FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Website News & Updates > Additional Projects Area

Unread 11-28-2011, 02:15 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers
Thumbs up 1st new project is my 1995 Dodge 2500 Diesel - Begin New Forum Area

I just wanted to have another open forum in which people could show their new projects that don't fall into one of the other categories. Even if you haven't started the project yet you can go ahead and talk about it. For instance you might want to ask "Am I crazy for wanting to restore a 1973 BSA Rocket motorcycle?"

I have a 1995 Dodge 2500 Pickup that I haven't posted anything about so I'll start out with that. I traded the original 3RZ 2.7L engine from my Toyota Tacoma for this truck along with $1,500. The Dodge 2500 Diesel has over 300,000 miles and an automatic transmission. I figure that I need a tow vehicle and a motorcycle transporter so this will be a low-cost way to have a nice truck to drive around to haul things. It's in bad shape but my friend needed my engine for his Tacoma truck and I thought I could use his old diesel truck that he had sitting out in the weeds not being used.

Unread 11-28-2011, 09:17 PM

Thanks for the new thread!!! I have been SICK for the last six days and I have had a lot of time on my hands doing absolutely NOTHING!!! I guess now I could snap a few pictures of the future projects and post them. I love reading about your projects Ryan. What have you been working on lately?
Unread 11-29-2011, 08:08 AM
Admin

Wow you must be REALLY sick for you to not do much for so long. Take some vitamins and eat some healthy food and kick that bug. I've been working on this truck in the majority of my free time and now I have my gf's motorcycle engine on my workbench and I'm psyching myself up to change the timing chain. It's not an easy job and here is why:

Quote:
As far as the shop wanting to charge you a day and a half of labor, that is because in order to change the timing chain on your bike you have to split the cases. Kawasaki got the bright idea to build a chain guide as part of the case molding. So if the chain ever broke it wouldn't slap around the case. This process by the book is a 12 hour job. If you are experienced you could probably do it in 8. But you would also now need new head gasket, side cover gaskets ( if not savable) and obviously anything else that is wrong inside the engine should be repaired at this time. I have heard of some people grinding the built in guide off the case, as this guide is a precaution to chain breakage. Which you hardly ever see on a sport bike. But what you do see is chain stretch to the point that the cam will jump a tooth.
So I'm not all that excited about this little engine project but it's not a problem. It'll just take a day of messing around with it. It will probably take me like 3 or 4 hours. The time that is quoted includes having to take the engine in and out of the bike and that goes by really quick.

Another project I'm helping with is wiring a Lexus V8 engine into a race truck down in Orange County for a friend. The truck is almost done with the new engine already installed but they are just waiting for me to drive down there and wire it up. THAT will be interesting! I'll post pictures of that one as well. I plan on that only taking 2 days. We will see.
Unread 11-29-2011, 09:04 PM

Yeah, that's what happens when you work with little kids!! They like to share EVERYTHING! I am finally feeling better, so it looks like we will be trying to figure out the starting issue of the 3o5. It started a few times, but a day later, it won't start at all. So, we have rechecked the timing, adjusted the points, and changed out the plugs, RECHARGED the new battery, and still NOTHING! So we bought some new points, and we will be installing those now that we are feeling better. I met a new friend in Marin who specializes in 305's and he is willing to take a look at it for me if we can't get it running. (but we haven't given up just yet). I am so ready to ride that thing its driving me insane! My hubby bought a 1952 Indian Brave that is on waiting for a revival. Im sure hunting down parts for that will be a breeze Someday we will get back to our four wheel resto's. They just take so much longer to complete. I will snap a couple of pictures for you and post them. My car is a 1939 Chevy sedan, and his car is a 1938 Ford sedan. Oh course mine is currently in 1001 pieces. The further we get into this thing the more I wish we wouldn't have started it in the first place lol. $$$ Time... there's never enough of it.
Unread 11-29-2011, 11:27 PM
Admin

Are you ready for your own section for the 305? When bikes don't start up it just gives you a great excuse to learn that much more about your motorcycle! At least you will be really familiar with the machine once you fix it up some more. I am hooked on restoring motorcycles. They are much less costly, easier to transport and store, you make much more progress restoring them in a short amount of time and you can pack a few of them into the same floor space that a car or truck takes up.

Never add up your receipts. Just toss them in a box if you must. I prefer getting rid of all of the evidence completely!

My truck is looking nearly complete! Just need to detail out some small parts and continue putting it all back together. I need to pick up my hitch at the powdercoating shop, apply one more coat of clear coat to the upper red/orange portion, clear coat the door jams and apply a spray-in bedliner to make it complete. Then I can work on fun stuff like the stereo system.

Unread 11-30-2011, 10:27 PM

Is that the same dodge that was in the first picture? WOW, it looks so much better. Funny what a little paint can do. The 305 is GOING TO START, even if I have to drag it behind the truck with a rope! lol I am pretty addicted to bikes myself. We were into the vintage car scene for many years, but now that the kids are grown, we prefer the two wheel versions. About the receipts, I prefer to burn them. They make great fire starters!

I frequent the 305 forum for advice and tidbits on the bike, these threads really are a huge assett to all DIY'ers.

I am finding though, for us ONE project at a time is best. Otherwise, parts get lost, or projects get neglected and ultimitely NOTHING gets finished! (learning the hard way) Keep the pictures coming. I love seeing others projects. It keeps me motivated and ..... dreaming.
Unread 12-18-2011, 10:35 PM
Admin

Oh yes same truck. I was also big into classic cars when I was young but I soon realized I was spending WAY too much time working on them. So I put my 1957 Ford Ranchero into storage (still have it up north) and I bought a newer sports car with my hard earned money. On another note I saw a really clean Ranchero the exact same as mine sell for nearly 50 grand at a recent auction!

Two wheel projects rock! We can get them going so much faster and cheaper. This truck is my last car or truck restoration I plan on doing until I retire some day. I need this truck to haul motorcycles and trailers.

This poor old truck basically got a whole facelift. It was really beat up with holes and dents all over it. Plus it had been given a couple coats of cruddy paint on top of some really bad bondo filler. The correct way to fix dents is to pop them out or hammer them out first THEN go over them with body filler. This truck had deep dents that were caked over with filler material.

Now for more pictures! I like to take and post pictures to keep record of everything and for reference in case I need to look back on something in particular.

Unread 12-18-2011, 10:38 PM
Admin

Now I gotta start putting everything back together. I'm glad it's only a 2 door standard cab Dodge truck. There aren't that many parts at all to assemble this truck. It's such a simple box on a frame powered by a diesel engine is all it is.

I made sure that this truck got a two stage base-coat / clear-coat paint job! I knew it would be a lot of work doing the WHOLE truck along with the door jams and everything. Changing the color on any complete car or truck is a lot more work of course. And if I was going to go through the trouble of painting the whole thing I thought I might as well go with a upper and lower color as well as clear coat the whole thing to make sure that it would shine!

Last edited by Smithers; 12-18-2011 at 10:41 PM.
Unread 12-18-2011, 10:45 PM
Admin

I arrived at the shop yesterday determined to get most of the trim installed back on the Dodge truck. I bought some parts that I already had prepped and I also brought my new grill with me that I got off of Ebay for $44 shipped. I can't believe how cheap you can get some parts these days.

Unread 12-18-2011, 10:48 PM
Admin

Here is a look at the grill going together. The steel frame isn't included with the plastic front panel part. I almost threw that sucker away! I remember kicking it around the shop and wondering what the heck it was for. I thought I did throw it away because it's such a strange looking bracket but luckily I found it laying around outside on the ground. Very lucky.

Unread 12-18-2011, 10:56 PM
Admin

And time to put the doors back together. I couldn't find ANY pictures on the internet showing the inside of the door panels. Hopefully this should help some people out in the future.

I thought about using some of my Dynamat stuff I have to line the door panels but I thought it would be a smart move to make sure everything works perfectly and arranged just right before I cover it all with that sound deadening material. It's pretty cool that they were able to make a 6x9 speaker fit in the door panel. That's a huge speaker for a door. Bigger the better.

Had to get the ol' toothbrush out and clean the window switches and the door lock switch. Just have to clean them off good once and they will remain clean from here on out.

Last edited by Smithers; 12-18-2011 at 10:58 PM.
Unread 12-18-2011, 11:00 PM
Admin

I was just able to get the grill and headlights installed before nightfall. Finally the truck looks nearly complete. I had to remove the bumper once again to get the headlights into their stock location. And as I feared I had to remove some really corroded bolts that didn't want to come loose. After some PB Blaster and knuckle busting I was back in business. Headlights back on and I was able to find some new heavy duty nuts and bolts to reinstall the bumper. I can't believe the Dodge 2500 paint job is now complete. It's been a ton of work. I haven't even posted the nitty gritty pictures.

Last edited by Smithers; 12-19-2011 at 02:05 AM.
Unread 12-19-2011, 04:05 AM

The dodge is looking good! If the door panels aren't in great shape, diamond plate sheeting makes for good kick plates and other dresser features besides good tool boxes
Unread 12-19-2011, 07:01 AM
Admin

I got the truck with the old faded panels and a newer looking set which don't fit right. They must be from a much newer Dodge truck. I could paint the originals or go hunting for new ones. And I do have a pile of used diamond plate aluminum in my back yard for such things. Cutting the stuff is one of the things I despise most. Got any tips? I've seen people use skilsaws but that's pretty violent. I haven't seen a good way to do it yet. Although those twin-saws look like they do a good job.
Unread 12-19-2011, 10:10 PM

Wow that truck looks so much better!!!! My '39 Chevy will be finished when I'm 80!!!!