FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Tools, Electronics & Stereo Stuff > Technology & Electronics

Unread 01-12-2007, 09:09 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

I'm about to start dismantling the monster system I have. The bass is overwhelming and it makes the alternator work too hard. What I want to do it build a subframe to properly support the new box I make. I plan on one 12" and two amps for it all instead of the three. I have a 1 farad cap and I'm not sure what config I want to run the EQ's. I might upgrade to a new Fosgate unit that controls it all. It's really hard not to buy one of those new Fosgate amps! I need one of those new Fosgate amps. They look nice and clean.

Unread 01-12-2007, 09:10 PM
Admin

Ok since I started looking at stereo stuff again....
Here is what I'm running as of now without the beauty panels. I plan on taking everything out soon and downsizing a little in order to cut back on the power draw and, more importantly, weight. As you can see all of the components I'm running are not light at all. The speakers are surprisingly heavy in particular.

I want to run a single sub in a box that will contain everything and allow me to store more stuff on top of it like a shelf. It's going to be much better and also sit inside a tubular frame mounted on rubber isolators. Fun stuff.
Unread 02-02-2007, 11:04 PM
Admin

So here is my new amp. This baby just arrived in the mail hot from Ebay. Hopefully not really "hot" and I hope it works like new... why wouldn't it since it can't have many hours on it.

Looking good and measuring up to be pretty large in surface area.

Here is the crappy part. The seller just wrapped the factory box in crate paper and threw it in the bin at USPS.

Great! I sent him a couple extra bucks to take care of the insurance but if you read the fine print shippers don't honor the insurance if the items aren't packed in appropriate insulation (4in of peanuts or foam for example) so what was the point of me paying insurance!!

What an Ebay noob. The screws were also rattling around in the box when I picked it up so I just had to hope that it wasn't spare parts rolling around in there. Ah well the price was right. Even though the box was collapsed (only 1in of foam stip was in the package on the ENDS of the amp) the amp should work just fine. Mine have survived a ton of abuse on and off road so I have confidence in their ruggedness.
Unread 01-27-2009, 11:58 AM

I just Put a system in My New Sequoia. This is a cool site. Thanks for the info on it. I did the Jl audio 750x1 HD and the l audio 600x4Hd. Super small amps great power. All Jl speakers in the doors ZR series in front and XR in the back and two 10" Jl in slot ported box. It sounds awesome. I did the Pioneer head unit avic90bt with Bluetooth Nav TV etc. Nice unit so far. I powered it with the 2 Gauge JL kit. I m gonna go look around this site. Thanks again.. Heres some Crappy Phone pics of the amps. I still want to make an amp Rack.

Unread 01-27-2009, 05:55 PM
Admin

Nice setup. Take some good pics when you get a chance. I'm a big fan of JL and a good friend of mine works for JL indirectly in marketing. He has JL all over his 5.8L big block Jeep Cherokee AWD. That's good stuff. I just have Fosgate since my amps put out massive power for what they are and the speakers I have are the old good ones that kick butt.

I'm going to grab myself a Fosgate 3sixty.2 to replace all those Audio Control boxes and also take place of the crossovers. This will clean things up quite a bit. I'm still trying to decide if I want to run 2 of my subs in the back or just one since space is so limited in the back of my truck.