FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > Aprilia Mille RSVR - 1st Generation

Unread 05-07-2008, 03:49 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Well I pulled the trigger on a deal I couldn't pass up. A gentleman on the East Coast was so kind as to sell me his complete Akrapovic exhaust which features Titanium headers and carbon fiber muffler. I won't be able to use the chip as it was tuned for a modified engine and mine is basically stock inside. But what the hell, the Aprilia Factory Titanium system chip might be close in terms of a basic tune so I might just give it a try as it is. Option #2 involved putting the system on the shelf for now and using my Ti can for now while I setup the bike. Then I can make an appointment in the future with a tuner when I find some more money somewhere! :lol:

The system was worth every penny I think. The titanium basically weighs next to nothing. Oh and the scale is a joke I know! :lol: But I'm not going to drop things and pay for a better one at this time, I just want to ride again.

I wish I had a scale to measure grams...
Unread 05-07-2008, 03:56 PM
Admin

And of course I had to weigh the stuff on my scientific scale. The weight savings is substantial.

And in this corner weighing innnnn @ 6.5 pounds: The stock headers

And in this coRNer stepping on the scale with a mean growl the Titanium headers weighing a feather weight 2.5 POUNDS! crazy
Unread 05-07-2008, 04:03 PM
Admin

And it only gets better. Here is the factory Aprilia titanium can which is light to begin with:

I didn't expect the carbon fiber to be much lighter because no matter what it still has to be thick enough not to crack or get damaged from vibration. This is a brand new can that is the newer generation carbon fiber can that is stronger than the first run of exhaust pipes that were prone to damage.

A weight savings of about 1.5 lbs. I'll take it and be happy. Not like I'm racing anyone but I could easily tell the weight saving with the OZ rims and I'm pretty excited about dropping off the additional pounds on the exhaust as well.
Unread 05-11-2008, 07:39 PM
Admin

Holy crap I got a good scare tonight when installing the headers... I removed the old ones and realized that I needed some flanges for the Akrapovics but didn't know where they were! I looked around for a while and found them deep inside the box of foam peanuts thank goodness! That was scary thinking I would have to make some myself! It can be done but would just take MORE time.

Just for reference this exhaust system is for a 2001 Akrapovic exhaust for the Aprilia Mille. I'm sure it will work on the 2000.5 although a lot of people talk about the 01 and newer frame/chassis being a tad shorter. That's why I'm putting it on now... I gotta make sure it fits so I'll be ready to ride once the rest of my parts come in.
Unread 05-11-2008, 09:44 PM
Admin

YEAP she fits perfect. Mission accomplished. What awesome craftsmanship and design.

I scored the deal of the century on this system. It wasn't free but you just can't order this system anymore and they don't exist in this pristine condition. Very lucky to have found this for sale. HUGE THANKS OUT TO JASON out on the East Coast for hooking me up with this system! This is becoming the bike I've always wanted thanks to the box of goodies you sent out to me. Considering the brand new 1098's, new Triumph Speed Triples, and other miscellaneous hotbikes in our group I'll need some extra bling and some HP for sure to keep up with these guys!
Unread 05-11-2008, 09:57 PM
Admin

So here is my new tuner shop. My main man @ Kyleracing in Sand City is going to hook me up with a Power Commander and a couple maps on his dyno. These guys KNOW twins and will have no problem squeezing some HP out of the Rotax now featuring this nice Akrapovic full titanium/carbon fiber system. I had the pleasure of being introduced to them this weekend and what a shop!! If you want to see a big row of new Ducatis being modified follow this on over to the Kyle Racing speedshop.
Unread 05-12-2008, 06:14 AM
Admin

Just to condense/ organize my threads here are a couple pictures of the system before I owned it.

It will be pretty interesting to feel the difference of the Akrapovic system vs. my Aprilia brand titanium race muffler. I'm also predicting it will be a tad quieter but then again the titanium exhaust headers will be louder then the steel. Hmm it's going to sound different all across the board I'm thinking.