FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 08-29-2011, 12:03 PM

Default Tail light stopped working!

Following some of the posts in here, I decided to pursue replacing my standard tail lamp with an LED. Got the lamps in (one red and one white just to see) and opened the lens to take a look around. In the course of freeing the old lamp the thing stopped working. Thought it might have been the lamp itself but both of them work when tested. I disassembled the whole lamp fixture and have found no issues with the wiring there. In my desperation (and since I'm an utter newb) I cut the wires to test the lamp socket, which works. Spliced the wires back with weatherproof butt connectors and reassembled the tail light with the original, intact lamp.

So, where do I go from here? I have no idea where to continue, aside from testing the wires nearer to the battery, where they exit the frame and re-enter the channels in the rear fender. Is the next level tearing down the front of the bike to get to the harness? Am I missing an inline fuse somewhere? The headlight works, bike runs, battery's fresh. This lamp did work until I touched in on Saturday. I'm totally stumped.
Unread 08-29-2011, 07:38 PM

No need to tear down the front of the bike to get to the harness. I'm sure it may be a simple fix.

The tail light wires (Blue & White) can be found in the frame cradle where the air filter is mounted.

Remove the left side cover, then the tool tray/air filter support. Remove the air filter.

The blue & White wire will be running up the inside of the cradle. You can pull the wire plugs from the harness (mid bike) and check the wiring all the way back to the tail light.

Before you get too involved, being that you just disturbed the light at the frame, check for cracked wire insulation near at the rear fender/light mount. Also check the ground wire from the socket to the light frame.

Last edited by Spokes; 08-29-2011 at 07:39 PM. Reason: more info
Unread 08-31-2011, 11:42 AM

Sorry to chime in so late, I hope you got it figured out. It crossed my mind that maybe in the process of dismantling the old tail light, that the wires up at the brake light switch near the battery may have gotten pulled loose.

It is pretty easy to pull those two wires (black and blue wires on mine) loose by accident, seeing how they are held in place by the compression of a pretty weak spring. I'd first pull the battery cover and and look to the right of the battery, at the cylindrical switch, it has its own little holder on the outside of the frame.

The bottom is connected to a spring leading to the brake pedal via a little arm and another spring. The a-fore mentioned two wires slide through little holes in the top of the brake switch. If they are loose or make bad contact...no juice to the bulb. This may not be your problem, but when I was installing my new tail light along with some other wring. Those two wires were having a fun time at my expense by coming out several times. P.S. it doesn't matter to what posts the wires attach on the brake switch.
Good Luck, I hope the horn issue got ironed out as well.

Last edited by Jetblackchemist; 08-31-2011 at 11:45 AM. Reason: extra info
Unread 09-11-2011, 06:19 PM

Default Taillight

There is a very thin ground wire off the taillight body to the frame to make sure it is not a grounding problem hold a wire to the bulb socket and the frame if it works then look for a wire from the taillight base to the bolt.
Unread 09-12-2011, 05:12 PM

Okay, I have it working now. It was due to two things. First, the cylindrical switch did appear to have the wires loose. I reattached then tested the light. It worked! And then...it didn't. Wasn't sure what the issue was until this last message. The grounding wire was loose. It's 100% now. Thank you all for the help.

Still haven't tested that horn, though...
Unread 09-12-2011, 06:56 PM

The horn has an adjustment inside. Pop open the horn shell, you will see where to pry. Inside you will see a screw/spring. Can't miss it.

Unscrew the screw out a turn or two and test the horn. I test my horns using a 6 volt latern battery. The contacts on the horn match up well with the contacts on the latern battery.

Adjust the screw back and forth until your happy with the sound. If the screw is turned in to tight or out too far, the horn will not sound.

The horn is not very loud. If you want nice sound, you may have to go with a 6V aftermarket horn from a Vespa or the like.