FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 04-18-2013, 05:07 AM

Default noisy engine

my little honda is purrin pretty good now starts right up. it is a little noisy though. i have done all the adjustments,valves set as per manual,cam chain adjusted like the manual. i am curious if these 50 year old bikes will only be so quet. one thing i did not do is take the cam chain tensioner spring out and check or replace it.it was checked to make sure it worked when everything was apart and worked, but thinking maybe the tensioner spring may have lost tension.anyone else ever change a spring
Unread 04-18-2013, 05:40 AM

Once the little rod that makes up the tensioner is clamped the spring doesn't do anything.
It only there to take up the slack when the bolt is loose. Depending on the miles of the bike the bottom end may be a little loose. Unless you hear a definite knock or scraping it's probably normal.
Unread 04-18-2013, 08:00 AM

ok thanks larz .it has 10,000 miles on it and there was not much play in the crank and rods when i had it apart . i have not had it for a good run yet,lookin forward to it,but still 2 feet of snow on the ground.just got my 16 tooth front sprocket ,so curious to see the difference that makes...