

The problem I have run into is that the impact also collapsed the throttle-side hand grip (rubber bit). When I post the picture, you will see a ring around the center of it where it is actually a larger diameter now. This allows the throttle slide to slip out of channel and spring load back to idle. As such, I need to replace the grips as part of the bar reassembly. This is where I got the wrong part sent to me. The "correct" grips I was sold are symmetric. That is, the left and right are identical. The original throttle grip has a spiral channel cut in the inside to facilitate actually pulling the throttle cable.

I am going to take Tuesday off and work on the bike, as well as pick-up the new KTM so I will post pictures of the whole deal including the wiring.
Unread 02-22-2009, 10:27 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Ah yes I know what you are talking about. The groove that's cast inside the throttle tube that moves the cable end back and forth inside the handlebar tube. I'll take apart my parts bike tomorrow and check it out.
Unread 02-26-2009, 10:23 AM

I managed to get a few photos. I am not sure I correctly diagnosed the problem, but here is what I do know.

http://rob-gevers.com/images/motorcycles/IMG_0709.jpg
http://rob-gevers.com/images/motorcycles/IMG_0713.jpg

It is difficult to see what effect the deformation in the grip is actually having by looking inside. Basically when you grab the throttle it free spins. If you twist it in the right combination of ways you can get that slide to grab, but it will eventually slip free again. I suspect non-damaged grips would fix the problem, but finding the correct ones is a challenge. Here is a picture of the damage the original bar sustained.

http://rob-gevers.com/images/motorcycles/IMG_0708.jpg

Naturally the damage is at the weak point in the bar where the throttle cable hole is. The new bars are a pretty perfect match minus one modification I need to make.
Unread 02-26-2009, 03:12 PM
Admin

How about a picture of the bar where the cable slide thingy goes back and forth? That definitely is the wrong throttle tube and it probably doesn't fit on correctly in the first place. Probably loose so it only catches the cable slider sometimes. Well the bar definitely looks worn out from being bent. The are impossible to make them straight again and it would just look old anyways.

Here is an eBay auction that looks like the correct bar. It's a reproduction but a nice bend with the correct sliding cable slot for a throttle tube. Maybe your cable slide cut in the bar is worn out causing the cable to slip in the tube?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA...Q5fAccessories
Unread 02-28-2009, 06:19 AM

This is exactly the reproduction bar that I bought. I am headed out to the bike this afternoon to work on it a bit. I will look at this in more detail and take some measurements and post more details.
Unread 03-01-2009, 11:42 AM

Well things aren't as I had originally thought them to be (not uncommon on this project). I fitted the 'new' bar on the bike yesterday. Despite not seeing any differences between the two, the simple act of disassembling and reassembling the throttle assy seems to have corrected the problem. It looks like the bend in the bar had been subtle around the throttle, but might have been enough to allow the cable spacer to wiggle out of place and allow the throttle slide to slip out of the channel. So far as I can tell this isn't possible now... I wish I could say I did something in particular but as I put it back together it just seemed to work. I had had the throttle apart once before so I dont know what changed this time. The tolerances on the new bar must have just been slightly less.

http://rob-gevers.com/images/motorcycles/IMG_0697.jpg

You can see that I had to make a slight modification to the reproduction bar to hold the assembly in place (the slot cut in the bar, not the zip tie).

When all was said it done it looked much better and worked quite nicely. I would still like to replace the damaged grip for aesthetic reasons, but for now it seems to be functioning.

http://rob-gevers.com/images/motorcycles/IMG_0703.jpg
Unread 03-01-2009, 02:03 PM
Admin

Yeah sometimes they don't assemble correctly and just spin and catch or whatever. It's funny how they engineered those things. But it makes for a smaller throttle wire mechanism and I've never seen one break from just using it. Whereas the rotary housing type can break sooner from repeated use. Oh well not like we'll have enough time to wear em out but it's just tricky to assemble those things.

Good to see the ol boy working proper now, heh. ANd his the picture icon to post picture urls... right next to the link icon when posting. =] But those pictures are big ones I see.
Unread 03-08-2009, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobG View Post
Well things aren't as I had originally thought them to be (not uncommon on this project). I fitted the 'new' bar on the bike yesterday. Despite not seeing any differences between the two, the simple act of disassembling and reassembling the throttle assy seems to have corrected the problem. It looks like the bend in the bar had been subtle around the throttle, but might have been enough to allow the cable spacer to wiggle out of place and allow the throttle slide to slip out of the channel. So far as I can tell this isn't possible now... I wish I could say I did something in particular but as I put it back together it just seemed to work. I had had the throttle apart once before so I dont know what changed this time. The tolerances on the new bar must have just been slightly less.

http://rob-gevers.com/images/motorcycles/IMG_0697.jpg

You can see that I had to make a slight modification to the reproduction bar to hold the assembly in place (the slot cut in the bar, not the zip tie).

When all was said it done it looked much better and worked quite nicely. I would still like to replace the damaged grip for aesthetic reasons, but for now it seems to be functioning.

http://rob-gevers.com/images/motorcycles/IMG_0703.jpg
Thanks for posting that pic. I was wondering how it went back together since I got my parts in a bag.
I downloaded a PDF service manual off a site if you guys are looking for one.
Unread 03-08-2009, 08:05 PM
Admin

I would love to read the service manual. I have the parts manual PDF but not service and I haven't bothered to buy one. Shoot it on over to my email if you would or if you have a link...
Unread 03-10-2009, 06:28 AM

Sending it now. I had to pay for it but I'll gladly send it to you since you started this site.
Hope that gmail account can handle 6mb
Unread 03-10-2009, 08:16 AM
Admin

Awesome thanks. I was going to ask you where the heck you found it because I tried to find it online once, heh. I bought an old used Honda CB72 service manual and got a kick out of reading it. I read it like a regular book all the way through and learned a lot of things!! Most modern manuals just instruct you on replacing the parts and how to check for worn parts. But the old Honda service manuals tell you WHAT the parts do and how they work with the other parts in the system to do their job. That's simply amazing. Reading through one of those service manuals and understanding your motorcycle makes it easy to repair a bike and actually realize what's going on in there!

Reading the ol CB72 manual makes me feel like I'm going back in time as well. Looking through all the old pictures and reading the type font is really fun for people who respect the hard work and sacrifice that Mr. Honda went through. I'll have to post a particular link that tells of Mr. Hondas story. I've read about him before but the details are incredible. They not only had to be the best performing motorcycle but they had to SHOW people they best at everything they did in order to increase their sales throughout the U.S. during that crucial time in the 60's and 70's. Their service manual really shows their dedication to give the mechanics of the time the best understanding possible to help them support the Honda company and most importantly, the customer.

That's what I think about when I see a Honda Service manual in front of me. I wish I had a bigger selection of emoticons/ smileys! I need to work on that. Some rainy day I'll improve things around here. I also want to start a thread specifically about Honda parts and service manuals... haha yeah I'll put that on the list of todo's.
Unread 03-10-2009, 10:30 AM

No problem. I did a lot of searching for one and finally found it.
Now it's gone from the site. I got it from emanualdownloads and now all they list is HD's.

Glad I got it when I did.
Unread 03-12-2009, 09:17 AM

Glad the pics were useful. I know they can be posted straight into the thread, I was just being lazy and not resizing them : ) I am starting to have some time again so I will either update the posts or just re-size and embed in the future. The bike is back to running so I will probably post a restoration synopsis at some point with some of the high and low points for me.

For now, it is time to clean a carb. I need to go look at your carb thread. The bike runs with partial choke, but not without choke. It also doesn't respond well to throttle. Just seems to be lean. Not unexpected given that I never really did a thorough carb clean/rebuild. I will report when I have that done.
Unread 03-12-2009, 10:17 AM

Sounds like a plugged pilot jet.