FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 08-26-2013, 03:19 PM

Default cam chain noise

hello fello benly mates. after setting cam chain tensioner ,cam chain is still noisey. is it possible that the cam chain tensioner spring could be stuck or is it possible that my cam chain is worn. any thoughts on this would be appreciated
thanks
Rob from Canada
Unread 08-27-2013, 03:35 AM

Both of those things are possible but a few more details might be helpful. Is it a recent rebuild or still basically original? Have you been doing any maintenance and is the noise new or has it been 'building' for some time.
How did you set the tension this last time?
Sometimes more info is just better.
L
Unread 08-27-2013, 05:52 PM

Default cam chain

the bike has been rebuilt by me pistons ,valves..for the cam adjustment,i loosened the nut then loosened theinside screw,and then screwed it bac in til i felt it touching the cam guide.im not sure if i set the timing at tdc.is this something i should have done with the tdc .
Unread 08-28-2013, 03:44 AM

Pistons and valves, but new cam chain? Either way, the bottom end (crank) should be rotated first in the clockwise direction and then a bout 1/2 rotation in the anti clockwise direction. This puts any chain slack on the side of the tensioner. You can then set the tensioner. Also do you remember inspecting the tensioner pieces upon assembly and were the parts working freely under no tension. The 150 seems less susceptible then the 160 in my opinion as the tensioner is more robust but there are more parts to wear on the 150 than the 160.
Was the intermediate wheel in good condition?
I hope to hear from others on the subject.
Unread 08-28-2013, 05:53 AM

It's a good idea to do the cam chain tensioning before putting the covers on, that way you can see if it is working correctly.

Sam.
Unread 08-30-2013, 04:47 AM

Default cam chain

thanks for all the replies.this is a great information site.i will give the cam chain another adjustment and hopefully quet it down some,dont want to take the covers off at this time as i will be changing the head this fall and hoping to fix this problem first.i did not check the cam chain for being worn as the bike had only 8000 miles but all the pullies were in good shape,did not take the spring out of the cam to see if it was stuck....ps kicking my ass as i am usually quite meticulous..thanks again for all the advice...rob from canada