FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 12-08-2012, 07:41 PM

Unhappy Transmission

I'm ready for the bad news but still hoping that there might be an easier solution.

Split the transmission case when rebuilding the engine just to see how it looked. Mow that it is ready to hang I decided to turn the transmission. It turned fine with the kick start but when I shifted it the shaft with the sprocket on comes to a dead stop and will only make about 1/8 of a complete revolution. If I shift the other direction it also stops. I think it is shift into 2 or 3 gears, doesn't shift easily when going into the gear where it stops. Also when it does feel like it shifted ok the output shaft turns the same amount.
Thought I put it back together the way it came apart (didn't move anything) so is it easy to mess it up when putting the halves back together? If it is I'm the person to do it.
Unread 12-09-2012, 02:28 PM

When you put in the gear cluster, perhaps you didn't connect with one of the selectors.
Whatever you have done, it has to come back apart.
The only saving grace is that you don't need to touch the top end.
After you remove the lower crank case, check that both gear clusters are hooked up with their respective selectors.
If they are you should be able to select the gears by turning the end of the selector drum while turning either of the gear shafts.

Sam.
Unread 12-09-2012, 04:52 PM

Thanks Sam, was hoping I would just need to do something with the gear shift drum from the outside.
Unread 12-22-2012, 12:59 PM

Just to chime in here - the kickstarter mechanism inside the case can lock the transmission up if it's rotated too far in one direction. I noticed this when assembling my engine and might be the cause of your situation.
Unread 12-23-2012, 10:23 PM

I took it apart but don't know if one of the forks was in the wrong position or not....the shaft that the forks connect with stayed with the bottom of the case when I lifted it off. Have it back together again but and can get it into all of the gears but won't feel good about it until I get it started. Read a post about having to rock the bike back and forth to get the gears to move sometimes to get it shifted. I remember having to do that......its been many years since I rode it.
Unread 12-25-2012, 09:41 AM

Look closely at this pic of the tranny. You should see where the shift forks are.

You will not be able to shift into all of the gears very easily without the engine running. You can rock the bike to get it into and out of gear, but it's best to wait until the bike is running to make the final judgement about the tranny.
Unread 12-25-2012, 12:16 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Hmm have you seen my pictures of my transmission when it was apart? They are on here somewhere... I can dig them up if you haven't. Great picture Spokes.
Unread 12-27-2012, 04:53 AM

Nice engine stand Chip.....
Unread 12-27-2012, 05:59 PM

We have cases of them at work- Rubbermaid small trash cans! Mine was an old appliance cart that just fit the height of the upturned engine. We work with what's at hand. In my messy garage, at least!
Unread 01-02-2013, 05:06 PM

Is it at all possible the engine is timed wrong and valves are hitting the pistons, just thinking... 1/8 turn either direction?