FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 06-23-2015, 11:02 AM

Default hose location

Question on hose connection [not sure]The hose that connects at the top of the cylinders seems to me just go to the air filter area, the one that sits in the isolator next to carburetor ,this one where does it go to ??
Unread 06-23-2015, 03:40 PM

That one goes to the hole in the factory air filter (environmental) or just to free air. Same with the crankcase breather on the head. DO NOT tie them together, you can pressurize the crankcase and blow seals. I ran both of mine to the air filter, I just added a second hole in the oem style air filter. I think it looks more factory that way, the carb breathers going thru the carb side covers and the crank breather hose over the top tucked up in the frame.
Unread 06-27-2015, 12:29 AM

My understanding is that the hole in the factory air filter is intended for the breather hose which runs directly from the external power jet (near the top of the backside of the carb). The two breather hoses that sector160 is asking about (i.e., the one that connects at the top of the cylinders, and the one that connects to the isolator next to carburetor) both exit to free air. I routed these two hoses next to each other through the base of the right side carb cover cutout (see attached pic.) From there I routed them down in front of the swingarm and rear brake pedal, then let them hang just slightly below the frame.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CA95_Breather-Tubes.jpg (129.7 KB, 15 views)
Unread 06-27-2015, 02:53 AM

I agree with Roberd42 as far as the placement of the venting hose. It was my understanding that the gasses from the crankcase (both top cylinder and valve guide blow by) were routed to the air filter to be burned.

Having said that, the crankcase gasses can be vented to air without consequence. I tried to post pic of how I modified a aftermarket air filter to accept the valve guide gasses. For some reason I can't post pictures.
Unread 06-27-2015, 09:27 PM

A stock CA95 air cleaner has only one small auxiliary-hose hole punched into it. So, if either the crankcase breather or valve guide blowby breather hoses were originally routed into this hole, then that would imply the power jet would've not had access to that hole and thereby had to intake unfiltered air directly into the carb. I just couldn't convince myself that Honda would've approved that as part of their original design, so I researched it further when I was building my '64 (with the '63 motor).

Here is a picture of that 491 original mile Benly (documented original owner was a Shriner) that my friend recently sold and it has a hose coming in from the air filter area into the power jet. It also shows the clear valve guide blowby breather hose exiting into the area down below the carb, as well as the black crankcase breather hose being routed through the carb cover cutout. The second pic shows the crankcase breather hose exiting in a typical under-bike location.

I thought I had this question figured out, but if not, I'm all ears.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CA95_HoseRouting.jpg (188.8 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg CA95_Underside.jpg (196.3 KB, 16 views)
Unread 06-28-2015, 08:36 AM

Yes frappy that seems a bit more correct for the time period I guess, thinking about older cars from the period. Filtered air would only be associated with intake items and loose environmental concerns, vents would go to free air. Today any vents are routed back to the intake to be burned. I'm too forward thinking I guess, I need to put my mind back to 1960
Unread 06-29-2015, 04:20 PM

Default power jet

power jet connection? to air cleaner
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ca95_carb05.jpg (120.6 KB, 13 views)
Unread 06-30-2015, 02:31 PM

That would be correct sector, run everything else to free air.