FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 12-13-2012, 12:23 PM

Default Removing plate under speedo drive - how?

More questions. Before I go do something I'll regret is there a secret to removing the plate under the speedo drive on the C95? The 3 screws came out cleanly but the plate won't budge. I want to change the wheel bearing under there. It looks like someone changed to bearing on the other side because it's a sealed one there now but this one's harder to get at. Thanks in advance. Cliff.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF7525 - Copy.JPG (151.6 KB, 15 views)
Unread 12-13-2012, 01:59 PM

Buy a 3/8" concrete anchor. Install the concrete anchor base into the inner race of the wheel bearing under the plate (screws out of the plate)

Tighten down on the anchor nut to expand the anchor portion tight in the inner race. Get it as tight as possible.

From the otherside, using a round solid rod, place the rod end against the anchor base (now tight in the race) and drive out the bearing and speedo plate. You may have to insert the concrete anchor twice if not tight enough. I use this technique to remove wheel bearings from my CA 95 & 160 hubs. It will work on any blind bearing removal.
Unread 12-13-2012, 03:05 PM

Thank you Spokes. I did do a search about removing wheel bearings and used that very method today to remove the bearings. I was considering doing what you said but the speedo plate but was afraid of damaging it.I bought a 4" anchor, a 6" would be better. I have a feeling though this isn't the one you're describing. You're using one wihout a rod, it's just split and you can thread a bolt into it, spreading it to gain a grip on the inside of the bearing? The longer one works okay, it's just hard to tighten sufficiently. Ah, no guts no glory! Thanks, Cliff.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF7526.JPG (164.3 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by Magpie; 12-13-2012 at 03:08 PM.