FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 04-23-2013, 03:53 PM

Default signal lights just lighting up

i am finishing up my electrical issues and down to a few.first my left signals work and flash but my right sides just light up but dont flash.is this a problem in my flasher or something else..also horn does not work,i have power to the horn,6 volts i uhooked the horn to 6 volts and it works..lastly no low beam just high beam,i believe wires are hooked up right,thinking i might have to do something to switch as the bulb works when i hooked power to both wires...thanks for any thoughts on me electrical issues
Unread 04-23-2013, 04:47 PM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake

It's not a flasher issue if the left signals work - there's just one flasher. Sounds like there's resistance on the right side somewhere, most commonly in the light socket. I'd recommend cleaning the bulb contact points in the socket, and perhaps inspecting and cleaning the wiring that leads to the right turn signals. Are you testing with the engine running? With these older 6 volt systems, sometimes the extra voltage from the alternator is enough to get the flashers clicking.

Regarding the horn, this thread on another forum used to be an excellent guide to disassembling it and cleaning and adjusting the points, but I see now that most pictures are now dead links. There are replacement generic 6-volt motorcycle horns available on eBay, too.

Regarding the low beam, assuming that the key is in position III and the engine is running, you can try to systematically isolate the issue. Are the headlamp connector contacts clean? Are the wires and connections in that connector good?

Looking at the wiring diagram here ... see if there's 6 volts between the red headlight wire and ground. If not, follow the red wire to where it connects in the headlight nacelle to another red wire. That red wire should be coming from the high/low beam switch.

Still no voltage? The high/low beam switch gets its positive voltage from a green wire in the nacelle that comes from a connector that has other green wires, and gets its power from the key switch's green wire. The key switches are quite durable, so I'm guessing the issue won't be further back.
Unread 04-23-2013, 06:07 PM

Since the only thing common to all of your electrical problems is ground, I'd be checking and cleaning the bike's negative connections.

I have been able to resuscitate bad horns by using electrical contact cleaner on the points and playing with the screw adjustment.
Unread 04-24-2013, 11:14 AM

thanks for the quick reply,will check out all connections and light socket for cleanlyness .i was not sure if there was seperate flashers for each side