FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Truck Talk > Tire & Suspension Talk

Tire & Suspension Talk The most important handling aspect of every vehicle...

Unread 01-30-2006, 11:13 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

A lot of owners try and run larger tires on their Tacomas without realizing that they will rub no matter how much higher you lift the truck. The fact is that if you allow your suspension to travel all the way up to the top 1.5 inches of the stroke then the larger tires will rub against the fender liners as well as the fender corner just in front of the driver side door.

I solved this by ripping my fender liner out (in the desert outside of Weed, CA one night )and then beating the crap out of the fender corner itself with big hammers. When I install fiberglass I will cut out the whole thing and do it right. Sometime this summer... B)
Unread 01-14-2007, 10:40 PM
Admin

Here are two great shots of All Pro Offroads Tacoma with a solid axle front end. The lift height is pretty crazy on this rig! They did quite and awesome job building the whole truck and I hope to see it in the dirt sometime when I'm out and about.

Unread 01-14-2007, 10:43 PM
Admin

I can't say if I'll use tires as big as the All Pro rig. I think they are 35 inch BFG Muds. They REALLY lift the truck up off the ground. The body isn't even lifted from the chassis! Very nice. Now if I could just see it with some black Teflon American Racing Chamber wheels...

Here is the link to the All-Pro Toyota Tacoma for anyone who hasn't seen the specs on this ride.
Unread 01-14-2007, 10:54 PM
Admin

Just because of the nice solid axle front end on this Tacoma... it deserves to be posted under All-Pro's truck I think.

A couple more pictures can be found Here and a video of him going over some rocks Click Here.
Unread 01-15-2007, 09:56 PM
Admin

I was thinking these werew 35inch tires but they are 37's! Damn!

Unread 03-22-2009, 08:31 AM
Admin

Another topic about Tacoma lifts besides just tires is the body lift. On a lot of Chevy and Ford trucks it's like overkill. I see a lot of people removing body lifts from their full size trucks. They either get tired of them or they just bought them and they want it back to reasonaly height to get in and out of it. It gets old jumping into a lifted truck. A suspension lift is a great height but a bodylift is just too much.

BUT on a Toyota it's a must! For any tire clearance you have to have it. They are so low from the factory they are easily over towered by full sized trucks in traffic. Instead of shelling out $550 or whatever a body lift costs I just made my own. Here is an awesome write up from a guy who made his own Tacoma lift as well. He covers body lifts on older Toyotas too. A crucial part of the body lift is the steering shaft extension. If you have a mill it's not problem. I'm sure someone should be selling them on their own by now.

Toyota Tacoma body lift fabrication, do it yourself:
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...ft_HowTo.shtml