FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 09-25-2007, 10:31 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Now that I have cleaned everything up I went and used a right angle grinder with a 2" aluminum pad to make the mating surfaces super clean. I then put a thin film of Gaskecinch gasket sealer/maker on the surface to make a good seal. When I took the pieces apart there was no gasket of course, but I did notice some type of sealant was used from the Honda factory. Gaskecinch is a very very good product that I have used for years with perfect results. It isn't as thick as a Permatex type sealer so it matches the Honda product quite well.

And here is the bottom piece. I should have cleaned it up a little more as the corrosion/dirt came back to haunt me while prepping it for paint the next day.

Don't forget to put in the cam chain tensioner adjuster. I almost didn't put this in and caught it at the last minute. I don't think you can get it out when the top and bottom are together. I didn't try. Thinking about it more you probably can. But in case yours didn't pop out when you took the cases apart make sure that this part moves up and down freely when the rod directly above it is removed. Make sure that you remove this part and clean the area below it and that it is oiled. This needs to be working nice and smooth so that they cam chain isn't slapping around when the Honda Benly engine is up and running again.

Unread 09-25-2007, 10:42 PM
Admin

And the other side with the Benly clutch basket in place. You will want to:
  • Re-attach the kickstarter return spring
  • Position clutch basket, don't forget the circle clip to hold it!
  • Put the oil pump back on with gasket and two 10mm nuts

You probably broke the oil pump gasket when taking it off but it's a very small one so it's easy to cut out a new one. Don't forget to put the retaining clip back on the shaft to hold the clutch basket on there.

There is a threaded hole in the case to the rear of where the clutch basket is. This is just a hole that is there for some reason and it's not used by anything so don't think you forgot to put something in there.

Unread 09-25-2007, 10:53 PM
Admin

As I show above I put a little Permatex on the seam of where the two halves meet and Gaskecinch along the rest of the prepped gasket surfaces. Don't forget the rest of the clutch and the centrifugal oil filter on the front shaft. Now the cover is ready to go on but first make sure and give the kickstart shaft a good cleaning since it's a lot easier at this point. Replace the seal on the cover also while you have easy access to it. Now place the ol gasket on and the covers press together like so...

And now for the final shot all nice and tidy with the new gasket showing proudly.

This is the picture of the Honda Benly 150 right engine without the seals put in and I'm deciding which cam chain tensioner to use between the two I have.

The choice is obvious:

Unread 09-25-2007, 11:13 PM
Admin

Here you can see me picking out the seal for the shifter. It is a tricky one but the older they are the easier and your's should be pretty old. If you tap one side with a hammer and punch the other side might pop up and then you can get at it like I did here. Don't forget to put the washer and the circular clip back on right after you replace the shifter shaft seal.

I also put a little grease where the cam chain arm hits the adjuster. Shown around the seals is a little Permatex black where I thought it was appropriate.

Put the cam chain around the sprocket through the cover holes and use a zip tie to hold the chain so that it doesn't fall down those holes in the future. Adjust the cam chain tensioner so that it's pulled back to where the chain would be near the loosest point. In other words, so that the arm is back away from the chain almost as much as possible. This will allow some slack when you are stretching the chain around the upper camshaft sprocket.

I then cleaned up the surrounding surface and put the next cover on with some more Permatex at the seam and then Gaskecinch around the rest of the way. I put the starter on to check something but took it back off to clean it and paint it.

At this point I was ready for paint and I chose to tape off this side. Then I would paint the next cover separately. I'll be waiting for paint to dry for a day or two. I'll continue assembling the rest after that.