FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 04-12-2013, 05:49 PM

Default Replace with zerks?

I've been reading the clutch thread with great interest. I've been thinking about replacing that grease fitting with a zerk. Is that a recomended mod?
Thank you for your time.
Steve
Unread 04-12-2013, 06:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake

I did that on my CA95 project last year. Every grease fitting on the bike was replaced with a modern metric grease fitting that fits modern grease guns nicely. I bought a batch of metric grease fittings from Harbor Freight, but they're available everywhere.

The original fittings are only lightly pressed in - no threads. I drilled and tapped the threads necessary for the new fittings.
Unread 04-12-2013, 06:24 PM

For the sake of discussion, I've never replaced the grease fittings. I use a small grease gun with a straight steel tube. I keep the grease gun coupling pressed against the grease fitting. Never had a problem. This is the type of grease gun I use:http://m.napaonline.com/Tablet/parts...231_0361147971

I have several loaded with speciality greases
Unread 04-12-2013, 09:54 PM

Thank You Spokes and BTL:
I found my CA95 a little over a year ago and I've done so much to it some of the early details are a little blurry in my mind. I was kind of scratching my head because I knew I had greased all the fittings on the suspension when I changed the innertubes, but I don't have the straight tube gun Spokes mentioned. After reading your posts I went down to the shop and checked those fittings and sure enough, they are Zerks. I wonder why someone would install zerks everywhere except the clutch mechanism? So, for the sake of uniformity I went ahead and installed a zerk.
As always, thank you.
Steve
Unread 04-13-2013, 07:20 AM

Probably wasn't obvious to the PO in that position on the side cover. After all don't you do all of your clutch adjustments right there at the clutch lever? .