FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > 1969 Honda CL70 Scrambler!

1969 Honda CL70 Scrambler! My old dirt bike returns!

Unread 07-01-2011, 11:15 AM

My brother just called the carb just arrived I started the bike up yesterday with no carb engine sounds great just low on oil I was missing the throttle jet in the old carb now I can take it for a spin with the Honda 50 gas tank Haha no petcock yet for the cl70 tank I can't wait to get home
Unread 07-01-2011, 03:59 PM

Hey smithers I had the new carb and it fired right up but wouldn't idle got it to idle and tried to tune it a little more and it died and can't get it to start now how do I set the carb to get it started again and how do I tune that thing
Unread 07-02-2011, 09:32 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Where did the new carb come from? Is it an original Honda one? You have to crack it open and see what number jets you have in it with a magnifying glass. That will tell you if someone had been experimenting with it. Lemme know what you find. Gotta make sure it's getting enough fuel so you might have to adjust the float inside the thing. Lemme know what you find in there.

Last edited by Smithers; 11-02-2011 at 05:29 PM.
Unread 07-02-2011, 09:51 PM

Hey smithers I got the 22mm carb from ophir eBay store its a Chinese carb the packaging says KaiNing it fired up with feathering the throttle but my brother moved one of the adjusting screws and it died and the screws were moved too much how do I set the carb to get it to fire up and how to fine tune from there the carb box says jh70??
Unread 07-02-2011, 09:57 PM
Admin

No instructions? I'm Shocked! LOL well there is a screw for the idle adjust and then another screw for .... well here read this: http://www.ct70honda.com/Tuning.html

There are also all sorts of sites telling you how to tune those little carbs so use the Google! You got some reading to do. When you give up you can send it to me and I can try it out. You just gotta monkey around with it some and you might be able to get it working. I prefer the stock carb and the stock settings. You can't go wrong with that but with your new one you will have to experiment for a while to get it going.
Unread 07-13-2011, 07:33 AM

Hey smithers, Its been a while since I've been on but in that time I've been riding around on the bike lol. So I used a shot of starting fluid in the back of the carb and the engine fired up with both carb adjustment screws closed and slowly backed out the screws til the engine ran with the gasoline and was able to get it to idle put the air filter on and tried to drive it and I pulled the accelerator and it bogged down and died so I assume its somethin with the throttle stop screw whatever I did same outcome after this I new it was something else come to find out the fuse that came with the brand new battery, I pulled out the fuse looks like perfect condition and I turn it upside and one cap falls off of it and it looked like someone tried to glue it on there lol so I jump the fuse and the bike has acceleration now tuned the carb the best I could, still needs a few adjustments I've got it up to 50mph but the lights don't always work too well when u turn on the head light or turn signals the bike jerks around and bogs down and u lose almost all acceleration all the lights are operational except for the following; right turn signals seem to work properly 90% of the time sometimes they don't want to blink, the left turn signals seem to only want to work 10% of the time not blinking but remain lit. The readouts from my battery seems to be a constant 6.34V and I accidentally ordered a rectifier not knowing it was located under the seat of the bike lol so I have used both rectifiers with the same results. I have wired the new rear tail light with the green/ with yellow stripe and the brown wire to the hot lead on the brake light and grounded to frame and my neutral light burnt out some how and checked the wiring everything seems fine tried 3 different bulbs no illumination no more burnt bulbs any ideas
Unread 07-13-2011, 07:36 AM

So the bulbs I had ordered all the extra ones were no good I switched the high beam indicator with the neutral went riding and the neutral light burnt out again
Unread 11-02-2011, 05:35 PM
Admin

So you have the Lifan engine in the bike now?

About your electrical gremlins: The wiring harness connectors always corrode on these bikes just enough to start screwing things up. Turn signals probably won't work if you have a stock original wiring harness. Also the horn will hardly work. BUT the engine will run fine typically. When I was young I cut out all the connectors and soldered the wires together and WHAM everything worked awesome. Here is my post about all the Honda CL70 wiring harness.

Tags
cl 70, cl70, lifan