FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > Aprilia Mille RSVR - 1st Generation

Unread 02-20-2011, 06:32 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers
Default How To Change Aprilia Mille RSVR & RSV Spark Plugs

It finally happened. My Aprilia Mille wouldn't start up last week at all. When I hit the starter button it turned over fine but no fire. I knew what the problem was. I had never changed the spark plugs since I have owned it. Spark plugs just don't magically wear out when they hit the 20,000 mile mark in autos but in high performance applications they do. I've always been frustrated with spark plugs in all my 2 stroke dirt bikes I owned. They look brand new but they get a little black and they just do not work anymore after such little use. I knew the plugs would look fine in my bike when I took them out but they just don't want to fire like when they were new. The previous owner had just replaced them before I bought the bike with 17,000 on the clock. But now I've turned 32,000 and the Aprilia service log recommends replacing them.

I had searched around for some pictures and advise on the forums and just found random information so I decided to throw up what I have learned and some pics showing how I changed mine out. Surprisingly I read that the job took a few people hours to complete. When I changed mine out it could have easily taken less than an hour. I took my sweet time and took pictures along the way and compared and cleaned my old and new plugs. Next time I do the job it won't take me more than 20 minutes. It's really easy as long as you have some basic tools and some extensions and swivel joints laying around.

STEP 1: Simply remove the seat and the side panels from the bike. Easy enough and you're nearly halfway there already!

Last edited by Smithers; 02-21-2011 at 10:43 AM.
Unread 02-20-2011, 06:43 PM
Admin

Some random information about some variables during this little operaton.
  • Micah over at AF-1 mentions indexing and heat range in a single phrase over on their forum. "Bruce is on it. I see no improvement in outright power from the index but part of putting a motor together for me is eliminating variables and the index is a variable to me. I also have seen no BHP gain from any plug on the V990 and I use an 8 heat range for non track bikes...this is indeed worth mentioning, try the hotter plug, it works MUCH better on the street."
  • Plug gap is between 0.024" and 0.028".
  • DCPR9E - Standard NGK I'm not using anything else.

Next to remove your fuel tank, or at least prop it up, unscrew the mounting bolts and hope you have the little prop rod that is included with the bike originally.

Last edited by Smithers; 02-21-2011 at 10:53 AM.
Unread 02-21-2011, 09:59 AM
Admin

I'm editing more pictures as I just took them yesterday. I just started putting down some notes here to get started.

Now you need to remove a connector and a vent hose from under the box right here and then get to work inside removing 6 allen screws that will allow you to just pull the box right out.

Last edited by Smithers; 02-21-2011 at 10:53 AM.
Unread 02-21-2011, 10:55 AM
Admin

Here I am lifting the bottom half of the airbox out of the Aprilia chassis. Now you have exposed the top of the engine and you can easily access all of the spark plus in the little Rotax 990 engine.

Unread 02-21-2011, 10:58 AM
Admin

The front cylinder spark plugs are the most difficult to get to. Once you pop off the spark plug boots I highly recommend that you get some compressed air and do your best to blow out any rocks, sand or debris that might have gotten trapped down near the spark plugs before you remove them.

Here is a shot of me removing the right side plugs with a short extension for one and I used a swivel joint on the other as well. It was pretty easy and I wouldn't even try this without removing the air box.

Unread 02-21-2011, 11:03 AM
Admin

And I saved the easier plugs for last. Here are the rear cylinder plug caps that you grab hold of and pop off to expose the plugs. Once again don't forget to try and blow out any dirt that might be in there before you take out the plugs.

This is my spare parts engine on my bench here. It's handy to have a good idea of exactly what my engine looks like so I can see every nook and cranny around the plugs before I removed them. I actually just took the plugs from this engine to use. Thanks to RFM I was able to get on riding my Aprilia instead of having to go order some plugs and waiting for em to come in the mail.

Unread 02-21-2011, 11:08 AM
Admin

After just a little bit of work the newer plugs are in and the bike fired right up really easily. For some reason I think the throttle response is a little quicker than usual which was a nice surprise. Don't forget to use just a little bit of anti-seize to make your life easier during the next plug change. I also used a tiny dab of dialectric grease on top of the plug nipple just before I put the caps back on. The grease makes them MUCH easier to get on and off on top of preventing corrosion. I use this stuff on every spark plug I replace no matter what.

Here are the plugs I took out of my Aprilia engine. They LOOK ok and not that worn out but they just wouldn't work. The gap had grown to just over .035" and I'm sure the carbon that had gathered over the 15K miles just was too much for the plugs to operate. I'll be using my spare engine plugs for now but I'll be ordering a new set when I put in another order for motorcycle plugs.

Last edited by Smithers; 05-10-2012 at 11:31 PM.