FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 02-17-2013, 08:03 AM

Default C95 vs CA95 Handlebars

My original C95 handlebars are bent and welded thanks to my youthful inexperience (and a patch of black ice). They're usable, but I'd like to upgrade to new(-ish).

I've got an original set from a CA95, but those bars are different. They don't have the holes for the signal lights, and the throttle cable hole is in a completely different location. Those problems are seemingly small ones since it would be a simple task to drill two holes for the signal lights. But I did a "test mounting" of the signal lights before doing that, and discovered that the slight angle difference of the two bars makes the signal lights sit at a slight angle, which I know would bug the hell out of me.

C95Bars.jpg

So, back to eBay to source handlebars. I haven't seen original C95 bars come up lately, and notice the reproductions from Thailand come in the two different flavours, so one would be wise to double check this before ordering.

I also note the reproductions use a slightly different throttle cable holder with a wide notch mounting system instead of the narrow notches that my OEM has. Again, no problem since this can be sourced out of Thailand as well.

C95Bars2.jpg

So, the question... has anyone purchased a C95 Thai handlebar and can confirm it matches OEM specs for size/angles?

Last edited by JoeM; 02-17-2013 at 10:19 AM.
Unread 02-17-2013, 12:31 PM

The bars on your CA95 are bars from a Honda 90 Trail bike, 64 or 65 (IMO). I have purchased the trail 90 bars in the past. The newer bars have the oval cable stop insert, which may be an improvement over the slotted type.

I have seen the Thai bars and they look the same angle, but I did not actually measure them.

I recently rebuilt a set of bars in sad shape. The owner drilled the holes. He bought the cheap plastic lights. But just for an example:

If I did not have a couple of original bars waiting to be chromed, I would buy the Thai bars and the oval slotted stop.
Unread 02-17-2013, 01:42 PM

Honda 90 bars. Humh, that explains a lot. They came off a CA95 being parted out, but I guess they themselves were transplants from some long ago story.

Bike restoration is like archaeology. I hope whoever is wrenching my bike 50 years from now will appreciate my efforts.

http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/2013-02-11/

Last edited by JoeM; 02-17-2013 at 02:14 PM.
Unread 02-27-2013, 11:14 AM

Hey Spokes

How much is it running you to re-chrome the bars? Willing to let one go?

Chris
Unread 02-27-2013, 12:52 PM

I have not gotten quotes yet. The bars are sandblasted and very pitted. So it may be better to get new asian bars.
Unread 03-06-2018, 04:12 AM

For future readers, answering my own original question from the beginning of this thread... " has anyone purchased a C95 Thai handlebar and can confirm it matches OEM specs for size/angles?"

Yes, the bars I purchased from eBay/Thailand match the original exactly.

The only issue is that the chrome makes the bars a bit "fatter" than the original, meaning the controls now longer fit tightly together as from the factory. You'll have a very slight gap, not enough be be detracting except to the perfectionist.

That could be solved with a slight amount of machining, but I decided to leave well enough alone.