FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > Cool Motorcycle Pictures & Stuff

Cool Motorcycle Pictures & Stuff Other motorcycle related stuff and some pictures.

Unread 02-22-2010, 05:53 PM

Default CA95 Engine Restoration

Hello,
I'm new here. Wondering if there are any old Honda experts out there. I am restoring a '65 150 Dream. I have most of the engine parts needed to rebuild it except for one piece - the cam chain tensioner (plastic roller on an aluminum arm) Does anyone know where to find a replacement? Thanks for the help.
Unread 02-22-2010, 10:12 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Hi there. Are you asking for a brand new one? The original ones seem to last forever unless it's corroded or something.
Unread 02-23-2010, 12:20 PM

check item 260196281370 on ebay $14.99 + shipping. You get the arm/roller, adjustment nut & bolt with the spring and pusher. It's for a 1966 CA95 and will work on your 1965 CA95
Unread 02-23-2010, 04:18 PM

Default Cam chain adjuster

Hello,
well its not really corrosion problem. The aluminum arm is fine. The black plastic wheel is a little bit marked up. Might be okay to reuse it but I would hate to have it fail after having rebuilt the engine. What do you guys think?
Unread 02-23-2010, 04:24 PM

Default Cam Chain Tensioner

Hi guys,
I had a look at the piece on Ebay and yes it does like like the item I am looking for however it is difficult to determine if it is better than the one I have.
Unread 02-23-2010, 07:14 PM

To be truthfull, the last CA95 engine I rebuilt, had a rough wheel and I used it anyway. I ran the bike almost 800 miles and sold it. From what I hear from the new owner, the bike is running fine.

So if the wheel is a bit rough, from my experience, OK to use.

Just a case in point opinion. Some may argue one way or another.

I do have an extra tensioner wheel, it too is not perfect.

The listing on ebay was special because it had the tensioner screw....can't find those anywhere, had mine been bad I would of bought it in a heartbeat.
Unread 02-23-2010, 10:39 PM
Admin

Yeah I had my pick of two different ones when I put my engine back together. I just used the one that seemed to look better. I never even thought about looking for a newer one. As long as it spins it's fine.
Unread 02-24-2010, 04:31 PM

I was thinking about reusing the tensioner and your answers just helped me decide. On another note for the same engine, what is your take on engine electrical (stator) The wiring on my stator looks a little brittle. Do you think it wise to replace it? Not really sure on testing it beyond a continuity test?
Unread 02-24-2010, 10:36 PM

The wiring that you see may appear brittle, but it may be the outer insulation that has that appearance. You can only test it on the bike. So what I look for is: 1.) Exposed wires that the insulation is missing.
2.) Are the wire ends (going to the harness) tight and clean?

If it looks OK then reuse it. It is an easy part to replace once the bike is back together.

I have one that has an exposed wire, I may just try an experiment and coat the open wire with liquid tape. Sometimes with old electrical stuff, you just have to take your chances.
Unread 02-25-2010, 05:05 PM

Thanks for the information. I don't have too much experience with bike engines (my other hobby is my 65 Mustang) I'll reassemble with this stator providing no "opens" are found. Let us know how the liquid tape thing works

Jim
Unread 02-25-2010, 05:32 PM
Admin

I've never seen a classic Honda stator NOT work. Odds are it's not a problem. If there are any cracks in those wires just put some 3M electrical tape around em.
Unread 02-25-2010, 09:09 PM

Ah the 65 Mustang. I had a 65 Mustang in 1969, my senior year in high school. Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, Beatles, Bob Dylan, Janis all alive and on my 8 track...
Unread 03-28-2010, 03:52 PM

Default Cam Tensioner

Okay got the timing marks for the cam chain install figured out.(Thanks guys for your help) The next question: how is the tensioner adusted? Can anyone explain the procedure?

As a side note, I had to have some pretty extensive repair done on the cylinder head. A previous owner stripped one of the spark plug threads - then tried to rethread it larger which left a huge hole. I took it to a local automotive machine shop for repair. The hole was welded shut before reboring and restoring to the original spark plug thread. I was impressed with the end result. Amazing what can be done, although it wasn't exactly cheap.
Unread 03-28-2010, 07:04 PM

This is one procedure that is a bit foggy when it comes to what the manual states and what I have done in the past.

The manual asks to remove a exaust tappet cover and rotate the engine in reverse direction until the exaust valve begins to operate. With the adjusting nut loose, screw the adjusting screw down until the screw touches the cam chain tensioner and tighten the adjusting nut.

If you can't do that procedure, then just turn the adjusting screw in until it touches the cam chain tensioner.

From experience, the best thing to do is to install a new cam chain when rebuilding the engine. I did not replace the chain when I did mine and I visually adjusted the chain to give the chain about 1/8 inch of movement (looking at the cam chain through the removed cam chain cover at the top of the engine)

If you hear the chain while the engine is running, you have some adjustment room. If you still hear the chain, it should be replaced.
Unread 03-29-2010, 05:23 PM

Okay sounds like a reasoanble procedure. It will be a while before I am at the "engine running stage" I will check with my local Honda dealer for a new chain however I know they hate looking up the "old stuff" for me

Last time I checked with them for obsolete parts I lucked out with a new old stock engine kill switch for my ST90. Must have been the only one left in Canada