FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > Honda Dream CA160

Honda Dream CA160 The old black horse

Unread 06-27-2013, 04:48 AM

Default My trusty steed....

Some of you know I've had a Red 66 ca160 for sometime, original except for a seat recover and engine rebuild- since the rebuild she runs fantastic and is doing very well. As I was hauling the bike to a show last weekend I got the proverbial "dude with a fist full of cash" wave me off the highway as he was interested in the bike.
Yesterday I delivered the bike to its new owner, Jimmy a retired and semi-disabled fire fighter, with really big smile on his face.
While bittersweet for me it IS the foundation of what I am doing right now- trying to place vintage bikes into the hands of those who want the nostalgic experiences of their youths. Along the way I get to meet some really nice folks too.
I try to track the market on these bikes- I sold this for $1800 what I consider to be a fair price for (what I consider) an original bike. I think a high end value could have been about $2000-2200. Just fyi...
Now I have a CA95 project :Tangerine Dream, a CB350 k2 (Survivor Bike- refurbing) and a CL350 "$500 Cafe Bike". I do know where there is a CA77 locally so I may to pick that up just to keep Spokes around.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CA16069.jpg (105.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2052.jpg (276.6 KB, 14 views)
Unread 06-27-2013, 07:08 AM

wow, great deal for a nice original bike.
Unread 06-27-2013, 02:54 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Wow that was a good deal for that guy. 2 grand is just a few tanks of fuel these days. You made that gentleman's day that is for sure.
Unread 06-27-2013, 04:40 PM

I'm not out to make a killing and I'd rather see the smiles, but I don't give bikes away either. I also offer a buy back or at least first right of refusal. Like the wife tells me I can't keep them all and now we've got some funds for the next project.
Ryan I need an Aisin AMR300 ( air pump) or similar cheap let me know if you have access please....
Unread 06-27-2013, 06:05 PM
Admin

Funny little things the AMR300. They are cheap compared to real turbos and stuff I'm used to.
Unread 06-28-2013, 03:30 AM

Cheap is good, just a stupid project, thinking about a blown 160/175.
I know wtf am I thinking....
Unread 06-30-2013, 10:11 PM
Admin

Haha I wouldn't push those rods and bearings! I don't even want to think about what the transmission would do under more power. You would just need to make sure you made very clean shifts I suppose - treat the clutch like an off and on switch so you don't burn it.

You would get much better performance out of a custom camshaft and some head work. At least the headwork and shaving it down would be cheap and give you a boost in performance. I'm sure Sam knows the situation inside and out. There are lots of tricks that can drain your life away trying to gain some more performance. An electric ignition kit would really help too. It's fun to think about I'll give you that.
Unread 07-01-2013, 03:32 AM

Little engineering projects are good and fun for me to think about.
Huffing a 160 is just insane but sounds like fun. I'd just be planning on underdriving and dial the boost way down.
And i am working (slowly) on a electronic trigger kit for these bikes. The components are about $10-20 so a $150-300 for aftermarket stuff is steep.
I's love to hear what Sam says about head work.There doesn't seem like much to do in these little heads. And I wish there were more cams to choose from....
Unread 07-02-2013, 04:52 PM
Admin

I know guys that have made their own cranks and rods to hop these little old Hondas up. Maybe I'll try and get some pictures of some of the parts they have laying around. I just watched/ helped a friend put a digital ignition on a 1976 Norton Atlas on Sunday. I've put kits on Kohler and Briggs engines - super simple. I couldn't help thinking about making a kit for my own old Hondas.