FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 03-28-2013, 10:58 AM

Default oil out exhaust

after rebuilding my honda c95.pistons,ring,valves.starts and runs great,idles good .i noticed oil sputtering out the exhaust,not using any mufflers so it is easy to see.im thinking this is not good my compression tester does not fit the plug hole,so unable to give a compression test.i did not install neww valve guides..any thoughts on this as i am sure this is not normal.i am using synthetic oil which i should not use for break in
Unread 03-28-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rum-rum View Post
after rebuilding my honda c95.pistons,ring,valves.starts and runs great,idles good .i noticed oil sputtering out the exhaust,not using any mufflers so it is easy to see.im thinking this is not good my compression tester does not fit the plug hole,so unable to give a compression test.i did not install neww valve guides..any thoughts on this as i am sure this is not normal.i am using synthetic oil which i should not use for break in
Ummm...Stop. Now.
1) Knowing you shouldn't be using synthetic, why are you?
2) Even though you have new rings what did you do to the cylinder? Was it even honed?
3) Did you check ring end gaps, alignment etc?

While there is a break in period (I recommend straight wt mineral oil for iron rings), if the above is correct and there is not a well prepared cylinder surface ie-glazing, taper or out-of-round, the rings may never seat properly.
Either crankcase pressure is increased (normally vents out the top) and its pushing oil (is it over filled?) or the oil is just bypassing the rings.
In either case I'd change out the oil. Further inspection may be required.
On another note regarding the synthetic oil. Other than break-in I don't have anything against synthetic oils except my first time using a great brand of oil, Amsoil synthetic, I had clutch problems, remember it is a wet clutch. When I switched back the problem went away. Maybe its different with brand new clutch but it didn't work well for me.
Plus in relative terms, I don't like paying $8-12 a quart/litre, even if we only use one at a time. Because my bikes don't get as much exercise as they should I don't mind changing the oil every season.
Unread 03-28-2013, 03:16 PM

i had the cylinders bored out for the third oversize pistons,rings.did not check the ring gap.i will change the oil back to regular,not sure what i was thinking.thanks for the reply,s
Unread 03-29-2013, 05:50 AM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake

Quote:
Originally Posted by rum-rum View Post
You mention that you don't have mufflers - are the header pipes mounted?

How much oil are you seeing? Does it appear to subside after the engine runs for a few minutes? I'm just wondering if the oil had seeped into the exhaust header pipes over time, or if the oil appears to be continuously leaking into the exhaust.

Are the spark plugs oily too? If not, that may indicate the seepage is at the exhaust valve guides.

Are you seeing oil at both exhaust pipes?

Is the motorcycle upside down? If so, set it on its tires.
Unread 03-29-2013, 06:18 AM

After you rule out the easy options , you may have installed the rings up-side down . If so you'll get a lot of oil blowby out of the exhaust .
Unread 03-29-2013, 05:34 PM

To add to what my brother Kart said as well as being upside down, they might be in the wrong grove, there is a top ring and a bottom compression ring.
As well as checking the gap between the ring ends, you need to space out the gaps so that they are spaced at equal distances of one third. Avoid gettig a gap at the front or rear of the piston.
To check if there is oil seepage from the exhaust guides, remove the headers/down pipes, and shine a light into the exhaust port, if the guide is passing oil, it will show up on the roof of the port.
Don't be dismayed, we all make mistakes, I myself have to reffer to the workshop manual after 50 years of building these motors.

Sam.
Unread 03-31-2013, 12:03 PM

after takiing off the header pipe,on the leftcylinder is cleanthis is the side that is sputtering out oil and the plug is oily.the compression is less on this cylinder,i am just comparing thr 2 with my finger but will get a proper adapter for a proper compression test.but the left cylinder definatly ha less compression.this cylinder also had a healy coil put in and was stripped out.i had the machine shop take the old coil out and put a proper coil in..the healy coil is close to the valves so not sure if this is part of my problem.ps ows that for things that could be wrong.the right cylinder in working good,plug is burning fine ,when i give the bike a compresion test just using my fingerthe right side appears to have good compression,but the left side is weird.it seams to be pushing my finger out harder than sucking in.sounds weird but when someone mentioned rings could be up side down i have started to wounder..ant thoughts are appreciated.ps i love this bike and would like to get it 100 percent.when i figure out how i will submit pictures...
Unread 03-31-2013, 02:31 PM

Most rings are supposed to have a manufacturer's make that denote the top of the ring.
There is a "profile" to the ring that is important.
I want to ask about your machine shop- did that fit the pistons to the bores? My does and always asks for the pistons before they do any cylinder work. This way sizing is near perfect and its up to me to assemble correctly from there.
I hope th pic helps...
Never mind the manfu...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ringtop.jpg (132.8 KB, 15 views)
Unread 03-31-2013, 02:53 PM

thanks for the picture of the ring ,i will check when i pull motor apart,but dont recall anythng as far as marks.i did give the machine shop and the bore the cylinders out accordingly.
Unread 03-31-2013, 02:57 PM

i did give the machine shop my new pistons and they bored the cylinders out acording to the specs for that motor size. i guess its possible they overbored a cylinder
Unread 03-31-2013, 03:07 PM

Or you have the wrong rings, etc. Like in a previous post "further inspection required".
But don't feel bad, the first 160 I did I dismounted the engine four times before I got it right- (snapping cam chain links). It's just experience nothing to be afraid of.
Unread 03-31-2013, 05:50 PM

Hey Rum,

My guess would be the second ring was installed upside down. Chamfer on the inside edge usually goes up so that compression helps force it out against the cylinder wall.

If the shop had your pistons then they would not have bored it oversize....unless they got the honing tolerance wrong........usual practice is to check the pistons have the correct clearance from standard bore size.

Kev
Unread 04-01-2013, 01:40 PM

tomorrow i will take apart the top end,not really sure what i will find expecting to see an upside down ring or broken.oil is shooting out the exhaust quite bad,enough to spray on the side of the motor and frame also on the cement of my garage.im guessing it will be quite noticable what ever the problem is.i have ordered exra piston rings online as well as valve guides,hoping to cover any problems i might encounter
Unread 04-01-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegeKev View Post
Hey Rum,

My guess would be the second ring was installed upside down. Chamfer on the inside edge usually goes up so that compression helps force it out against the cylinder wall.

If the shop had your pistons then they would not have bored it oversize....unless they got the honing tolerance wrong........usual practice is to check the pistons have the correct clearance from standard bore size.

Kev
ok thanks kev i will check this as im guessing this may be the problem.what is chamfer on the inside edge goes up
Unread 04-04-2013, 05:33 PM

took motor apart yesterday and found the top ring was upside down,put it back in the right side up back together again and it fired up and running well .thanks to all who repled.next task is a slipping clutch