FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 03-13-2013, 08:20 AM

Default Speedometer needed

My speedometer died, froze up and snapped a brand new cable. Can a speedo be repaired? Or does anyone have one they can sell? ANyone also have a speedo cable replacement wire?
Unread 03-13-2013, 11:15 AM

Unfortunately anything used may have exactly the same trouble (or be close to it).
I think ByTheLake (search his posts)will chime in as I believe he has gone through them before. I'd recommend refurbishing yours if you can and if you have the patience. Not so much for the originality (you can set the wheels to whatever you want) but the experience of doing it, then knowing it is done and you having a better understanding of how it works and why it broke in the first place. If that doesn't work you can always pick one up ( I have several in unknown condition) from ebay used or new (watch for Kph in stead of Mph).
Replacement speedo cables should be had for $25.00 or less from Ebay if you shop carefully. Its worth replacing all together in my opinion. Stay tuned...
Unread 03-13-2013, 11:26 AM

http://www.fourwheelforum.com/showth...ht=speedometer
This was found in BTL thread regarding his Ca95 project
Some good photos and you can see how nice it turns out.
So simple a Maltese could do it, right Kev-
Unread 03-13-2013, 12:43 PM

Yeah I might try the refurb, I already had opened it up to replace a broken glass. Nothing to loose at least. There's a speedo on Ebay right now for $129 which is from the US (from Colorado) which is NOS. I had just bought a new cable so the outside is perfect so was hoping to get just the inside wire.

Every time I think I can close the wallet someone is prying it open again...
Unread 03-13-2013, 03:50 PM

Yep I'm 51, and its usually the Doctor. I'll look to see if I have any cores- How long is your cable?
Unread 03-13-2013, 05:07 PM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake

Larz is right, the speedometers can be cleaned up. The biggest challenge is to slowly bend up the bezel crimp without creasing it. If you've replaced the broken glass before, then you know the drill. Once the bezel and glass are off, there are a few screws on the back to remove.

I sprayed a solvent on the metal gears to remove the hardened grease, then lubricated everything with a silicone grease.

Hopefully that will work for you.