FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 04-02-2013, 08:27 AM

Default ps.the rum rum is a dum dum

yes i am an idiot from canada.i have ripped my motor out today.took the top end apart and upon inspection of the piston rings discouvered that the top ring had a letter r and 1.00 which i believe is the size but it was facing down,so im guessing this is my problem.so yes i feel like an idiot.thanks for all the helpful ideas .next thing. my oil rings on the bottom,can they be upside down too i dont want to take them off if i dont have too.also am woundering if i should get a new ring or if the ring i put in upside down is ok to use. i did order new ring but wont be here for a week and would like to get her back together now ,but dont want to rush..
Unread 04-02-2013, 09:03 AM

Remove the ring from the piston and install it into the bore. Square it up and see if the end gap is per the book. If tight you can increase the gap. If loose replace the ring. The numbers won't lie like perhaps a vendor or part number on a box.
Don't feel like an idiot- learn from the lesson, perhaps slow down a bit, and keep doing.
You'll only be an idiot if you repeat your mistakes.
Inspect the parts, take the measurements, reinstall if in spec and see what happens. The worst that can happen is you go back to where you are now.
The oil ring goes either way if you can't find a manufacturer's mark or chamfer (to the top).
Unread 04-02-2013, 05:15 PM

"You'll only be an idiot if you repeat your mistakes."

Whoa! That makes me an idiot! Don't worry about it rumx2. It's just a learning curve.

Last edited by Spokes; 04-02-2013 at 05:17 PM.
Unread 04-02-2013, 05:56 PM

Spokes in my eyes you are a GENIOUS! Uh, did I spell that right?
Unread 04-02-2013, 07:18 PM

Ah Stever..thanks, I'm humbled. I'm not that smart really... I was having a little fun. I think foundations of great men are built on the rubble created by mistakes.

Now..back to bikes...
Unread 04-03-2013, 03:30 AM

Suggested posture for 60mph speed attempt. Taken from an original Honda CB92 Owner's Manual
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flying Posture 42a.jpg (85.3 KB, 20 views)
Unread 04-03-2013, 04:14 AM

"You'll only be an idiot if you repeat your mistakes."
And me an experienced idiot.
Spokes is correct you can't move forward without breaking a few eggs, so to speak.
Unread 04-03-2013, 12:25 PM

Ask us how we knew you had a ring upside down !
Unread 04-04-2013, 05:28 PM

well back in action my top ring was upside down.put it right ride up and bingo it fired up and running well,no oil sputtering thanks for all the help.upon a short spin up the street my next task is to figure out why clutch is slipping,not real bad.im thinkin it might just need a good run,i had originally put synthetic oil in so that could be the culprit.the clutch lever has some free play.when cleaning out the clutch initially i oiled each clutch plate.
Unread 04-05-2013, 01:21 AM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake

Speaking of mistakes, a few years ago, I had completed a restoration of a CB175. I took the bike for its maiden voyage, a 24 mile blast around a beautify countryside. The bike performed like a champ. I took the requisite scenic pictures, parked the bike in the garage, and with an absent mind, left the key on, melting a NOS ignition coil that I had just purchased.

Now I'm under pressure to never repeat that mistake, to avoid the Spokes' "Idiot Rule".
Unread 04-05-2013, 02:35 AM

You need to change oil to a lo or non detergent oil . These engines weren't made for modern oil especially synthetic oils . Shell Rotella is a good choice but any non detergent oil will be fine . Glad she's running great for you .

Last edited by kartgreen; 04-06-2013 at 03:49 AM.
Unread 04-05-2013, 05:16 AM

Good deal Rum, glad to hear she's running well. It really is amazing once you get know these engines they come apart and reassemble very easily. You just have remember pesky things like the cylinder stud o ring, piston and rings right side up etc etc.
Congrats!