FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 11-01-2011, 09:19 AM

Black is cool but with a red tank.

Sam.
Unread 11-01-2011, 09:40 AM

no, all black in the end instead of the ugly copper color it is.
Unread 11-02-2011, 04:08 PM

this guy popped up on craigslist, and I know I have been bitten by this bug now.
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/mcy/2641945161.html
my wife woud kill me though...
Unread 11-02-2011, 04:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nige1100s View Post
How odd, in the UK the red light is a neutral indicator. A high beam warning light would be the only way of telling you were on high beam, you would never know form the amount of light!
Yeah, my bike is wired as follows:

Unread 11-02-2011, 07:23 PM

Just 200 bucks? I'd say go for it sell her on the it's an investment idea. I've been hearing so many married men talking about, how they can't just buy something they have to go through the wife first. I am a firm believer it's best to have finances room mate style, and then meet in the middle for food, entertainment etc. Nips any money arguments in the butt, and eases needless stress. From the research and stories and people I've known...the couples that always fight combine finances, and the happiest go room mate style and split expenses.
Unread 11-02-2011, 10:02 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Good thing that bike isn't close to me. Too bad it's just a single carb.

Last edited by Smithers; 11-02-2011 at 10:06 PM.
Unread 11-03-2011, 07:10 AM

I dont really have the time to fix it too. I may sell some of my music gear to get it, but I honestly have too much going on right now anyways. I could always store it at ddad's house though... hmm...
Unread 11-20-2011, 07:18 AM
Admin

That bike is rather anemic in the power department. If it were a higher performance engine I would totally grab it. I'm looking for something like that to putt around town on. The CA160 I have is one I want to retire because it's 100% original. A CL175 or something is an errand machine. I wouldn't mind firing that bike up and giving it a try though.
Unread 12-07-2011, 05:21 PM

ok guys, i am once again stumped...
I rigged up a gas can with a line to the carb( since I am still waiting on this petcock piece to be fabricated.)
I tried to start the bike and it would not start up.
I did get it to run for a second or two on its own multiple times, but that was 1 or 2 out of 50+ kicks.
It is getting spark, the plugs are clean, the carb is sucking the gas in and is definitely clean. I tried spraying starting fluid into the carb and cylinders and I still cant get it to start up.

maybe timing? I have never adjusted timing before so I might have to learn.
I tried to set the carb to a 'regular' setting so I dont thin that is it.

any suggestions?
Unread 12-07-2011, 05:36 PM

I always go for the simple stuff 1st.

Make sure you are setting the choke full when the engines cold.

Are the plugs new? Old plugs can be a problem. Do you have the correct plugs?

If the bike started, even after 50 kicks means it may be a fuel issue. (IMO)

Pull the plugs. They should be wet. If dry then the motor is starving for fuel. Again, I assume that your using the choke. If the plugs are dry(after using the choke) then lightly tighten the carb bolts at the manifold. If no go then pull the bowl to check if there is gas. If low volume in the carb then reset the float level. An incorrect float level or a sticking float will stop you every time.

If the plugs are wet then you may have old plugs or maybe bad new ones.

I would not fool with the timing of valve adjustment at this point. Being that it started even for a moment, you can assume that valve lash & timing may be ok.
Unread 12-07-2011, 05:59 PM

I was using the choke and the plugs were wet.
Both of the plugs were brand new too....
Unread 12-07-2011, 06:01 PM

I was using the choke and the plugs were wet.
Both of the plugs were brand new too....
Unread 12-07-2011, 07:15 PM

OK.

There is a chance the motor is flooded...maybe. Let the plugs dry out and reinstall. Being that the plugs are wet, kick the bike over with the throttle half open with the choke on and then with the choke off.

Here is a few more idea's

Remove the points cover on the engine. Check the green wire that connects to the points. Make sure that it has not rubbed against the engine case and is grounding out.

Check the tube fuse on the wiring at the battery.

Make sure that the battery is fully charged.

Alas if all is good, check the compression. If compression is low than combustion is reduced.

End of my tricks
Unread 12-07-2011, 08:01 PM

When exactly does your bike fire? If my bike fires once, it won't start again til the cows come home unless I take the choke off. It's usually a one kick start it'll sputter then shut off if I can't flip the choke off fast enough during a cold start. Maybe your bike isn't fond of the choke either...after it sputters once try to cut the choke off then try again?

Another possibility is the float gap isn't set right or the float is rubbing on something. The float needle valve is very particular and was why I was having problems keeping mine running at first. I trimmed the way too large after market gasket, set the float, made sure it didn't catch or rub on anything with a slight bend on a float that was catching. After doing that my starting and running issues vanished. Aside from spokes suggestions there's my 2 cents.
Unread 12-07-2011, 09:18 PM
Admin

What I do with any old Honda before I mess with anything besides replacing the fuel... I just push it down the driveway and see if it will pop or fire by bump starting it. If it doesn't then there is REALLY something wrong. A weak battery or just a bike that hasn't started in a while will get going with a good push down the road but it SHOULD just fire up by kick starting it.

If you are putting it together and trying to get it fired for the first time then you don't really want to bump start it thought. It's not starting because something is wrong. As long as you are getting spark that's great and your almost there. If you have fresh fuel getting to the spark plug and your timing is correct you should DEFINITELY get some popping or some sign of life. You really should check your compression just so you know that's not the problem. It's good to know what compression you are getting in any engine that you care about.