FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Truck Talk > LEXUS 1UZ-FE Engine Swap

LEXUS 1UZ-FE Engine Swap My blood sweat and tears. It will be worth it!!

Unread 05-01-2010, 06:24 PM

Default 1UZ in 88 4runner MAYBE

Hey there, i have been reading alot about doing this swap into all types of vehicles. So i have a 91 1UZ that i was going to put into my cherokee. BUT the firewall will have to be modified WAY to much to get it done. So i have pretty much scraped that idea.

BTW the ls400 bellhousing bolts directly to the cherokee AW4 auto. That is why i even considered it in the first place. But have never come across this combo yet done.

So Now i have an 86 & 88 4runner's, both with 22re's, the 86 is an automatic and the 88 is a manual.

I like the 88 more due to it is a SR5 model and the interior is much nicer than the 86. But the engine is not in the 88 and is begging for the 1UZ

SO since it is a manual trans and after reading how much it took to modify and adapt a manual to a 1UZ. I am really decided on using a Auto trans.

Well now i really would like to find out if anyone knows why i could not use the AW4 trans behind the 1UZ in my 88 SR5. The AW4 has its own computer in the cherokee. & i have wired this trans in behind newer Jeep wrangler engines with great success.
Unread 05-02-2010, 09:13 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Sounds like you would be the first to try it! I'm going to look into this a little to get familiar with the setup. I also know a Jeep expert or two to get their opinion. Full time AWD would be sweet! I thought about using the Landcruiser drivetrain as well.
Unread 05-14-2010, 09:40 AM

Found another 88 4runner parts rig for $200. It had a 6cyl. It still has the r150 manual trans & t-case in it. Also got it for some of the interior parts, like the rear heat center console and a perfectly non'cracked dash,

SO now i have a good R150 manual trans (same as the jeep AX-15) and thought it would be great behind the 1UZ, but i can not find a bellhousing to adapt it.
Unread 05-14-2010, 10:06 AM

Okay i just found the place in Australia that makes all types of bellhousings,

http://www.dellowconversions.com.au/index.html

anyone ever buy from them ?
Unread 06-10-2010, 02:19 AM

>>> To forward to the people.
Unread 07-30-2010, 04:04 PM

Well i have been really wanting to start this swap but my job has been extremely busy right now.
Great thing about the delay is while at the local salvage i found a fresh 94 SC400 that had been wrecked down the side. So the engine was still in great condition.

It is a you pull and save salvage yard. So for 250 i got the engine, harness, ignitors, MAF & computer. It didn't come with alt, A/C comp, or steering pump. But those are easy to get latter.

going to stick with the Automatic after finding out how expensive the manual trans swap parts will be.

Also located a solid front axle for 100 i will be picking up next week as well.

Hope to start on this swap in a month or so if i get the chance, I have to do the paying jobs first you know.
Unread 04-18-2011, 07:40 AM

Do you have a gray center console with rear heat that you would sell? I am looking for 1 with a working lid will pay top dollar.
Unread 04-24-2011, 08:28 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Any luck with the swap? It's a huge process and I spent a year gathering parts and studying what I should do before I started. If you stick with it you can do it though. There are guys that do this outside on the side of their houses with crappy hand tools. And they get it done so fast its shocking. I went a little overboard with mine but if I left it stock and just concentrated on putting the engine in I could have done it in less than half the time.