FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 03-06-2013, 02:52 PM

The drive don't need to go back in, it's only in there to drive the tach cable.
You can get tach cables on ebay if you search CB92 but I can't vouch for the quality as I have never bought one.
You can use a speedometer as a rev counter, when you reach 63mph your motor is spinning over at 10,000rpm.

Sam.
Unread 03-06-2013, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larzfromarz View Post
Mostly I guess I'd be curious about why a Ca95 has a tach output unless it was a CB92 head.
Frankly I'd be interested in those parts or be willing to swap you a standard Ca95 head with no tach output if you are trying to eliminate the tach.
Larry, the early CA95 was fitted with the CB95 head which was the same as the CB92 head but with the bigger fins like all the 95 series heads.
If you want to run a tach on the later CA95, C95 or C92, you need the earlier cam with the worm on it and the tacho gearbox from the early CA95.
You then have to machine off the bearing housing and drill a hole in the head to allow oil drainage back into the head, otherwise pressure will build up in the gearbox and cause oil to be forced up the cable and into the tach.

Sam.
Unread 03-08-2013, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Green View Post
The drive don't need to go back in, it's only in there to drive the tach cable.
You can get tach cables on ebay if you search CB92 but I can't vouch for the quality as I have never bought one.
You can use a speedometer as a rev counter, when you reach 63mph your motor is spinning over at 10,000rpm.

Sam.
Can Benlys make 63 mph? (At Denver's altitude, and carrying my lard around, it's doubtful. )
Unread 03-08-2013, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketsled View Post
Can Benlys make 63 mph? (At Denver's altitude, and carrying my lard around, it's doubtful. )
Carrying my lard at 50 foot above sea level with a strong tail wind, a Benly will touch 119mph at 14,000rpm. don't try this at home but it is possible.

Sam.
Unread 03-08-2013, 07:21 PM

I'll need GPS verification for that.

(The older I get the faster I was)
Unread 03-09-2013, 07:14 AM

Where do I sign up... hope things are looking up for you Sam.
Unread 03-09-2013, 07:43 AM

I hope your doing better as well Sam.

Readers: Don't let master Sam fool you! His CA95 is stripped down to bare bones with nitrous oxide injection. I would not be suprised if the engine is stroked, bored, balanced with the heads shaved.

Unlike our beloved poofy 16hp, 285lb bikes with our lard at 200lbs+. We should be impressed with 63mph! I am
Unread 03-09-2013, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketsled View Post
I'll need GPS verification for that.

(The older I get the faster I was)
Thanks Chip, I think the point that RS missed was that the speedo was being used as a tacho, it will show 63mph in all the gears when the motor is spinning at 10,000rpm.
Unread 03-09-2013, 04:31 PM

Sam I think I've even seen an "overlay" for converting a regular speedo to a tach.
Should be good for all of us dummies- Rev to ten grand shift and repeat.
Unread 03-10-2013, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Green View Post
Thanks Chip, I think the point that RS missed was that the speedo was being used as a tacho, it will show 63mph in all the gears when the motor is spinning at 10,000rpm.
Well that would certainly mean it wasn't drag limited.
Unread 03-10-2013, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
I hope your doing better as well Sam.

Readers: Don't let master Sam fool you! His CA95 is stripped down to bare bones with nitrous oxide injection. I would not be suprised if the engine is stroked, bored, balanced with the heads shaved.

Unlike our beloved poofy 16hp, 285lb bikes with our lard at 200lbs+. We should be impressed with 63mph! I am
RS, just a few corrections to Chips (Spokes) post for your viewing.
NO nitrous oxide, not stroked, not balanced and no shaved head. ( didn't get much right there young Chip )
It was bored to 161cc with higher compression pistons, a race cam and race exhaust.
Most of the bikes power cam from injecting a 50/50 mix of Methanol and Nitro Methane.
The power was unknown at that time as I didn't have access to a dynomometer back then but it would have been around 20 to 25bhp.
You can see the bike in question in the first picture in this thread, (note no carb)
http://www.fourwheelforum.com/showthread.php?t=977
By far the bigest performance modification was in weight reduction.
If you take it that the motor was stock (16.5bhp) the bike had a power to weight ratio of .118. to get this from your bike (weighing 273lb) you would need to increase the motors power to 32bhp.
The only way to get that sort of power would be to stick a Nitrous Oxide system on it (you got that bit right Chip ) and guess what I've got lurking in my shop doing nothing
Thanks RS, you've just found my next project for me.

Sam.
Unread 03-23-2013, 05:05 PM

Default Evapo rust rules!

I just used evapo rust on the inside of two gas tanks. It worked as good as I could have wanted, which is to say perfectly. The inside of the first tank ('96 Triumph) was rusty on the bottom and it now looks new. The benly tank went in next but I only submerged 1/2 the tank at a time. One side came out new but the other side didn't evaporate all the rust. I'm guessing the chemical wore out, I'm buying more for sure. Totally worth it.

Question, I'm thinking I should have used this on my rims, spokes and nipples when I cleaned up my wheelset. Should I dip my mufflers and the remaining chrome parts like the rear brake lever in evapo rust? Chrome is the only material it doesn't mention that is safe to clean. It does say copper is ok to clean which I think is used between the chrome and the steel.
Unread 03-23-2013, 05:12 PM

Default good idea

Quote:
Sam I think I've even seen an "overlay" for converting a regular speedo to a tach.
Should be good for all of us dummies- Rev to ten grand shift and repeat.
Thanks for the idea for this could be a solution, run a tach cable and create a custom face to convert the speedo to a tach. I'd like to add a mph reference to the graphic. Perhaps list the 4 speeds for every 2k rpm.
Unread 03-23-2013, 05:25 PM

You can add the shift points or speeds like the some of the CB speedos. Might take some fiddlin but hey what we here for.
You can add a temporary electric tach to calibrate against or may be a GPS, or Sam can quote them to you...
Unread 03-23-2013, 05:54 PM

Quote:
You can add the shift points or speeds like the some of the CB speedos. Might take some fiddlin but hey what we here for.
You can add a temporary electric tach to calibrate against or may be a GPS, or Sam can quote them to you...
Speed for revs no problem, just shout out if you want them.

Sam.