FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 01-21-2012, 11:54 PM

Default Titling etc.

Done.

Last edited by Jetblackchemist; 11-09-2012 at 09:43 PM.
Unread 01-22-2012, 05:07 AM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake

I have 8 inches of snow, so no "nice riding" for me, although I'll fire up the family's ancient '71 Honda ATC 3-wheeler for some low speed fun on the frozen lake. That ATC-90 still starts with one pull.

I haven't acquired a non-titled bike, but I'm sure there's a process for getting one. I don't know your mom, but I'll go out on a limb and assume she didn't buy stolen merchandise. Let us know how it turns out.
Unread 01-22-2012, 09:55 AM

I think a talk with the DMV would be helpfull . Did it have a license plate on it ? I'm sure they can run a plate and the vin from the frame and engine to see if the original title was clear . I'm sure that there is a process but it will take time and money .
I had a similar problem with an Ohio title and I spoke with several different DMV employees and 2 different locations and finally found someone to get me thru the process . My problem was the original title was badly decomposed and the original owner had passed away . I bought the bike from his son .
Unread 01-23-2012, 06:06 PM

http://www.scdmvonline.com/DMVNew/forms/400.pdf
Obtaining a Duplicate Title
If you have lost your title, you may obtain a duplicate title from the Department of Motor Vehicles. You may apply for the duplicate title by mail or by visiting your local SCDMV field office. The Form 400, Application for Certificate of Title/Registration, which must be completed, contains the proper mailing address for the department.

To obtain a duplicate title, you must have the following:

Completed Form 400, Application for Certificate of Title/Registration.
To complete the form, you must have your vehicle odometer mileage reading and any current lien information.
Acceptable Identification
Title Fee.
The title fee is $15.00.
Important note: If there is a lien on your vehicle, the duplicate title will be sent to the lien holder.

Last edited by Grunt; 01-23-2012 at 06:08 PM.
Unread 01-23-2012, 06:55 PM

Default titles missing

Title requirements vary by the state you are in. Here in Florida replacement titles are almost unavailable when the original owner is unavailable. I have found though that the state of Michigan will issue a title to a vehicle when it can be shown that the vehicle has not been on the road and has no registrtion info for five years. I got a cousin to get a new title to an antique Airstream travel trailer via this method. Once a Michigan title has been obtained it would be an easy swap to a SC title. The other method, which is used commonly in the antique vehicle business is to use the services of a title agency such as Broadway title. Its a bit pricey but it works.
Good luck, Curt
Unread 02-14-2012, 12:59 PM

Smile

My best recollection, in Texas, is that if you are applying for a lost title from TXDOT, you must be the original title owner or you are SOL. Perhaps their are other hurdles you can jump, but I have no experience with that process. I would suggest you hire a lawyer or try to ingratiate yourself with a friendly and knowledgeable DMV supervisory level employee. It also never hurts to review their statutes on Motor Vehicle Title, licensing and replacement processes...and, at the same time, familiarize yourself with their Administrative Rules, which are usually posted on-line, on the motor vehicle licensing and acquisition of lost or misplaced licenses and Titles, as the case is applicable. This will help you speak intelligently with the DMV HMFIC (too naughty to place in print).
By the way, the only way the DMV will "screw" you is if the bike was stolen at some time prior to your Mom purchasing it over 30 years ago and assuming they updated their original information. I would surmise that, at worst, they might tell you who the original owner was and suggest that you work out the titling issue with them or their heirs, if they are dead.
Either way, good luck. If none of this is accurate, then ignore it.
Unread 02-14-2012, 11:34 PM

Done.

Last edited by Jetblackchemist; 11-09-2012 at 09:43 PM.
Unread 02-15-2012, 06:39 AM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetblackchemist View Post
... I will accept all legal penalties, leans, fines and imprisonment, that's separate from the bill of sale. This should work as soon as I have some time to drive to N.C. get the stuff notarized. If for some reason I disappear from the forum I'm probably doing time for my Benly
If you get thrown in prison, can I have your bike?
Unread 02-15-2012, 07:45 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Haha jeez that's a lot of ground work for that process! Here in CA if they run the VIN and there is no record they will let you declare on paper that the bike was in a barn for the last 40 years and you just decided to get it running recently. This is all you need to do and they will issue you a new title assuming that the engine number and the frame number are clearly visible.

And there is never anything on record when you take an old Honda like that in unless someone in the last 15 years actually registered it in their name. But in most cases the bike has been left in the dirt for 20 years or more and that's why we have them.
Unread 02-15-2012, 11:28 PM

That sounds a lot like the process up here in British Columbia, Canada.
If you bought the bike w/o a title, you can send in a copy of the bill of sale, as well as a notarized statement declaring that you purchased the bike.
If they can't find anyone on record, they send you permission to register it in your name. If they do find who owned it, they let you try to contact them.
If you can contact them, they can provide permission to transfer it. If they don't reply after a reasonable time, you can register it anyways.

I registered an '81 Yamaha SR185 I bought out of a barn this way once - they couldn't find any record of it being registered (not surprising, it had the original tires!), so I didn't have to bother the original owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithers View Post
Haha jeez that's a lot of ground work for that process! Here in CA if they run the VIN and there is no record they will let you declare on paper that the bike was in a barn for the last 40 years and you just decided to get it running recently. This is all you need to do and they will issue you a new title assuming that the engine number and the frame number are clearly visible.

And there is never anything on record when you take an old Honda like that in unless someone in the last 15 years actually registered it in their name. But in most cases the bike has been left in the dirt for 20 years or more and that's why we have them.
Unread 02-16-2012, 11:37 AM

Done.

Last edited by Jetblackchemist; 11-09-2012 at 09:44 PM.
Unread 02-16-2012, 04:23 PM

Let all of us know how this works out, I have enough parts left over, including a frame, that I don't have a title for. I would like to put it together with my grandson this summer.
Unread 02-17-2012, 03:39 AM

Done.

Unread 02-17-2012, 05:50 PM

Illinois, and if I don't know the original/last owner of record, I'm out of luck. I could wait until I have it together and visit a friend in Michigan where it is much easier to get a title for a vehicle this old. Generally, ownership there and a non-stolen record is sufficient for creating a new/replacement title. I have found title services that will get one for a fee ($150++).
Unread 02-17-2012, 06:23 PM

Done.