FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 04-21-2010, 03:29 PM

Default picked up my baby ummm problems?

well i picked up my 1965 benly and it fit right in the back of my SUV
>
well it happened just like you said it would. when i arrived to pick the bike up he loosened the handlebars and turned them down and yes CUTTING the wires in half!#@%* I told him what he did and he knocked 150 bucks of the bike but it seems after taking the bars off after i got home that it was a blessing because the wires were all jacked up, they weren't even connected to the switches because both switches were broken!
>
i have the following NOS parts - left side switch, mirrors, tank emblems headlight rim, grips, and cables and still looking for more
>
i'm currently looking for a switch for the right side ( starter )
and a nice front fender
>
i'll post pic's as soon as it stops raining, thanks for all your help!!!
>
Have a Hondafull Day
Unread 04-21-2010, 05:13 PM

I have rebuilt many switches. As long as the inside parts are not broken they can be redone. Is the fender gone or just smashed up? Smashed up can be saved as well.

I would take on the repairs if your interested
Unread 04-21-2010, 05:28 PM

thanks for your help i'll take pic's of the switches tomorrow and send them to you to check out
>
as for the fender - its in need of repair the common back area and a split on the front, i was looking for a replacement till i made one right again i'll send some pics
>
and Thanks again,lou
>
have a Hondafull Day
Unread 05-06-2010, 09:43 PM

OK my baby wouldn't start?
>
so i checked the plus and the wires were jack ( broken in half and joined back together). I pulled the coil out and you were right Spokes I pulled the wires right out of the coil i didn't even have to remove the the plastic resin no resistance. I'll replace the wires with 7mm spark plug wire aka; snowmobile. I'll also pick 2 NKG caps with rubber seals from honda mini trail.
>
2nd problem was when i pushed the starter button all i got was a click? I pulled the stater switch out and i'm not sure how to test it maybe i should just replace it???
>
3rd problem i have is with the petcock my lever doesn't work so someone put a brass shutoff valve in the rubber line. I bought a petcock but it looks different than the one i have now so i'm not sure if i should use it? can the experts determine its true DNA ( year,model)
>
tks for your help and have a Hondafull Day

*SP wires.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg **SP wires.jpg (95.3 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg **PC frt.jpg (91.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg **PC bk.jpg (91.0 KB, 18 views)
Unread 05-07-2010, 03:39 AM

That looks like the correct petcock to me. Post a pic of the one you have on the bike; might be the wrong one.
Unread 05-07-2010, 05:24 AM

The petcock in the pic is the exact for the year Honda you have. The one you purchased off of ebay, is exact. It was a petcock that was traded for with another member of this forum. The person who sold it to you needed the cash to complete his CA160 as funds are tight.

You bought the rebuilt polished petcock from me.

Hold on or sell the old one. Sometimes the corrosion is so bad they are locked up. It is being sent today.

Last edited by Spokes; 05-07-2010 at 05:29 AM. Reason: sp
Unread 05-07-2010, 05:29 AM

The "click" means the starter solenoid is working. Clean the starter cable contacts and make sure the battery is fully charged.

Then check under the bike. The starter wire runs under the engine. Once in a while they get smashed or broken. I have an extra if you need it.
Unread 05-07-2010, 08:39 AM

Thanks everyone for your help!
>
i'll trace the wire to the starter if its like the spark plug wires then i could see why it doesn't spin
>
as for the battery i bought a Battery Tender to keep the charge up to snuff
>
i also bought the wiring for my coil and will order the caps also
>
heres a pic of the petcock thats on my bike, the fuel outlet is on the right side
>
yes i thought that petcock might be the one you posted pic's of it looks Marvelous Spokes thanks
>
does anyone have the paint code for these babies ( scarlet red ) ?
>
thanks and have a HondaFull Day
Attached Images
File Type: jpg my PC w arrows.jpg (50.9 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg **PC frt w arrows.jpg (91.4 KB, 17 views)
Unread 05-10-2010, 03:36 PM

well i tried to jump the starter solenoid NO go
>
i then ran a wire from the battery hot to the starter and NOTHIN, it was hot i checked it on the starter case and it sparked
>
so i need to pull the starter off and check the brushes or just take it in to be rebuilt?
>
did anyone ID the petcock pic i posted? the fuel outlet is on the left side of the petcock?
>
i just received my new spark plug wires 7mm and caps as per Mr. Spokes instructions for rebuilding the coil, one step closer!
>
i'l check the point gap and see if this baby will start?
>
thanks for your help and have a HondaFull Day
Unread 05-10-2010, 04:24 PM

The petcock in the pic is the correct one for the bike. Your replacement should be there this week. Just install the new one and your good to go.

The starter has an inspection plate. Once removed, you can see the brushes.
Chances are that the grease in the starter bushings has gone hard. If you have a place to take it to, do it. You can take the starter apart easily and lube it again and put it back together again. It is a basic starter motor. The worst case would be bad field coils.

You can always kick start the bike to get it running first.
Unread 05-10-2010, 04:40 PM

Spokes my petcock just got delivered and it looks Marvelous
>
i got a spare engine when i bought the bike and it has the starter on it so i'll take it out of that one to learn how to do it without messing things up and check it out and replace it with the one thats in the bike now
>
i'm letting the silicone dry on the coil now and its a go i hope
>
thanks again for your help
Unread 05-10-2010, 06:08 PM

Cool. Post your old one on ebay. Someone will pick it up. Maybe I will bid on it..you never know.

The starter is easy. Just remember to unscrew the field coil contact at the brushes when you take it apart. Clean everything with electrical contact cleaner and relube the bushings with synthetic grease and reassemble.

There is no need to remove the field coils. Just spray clean them in place. You can bench test the starter motor. If it works, just swap it out.
Unread 05-14-2010, 11:50 AM

ok i threw in the towel and i'm taking the bike to Charlies Place ( a haven for old hondas )
>
i just don't have the tools and technical abilities to get it right but i know i'll learn
>
i took the starter off my extra motor and way to much stuff to remove for me, i don't want to mess up my bike just yet
>
replaced the spark wires /boots on the coil
>
tried setting the point gap
>
replaced the petcock with the Spokes special, oh the other one i had is off a Ca77 the fuel outlet is on the left side of the petcock because it mounts on the right side of the tank not the left side as on the CA95
>
he'll also fix my starter
>
oops i almost forgot, i bought a set of Buco Saddlebags and i'm looking for the ( bullet ) light set up with housing / lens and all but i can't seem to find them?? anyone no a source?
>
thanks for all your HELP and have a HondaFull Day
Unread 05-14-2010, 01:38 PM

I have built and restored many Buco Twinmaster Saddlebag lights. But at this time I can only get painted bodies. You can still get the original Buco bag lens at www.stratolite.com You can also salvage the original bodies if you have them. Check the Buco thread in this forum.

I have also restored the bags and I build new original copy but improved hangers out of stainless steel.

I have just finished a method of wiring the bags without drilling holes. I will post a pic when I send them out to one my contacts.
Unread 05-14-2010, 05:48 PM

i don't have any lights or setup for them
>
i did get my hands on some brackets minus a few pieces
>
the black arrows is what i have and the red arrows is what i'm lacking
>
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Buco Bags w_Quick Release Mount Kit arrows.jpg (50.0 KB, 24 views)