FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 04-13-2009, 07:38 PM

Default Fair price...

Hey there. I am brand new to this forum. I am highly interested in the 1960s small cc Hondas.
I have an eye out for a restored CA95. If I find one totally redone, what would be fair price, so as not to insult the seller for all his work??
thanks a lot.
Dave
Unread 04-13-2009, 09:13 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Welcome Grinchy71. Not many people speak up around here but tons of people like looking at the pictures.

It just depends on the level of restoration. Some people make them just look nice but they might lack the original rims and some other parts. This is kind of a weird way to restore something but it happens most of the time. I think an original low miles Honda that still runs good and has everything in original shape is worth much more. If you just hold onto your cash and keep an eye on Craigslist or Ebay you can find one really cheap. I saw an original one with a new seat cover and tires that was asking $1,200 over in the Midwest. It was really really nice and I couldn't tell if it was flawless from the pictures but it was close.

If you find one that runs and it's in decent shape with mostly original parts I would say anywhere around $500. If the bike needs a whole fuel system overhaul and a battery I would say it was worth $250. Just make sure that EVERYTHING is with the bike that you would need to get it going. If it's missing anything like a carb then it's a parts bike to anyone but a hard core Honda man.

This is an interesting topic because some people spend way too much restoring old bikes that aren't worth $3,000 all fixed up. I would have a hard time saying an original mint CA95 would be worth $4,000. I have a feeling that there are a lot of Honda purists in Japan that would easily pay that for a perfect all original bike. This really happens. For example: One of my dads friends bought my PERFECT Honda S90 off of me in high school saying he wanted to have to ride around his neighborhood and take it to motorcycle shows. Well he already knew someone who wanted to pay big $$$ for the motorcycle so he tricked me into selling it to him and then he exported it to Japan!! I am really mad to this day about that. At least I got to ride the Honda S90 a lot when I was in my high school days in the early 90's. I even rode it to school a few times.

If you want an older little Honda to ride I would strongly suggest a Honda CA160 like my black one. It's a couple years newer and they made some huge improvements to the engines camshaft/camchain system as well as a stronger crankshaft with less vibration.

Good examples of both bikes are hard to come by in good shape. They are only worth about as much as someone would pay for them. And in this day and age not many people want them at all. They take a special person to own one since they require a little bit of motorcycle "know how" to operate them and maintain them. They aren't so safe to drive in modern traffic since they have a hard time keeping up. I find they are most useful on back roads, running short errands, going for coffee, riding around at car shows and visiting neighbors! Great bikes and they draw a HUGE crowd at car and motorcycle shows.

This might be a slightly complicated response but I hope it helps out. I've been meaning to post my thoughts on the value of one of these old Hondas.
Unread 04-13-2009, 09:45 PM
Admin

Just to give you an idea of the costs involved in restoring. If you see a restored CA95 with a perfect paint job I would say that cost the guy between $500 - $1000. A great paintjob with multiple layers of paint to simulate an original thick black toxic original paint job would be $1,000 easily. If he just put a single layer of black over it that would be a cheap paint job and you can tell it's not original.

Buying reproduction parts is cheap and the chrome will look weird and the wheels won't look high quality like original Honda. The repro tank badges are junk all the cables made aftermarket are black not grey. The aftermarket grips just aren't right and the mirrors are really cheesy. All of this stuff on a restored Honda just makes them look like a Chinese motorcycle. If he didn't take the time to get the correct parts around the motorcycle you can assume the engine is in the same condition... just kinda clean but probably doesn't run well at all. A motorcycle like this is worth about $500 - $800 maybe.

I would much rather have an original bike that doesn't run but can be made to run. That way you have all the original parts and most of your work will be to get the engine and fuel system in shape.

But then we have the real motorcycle mechanics that make FUN motorcycles to ride and they look really cool. More and more people are fixing up older bikes with more modern parts. I have seen people custom make a really nice seat, put on Excel rims with modern components, drill out parts to make them look like race parts, rebuild the engine and safety wire things, build a new exhaust with modern techniques... these bikes are neat! These bikes go for between $4,000 and $6,000. They are something for people to look at for sure. They go kinda quick and they are safe to ride with modern tires mounted on the new style rims made with stonger components. People like to buy these to put in their houses, motorcycle shops, coffee shops or in their offices. They go for much more than a typical old Honda but they have a LOT more love and labor put into them.

Oh and modern Excel type rims with the modern stronger spokes are $450 at least for all the parts and you might as well bump it up to $600 because the companies that sell the parts will assemble, true and balance them for just that. The wheels are one of the more expensive parts now behind the cost of a paint job.
Unread 04-21-2009, 01:59 PM

Default restoration question of newbie to honda

Im getting into the 1964 Honda ca95 for the first time. I have one with everything except the mufflers. The engine is frozen up but I am going to at least get it to fire up again someday. My question is.. is there a safe reliable place to get parts out there? or is it a internet crap shoot ! I'd like to find a service manual if you know where to look.
Unread 04-21-2009, 04:53 PM
Admin

Hey nice to see you around. Welcome welcome.

All the parts you need can be found on Ebay. You just need to take the engine apart to see the condition of your crank and the cylinders. Most any decent machine shop can bore out your cylinders when you provide them with the pistons and show them to them. The pistons are sold from Honda in four sizes.. meaning you can bore out the cylinder 3 times over at the most. If the cylinder has been bored for larger pistons you will see a corresponding number on the piston telling you how big it is.

I think I wrote some notes on the forum here about taking the engine apart. I show pictures on how to do it if the pistons are frozen in the cylinders.

Some advice to follow RIGHT NOW. If you think they are siezed or frozen from rust or something take off the spark plugs right now and put some oil, some WD-40, some Marvel Mystery Oil... ANYTHING. Just put an ounce or two of lubricant in there so that it can start working at the pistons. It will help try and free them up or at the least it will help prevent corrosion from forming. Then when you go to the bike at a later date it will be in better shape when you take it apart. Make sure and put the plugs back into it for storage! You don't want anything (including air) to be going into those cylinders as the bike sits in storage.

Ebay has it all. ALl the old Honda parts are in Thailand or in someones garage and they both list for sale on Ebay. Don't buy any pistons and rings EXCEPT the ones made BY Honda in the Honda packaging. I have an extra set of pistons and rings I would sell. I ended up buying bigger ones for my rebuild.

Honda shops can still order piston ring clips for you though!! Woohoo!! $4 a set. Keep us updated. I'll be happy to help. I have a spare engine so if you need any parts I'll try and help.
Unread 04-22-2009, 01:34 PM

thanks i will alot..