FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 05-01-2011, 04:41 AM

Default headlight bulb

Thanks for the info on the asian light. I need to order mufflers anyway so i think I will keep it simple and use the tiwanese light. Thanks Curt
Unread 05-01-2011, 05:09 AM

When I first thought about this problem I thought a lot of autos used sealed square head lights, and using the dimensions one may be found super close and that you could use a capacitor to soak up the extra 6v.

Here's a place you should be able to get one meant to be a replacement part it's not exactly cheap either.

http://www.westernhillshondayamaha.com/

07 HEADLIGHT ASSY.
33100-203-000 (replaces 33120-203-000) 001 $91.66

Search by part number.

All the Dream headlights are the same.
From '59 forward.
CA92, CA160 work too, from what I understand.

You might want to first verify whether the part you order is:
a Actual Sealed Beam Or the Replacement Part which uses a Replaceable Bulb.

It's Possible to also Fabricate a bulb adaptor socket for a 6V 55w H-4 Halogen Bulb.

HUGE improvement in Lighting, the System Will handle it,,but it Should be run on a separate line with a Relay.
Which is Easy to Do with no cable slicing & it takes a BUNCH of load off the Light Switch.
Good Luck to all those hoping to not be left in the dark...sorry i couldnt resist
Unread 05-01-2011, 06:35 AM

Red face

I have to say that I kind of cheated with my headlight . I took the chrome trim ring off of the headlamp assembly,removed the glass lense , removed the old light socket form the back of the headlamp and soldered a 2 post taillight recepticle to the back . I used an 1156 bulb and reassembled the glass lense and trim ring .
Not the brightest in the world ( no night driving ) but it does illuminate high/Low beam and passes a state inspection .
Unread 05-01-2011, 07:15 AM

Default 6v bulbs with high/low beam ability.

I did some more digging around and ran across this place http://www.taillightking.com/Headlight_bulbs.htm cut and paste that sucker in your browser if it doesnt show as a link...theres 6v high/low beam bulbs on there plus other bulb goodies. The old willy's jeeps were 6v as well come to think of it. I guess it varies by state but I think here in N.C. if you have a antique/vintage you get to by pass the inspections ordeal.
Unread 05-01-2011, 10:38 AM

Default headlight bulb

I already spoken with the guys at Western Hills. They told me that all the chrome parts(oem) are gone. There has been a big interest in restoring old Benleys for the last 10 years. If you put a 12 volt bulb on a 6 volt system the bulb will glow but will not develop any where near full brightness. Simple fact of physics, there isnt enough pressure to force enough watts thru the filament.
I have already gone through the site of the taillight guy in North Carolina and
found that most of his 6 volt headlight bulbs require a socket that he sells for 217.00 Too pricey for my blood. The VW bulb that I referred to in a previous reply comes with the socket and is 10.00
I have looked for a 6 volt H4 bulb but at this point I havent found one. I think that 6 volt systems were outdated before Halogens were invented.
At this point, I think that the asian reproduction is the easiest, cheapest alternative, but Im open to other ideas. Also Spokes has already tried the repro and reported that it worked well. Thnks Curt
Unread 05-01-2011, 03:40 PM

I have a 1965 CA95 and I bought it from a guy in Ohio. When I got it here (CA) I couldn't wait to ride it. And RIDE IT I DID!!! Well until I got pulled over by the police. He first told me how cool the bike was and that he pulled me over to TWO reasons. One was so he could get a closer look at the bike and Two was that my brake lights were barely visible. So after talking to my husband he took a closer look at the bike. Someone put a 12v bulb in the 6v. housing. And yeah, you could barely see it come on.
Unread 05-01-2011, 08:23 PM

You can take some load off the CA95/160 electrical system with 6 Volt L.E.D. dual contact "bulbs". I found exact fitting sockets at superbrightleds.com Look for 6 Volt- 1157-R19. They come in Red an White. I bought a bunch just to have.

Last edited by Spokes; 05-01-2011 at 08:25 PM. Reason: add pic
Unread 05-04-2011, 03:41 PM

thanks spokes. been thinking about this. do we want the 15 or 100 option. Looks like, from the illustration, the 100 is brighter, so I am assuming that. also, I am assuming that we want one of them that does not list 12vdc, then it is just order and install.
Unread 05-04-2011, 06:26 PM

I'm not sure. I have a few extra, I will send you one. PM me one more time with an address.
Unread 05-06-2011, 04:29 AM

I was doing some more research and digging I was and possibly still am really considering switching over to 12 volt because people are making it sound very easy...one of those places mentioned the 6v leds etc. using BA9s as their descriptor for 6v bikes. So I googled BA9s and came up with some solutions that might keep me on 6v for now here is the page for the new stuff... http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...A9S6_specs.htm and here is the page I sourced it from good for anyone in the UK... http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/goffyleds.htm at the bottom of that page theres lots of good info links just click the lil dot beside what you wanna see. If you want to find the same versions of that niffty link stuff in the US or other countries google the numbers for the part and see what happens...

Last edited by Jetblackchemist; 05-06-2011 at 04:44 AM.
Unread 05-06-2011, 05:53 AM

Default Change to 12 volt

Wouldnt changing to 12 volt involve replacing ll the coils of wire in the stator and rotor? In order to get twice the voltage you would need twice the wraps, I think. Will the rectiifier handle the additional voltage also? it seems that the changeover would involve reinventing the wheel. To my understnding the only electrical part that is unobtanium is the headlight and it can be replaced with the VW bulb or the headlight assembly being replaced with the Tiwanese aftermarket unit. Curt
Unread 05-06-2011, 09:35 AM

I have some experience with these 6 volt batteries from a old yamaha enduro I had years ago, and I'm not a fan of being a battery nanny, or it just saying poof i'm done. Of course back then There was only trickle charge with the caps off so it wouldn't take them off for you lol...maybe its better with the new tenders I dunno. But from some sites i've explored indepth talking about the switch over they say its not that hard, that the rectifier etc. hold up fine that even one of these coils can take a lot more than 12 volts. They pretty much say all you need is a voltage regulator 12v bulbs and a battery and your good to go...I have not done this as of yet personally so it's hear say right now, but they said when they went over to 12 volts they didnt change but those 3 things in the early models, whether thats the case or not i honestly dont know, since i havent back checked all of what they said, i'm still in the R of the D all research and as of yet no development... I thought i'd add a direct quote from someone thats made the switch... "on my '74 CB125 motor with a standard (not rewound) alternator. It's been running on 12v for about 500 miles now with a 35w halogen headlight and heated grips.

I bought a Royal Endield regulator/rectifier off ebay for £12, then all I did was connect the yellow and white wires out the alternator together to one side of the AC input and the pink wire to the other side , then obviously the 12v regulated DC output to a 4.5Ah battery.

Changed the coil and all lamps except the headlamp and indicators to LED and all works fine. I did 160 miles last time out, running with headlamp and Symtec heated grips on all day with no problems. As long as the revs are above 4000rpm with everything
on then the battery is charging." several others on there have done the swap too.

Last edited by Jetblackchemist; 05-06-2011 at 10:09 AM. Reason: needed to add a reference
Unread 05-14-2011, 07:38 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Who want's to do the CA95 12 volt conversion so we can all learn. :-) If I had time I would do one. Too many projects...
Unread 05-14-2011, 08:12 PM

Default lite bulb-12 volt conversion

Even if we do a 12 volt conversion, I dont think that there is a headlight bulb thst properly fits in the ca95.
As best that I can discern, all of the other bulb are available. Its only the headlight that is unobtanium. Since there is no 12 volt bulb available what i the point of making the conversion.
Unless Im badly mistaken, the starter would have to change, the coils, The rectifier and all of the other bulbs. How would you make the rotor and stator provide 12 volt?
Curt
Unread 05-14-2011, 08:20 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Anything can be done! Just takes some time and studying. There are electrical parts houses that could help wind new stators and answer questions. These guys are really good - https://www.ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/index.php Their website is pretty bad. I thought their older one was better. I've talked to them about doing some custom stuff in the past. Really nice people. An appropriate rectifier isn't a problem either. Quit talking me into another project!