FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > Honda Dream CA160

Honda Dream CA160 The old black horse

Unread 05-27-2012, 06:34 PM

Thanks Larz. I'm really not so smart. I have built several of these bikes and just know what fits what...

Time Stamp 5-27-2012
I have finally got the engine to pristine clean. I regret not having a dedicated camera for just these kinds of builds. I am now convinced this bike sat in a shed since 1982. The engine was caked with dirty oil, grease and mud wasp nests. The red mud was like concrete. I cleaned the engine with brushes, scrapers and solvents to a point of the engine just stained. The guys at the plant offered to steam clean it. That was the ticket. Using industrial cleaner with plant boiler pressure steam brought out the aluminum. At this point I am at the crossroads of painting the engine or not.

As of now, the new chrome rims are in. I am waiting on the chrome spokes, drive chain and a few misc. parts. I have polished the rear hub and need to complete the front hub. After polishing and clear coating I will install new sealed bearings. The bike actually came with an early CA95 tank. I have cleaned and removed the light rust. I may swap tanks with the "Build from Scratch" as, believe it or not, it has a nice CA160 tank. I have also started the sheet metal work like reforming the front fender flair. I estimate that sometime in July I will have the bike together enough for Sheriff Inspection, then I will tear down the bike for paint. I am pretty sure the color will be white...but I have been known to change my mind at the last minute..
Unread 05-31-2012, 11:20 AM

Thumbs up

Might I suggest maybe video taping or at least bunches of pics when you lace your wheels. I like following your work and I think others do as well. Whats a little video? wink wink...

On another note, I hear rumors of a central Florida show sponsored by VJMC, sometime later in the year, should I post details as they come up? and you should find a way to come down if it happens.
Unread 06-11-2012, 07:20 PM

I would like to make it to a VHMC event someday.

The handlebars and controls that came with the bike were wasted. I wanted to do something different for this build, that is, I want a vintage Honda external throttle assembly and matching controls.

Below is a pic of Honda CA95 bars that were bent. I cut the throttle end off and welded a left hand end from another set of wasted CA95 bars. This gives me the wire holes in the right place. I found a set of controls from a CA92, complete but needed to be restored.

Here is a pic of the bars tonight 6-11-2012. I will begin to restore the CA92 controls soon.
Unread 06-15-2012, 08:17 PM

One of the most damaged items on this bike was the wheels. I was only able to salvaged the hubs.

Below is a pic of the cleaned,polished and clear coated hubs, with new sealed wheel bearings, laced to new stock wheels with chrome spokes. Soon the new blackwall Firestones will be installed.
Unread 06-16-2012, 08:38 AM

Nice.
Unread 06-18-2012, 09:02 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Oh man those wheels are so nice now. Very good.
Unread 06-30-2012, 05:35 PM

Time Stamp 6-30-2012

All the body parts are back from the sandblaster. I would post a pic, but bare steel parts is all you would see. The engine has been painted two tone. The case is a bluish silver and the cylinders have been painted with high temp silver header paint. I have removed the points housing and tappet covers. They will be polished and clear coated with heat resistant clear. I should have the engine assembled this month along with the newly painted frame and metal. Hopefully by the end of July the bike will be on its own wheels.
Unread 07-07-2012, 09:10 AM

Time stamp 7-7-2012

Painting has begun. Below is a pic of the first parts being painted. The parts have been sandblasted and phosphated.

The engine has been cleaned and painted as well......

I decided that I was going to paint the engine two tone. The case is a heat resistant, clear coated silver blue with header silver cylinders. The engine will be completed in a week or so.

The bike will be painted Corvette Artic White.

I might add that the tail light bracket has been customized. Masked off is chrome "L" backets (welded in place)that will hold her bullet light rear turn signals.

Last edited by Spokes; 07-07-2012 at 09:12 AM. Reason: more info
Unread 07-08-2012, 04:08 AM

Default Rear Turn Signals

The first assembly of this build is a reality. The rear turn signals.
Unread 08-09-2012, 07:35 PM

Time Stamp 8-9-2012

The red, rusty, beat up 66 CA160 is now being reassembled in white. The sheetmetal parts have been sandblasted, repaired and painted. The bike reassembly is done in one of my extra bedrooms for now. I wanted to add turn signals at the tail light. Wiring next. To make the wiring easier, the engine wiring and harness connections will be a multi wire plug.
Unread 08-10-2012, 03:36 AM

Lookin good White Knight One, you are cleared to enter the pattern.
Unread 08-10-2012, 07:57 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Great colors. I like how the engine came out.
Unread 08-12-2012, 02:24 PM

Time Stamp 8-12-2012

Spent some time this weekend putting the bike together. This is how she looks today.

This week I will add many small parts and mount the engine. Maybe next Saturday or Sunday fire it up and take a ride around the lake. I will post a video on youtube and let the forum know when it's posted.
Unread 08-16-2012, 04:59 PM

8-16-2012

Motor installed this evening.
Unread 08-30-2012, 07:38 PM

The straightened and custom welded handlebars with the original chrome, Rebuilt controls, mounted and wired front turnsignals have been installed. The handlebar mounting bolts have been deburred and polished. The tops of the bolts have been blued. I will add small dots on the blueing to resemble dice.