FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 02-09-2013, 10:57 AM

Absolutely only bake the metal stuff-and pre assembly- it did look like he had this down to just the block.
If you get much hotter you may as well drive out the valve guides any anything else press fitted. Melty seals are no good....
Unread 02-09-2013, 11:41 AM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larzfromarz View Post
Absolutely only bake the metal stuff-and pre assembly- it did look like he had this down to just the block.
If you get much hotter you may as well drive out the valve guides any anything else press fitted. Melty seals are no good....
I was actually wondering about valve guides. I used roughly 500 degrees (kitchen oven) to remove/swap my guides during a previous restoration.
Unread 02-09-2013, 02:09 PM

They'll be fine if not disturbed. Nice to know you could do the job if you had to.
We only used about 350 deg f to warm up the aluminum (or magnesium) aircraft wheels for bearing race changes. Too hot and I begin to worry about the heat treatment of the alloy.
Unread 02-09-2013, 04:43 PM

Naw, I'm not that dense, the motor is 99% disassembled. Baked were the Top Case, Bottom Case, Cylinder, Head, and top cap...the Top Cap still had the engine mounts in...which is what baked.

The paint IS harder, but I can see why flat paint isn't a popular option with manufacturers, it doesn't take ANY effort to make it shine.

Spent the morning with the die-grinder polishing the sidecaps and am coming to the conclusion they're just not meant for a polish job. Too many deep scratches and 'patina' to take a good shine. That and the Air Compressor gave it up after 12 years service. Grrrr. I'll degrease/dewax the sidecaps and probably paint them silver.
Unread 02-10-2013, 07:26 AM

Naw Rocket I didn't you do such a thing-
Progressive sand the caps to remove the scratches and then polish should be fine.