FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 03-14-2013, 04:29 PM

Default Newbie Throttle question

G'day All,

Long time reader, first time posting....

I have a 61 C92 that I've all but got back together....she was basically just a rolling frame and engine when I took over.

All seems to be going well except for the throttle. New high bars (too expensive to get the pressed steel low bars happening ) and hinge joint from Thailand, along with NOS throttle pipe.

But there doesn't appear to be enough room on the handle bars for the throttle pipe before the brake perch
Should the throttle pipe hang out the end of the grip?
Looks like the end of the pipe should be sitting inside the switch??
And do I actually need both parts of the sliding hinge joint?

Does anyone have a photo or two of how these thing go together?

Thanks heaps,
Kev.
Unread 03-14-2013, 11:34 PM

He he....anyone?
Unread 03-15-2013, 03:05 AM

Post a pic of your parts. It sounds like you have a mix of internal and external throttle parts.
Unread 03-15-2013, 12:24 PM

Hi again,

Hopefully these couple of photos will show what I've got.....

Doubly hopeful that I have not got mixed parts....

Thanks again,
Kev
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0084.jpg (114.6 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0085.jpg (139.5 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0087.jpg (114.7 KB, 19 views)
Unread 03-15-2013, 01:50 PM

Indeed you have mixed parts. The control housing in the pic is for an external throttle assembly. The throttle pipe and slide shown is for an internal throttle assembly.

The handlebar has the throttle slot for a internal throttle assembly.

So, buy the correct control housing for an internal throttle or Buy a throttle pipe for a external throttle assembly. No need to change handlebars, slot or not the bars will work for both throttle types. Remember that the throttle cable is specific to each throttle style.
Unread 03-16-2013, 04:25 PM

Thanks Spokes....but I'm confused with the switch schematics that I can find.
Did the CA versions ever have blinkers? I was thinking that the the LH switch had the blinker switch along with the horn, and the RH switch had the starter and dimmer switch....is this right?

Which is opposite to the C92, which had the blinker on the RH switch and the Dimmer on the LH.....though how you can operate the blinkers while using the throttle is interesting to contemplate!
The only switches I could get were from a CA95 (a '64 model)....but obviously had an external (twist) throttle instead of the internal (sliding) throttle.

Can someone let me know the correct part number for the RH switch to use with an internal throttle?

Thanks heaps,
Kev.
Unread 03-16-2013, 05:33 PM

No. In the USA, the CA95 did not have blinkers. I understand in other parts of the world the C95 did. The C95 had the light hi low switch and horn on the Left side and the starter button on the right. The C95 had the blinker switch and the starter switch on the right.

The right hand control assembly for the internal throttle type is part#35300-212-000(no blinker switch) With the blinker switch #35800-215-000

Both types can only be found used. The blinker type may be found used in any country except the USA. I hear that there is a English company making repops of the blinker/horn assembly for the slide type throttle.

One would think it easier to find an internal throttle pipe for the housing you already have.
Unread 03-18-2013, 03:56 PM

Thanks again Spokes....who would have thought that there would be so many versions
Unread 03-19-2013, 01:31 AM

Kev, there arn't that many versions when it comes to the throttle control.
You have the external cable drum from a different bike altogether.
I'm guessing the twist grip is the same on the C92, C95 and CA95 but the CA95 dosen't have the indicator switch.
If the cable drum shown in your first picture only has a starter button, then the part is probably from a CB92 or CB72/77.

Sam.
Unread 03-19-2013, 09:59 PM

Hey Sam,

Yes, the cable drum only has the starter button.
So... the difference between the one I've got and a CA95 cable drum is that the end of the throttle pipe actually sits inside the cable drum? (apologies-hard to put into words )

From what I'm gathering I need to locate the starter/BLINKER switch off a low bar C92/C95 (35250-212-000)?

Thanks again,
Kev