FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 12-09-2011, 06:44 PM

Have you set the point gap to .014?
Unread 12-16-2011, 07:54 AM

I went to set my point gap and it was already on spot, I went ahead and cleaned up the contact though while I was down there.

I have tried several times to get her started by:
removing the spark plugs and spraying starter fluid into the cylinders (My plugs are not fouled, and they get spark)
I put the bike up into 3rd or 4th and put the choke on and push it down the street. the engine will turn over as I push it but it will start to rumble here or there and when I give it gas it just wont take. I then try it without the choke and have even less luck. It will usually bog down and the whole process will repeat a couple minutes later.
I have tried making adjustments to the main jet and I re-cleaned the carb and she is spotless on the inside. I know gas is getting into the engine because I will pull my plugs out after doing this and they will be wet.

I know the bike is getting spark, and gas, the bike has good compression. I'm stil a little unsure with the timing as I have never messed with that before.
Do you think I need to adjust my valves/tappets?
I have also never done serious work on an engine with two cylinders. do you think that there might not be getting an even amount of gas on both sides? I know both cylinders have spark.

You guys have been a huge help in getting me this far, I know I'm geting close!
Unread 12-16-2011, 10:58 AM

I think it is your timing...You have spark and you have fuel. Spark and fuel at the wrong time though. Remove your left side upper engine cover, and also the lower cover where the points and condenser are. Put the bike in neutral and turn the motor with a wrench until the zero stamped on the timing chain sprocket is at 12:00 in line with the upper motor casing mark. Once that is aligned look at your marks by the points does the mark point directly at the letter "T"? If not you timing is off and needs to be set. Smithers has some nice pictures of the marks and alignments here... http://www.fourwheelforum.com/showthread.php?t=108 I believe Spokes has some nice pictures with a laser level of the 12:00 and zero alignment somewhere as well, although the link provided shows them clearly enough. Keep us posted we'll get it ironed out.
Unread 12-16-2011, 06:44 PM

I am going to throw one more idea out, based on Jet's thought on timing. The cam that the points ride on can be installed 180 degree's off. Mark the cam and remove it. do a 180 re install and try to start the bike.