FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 03-28-2013, 10:31 AM

Default sprocket change

woundering has anyone used different sprockets to turn the rpms down at highway speed.
Unread 03-28-2013, 11:42 AM

That depends on what highway speed means to you. Sounds like a question for Jet BlackChemist if he was still here or Sam Green. I haven't done any sprocket switching on my CAs.
I understand its not as simple in practice as in theory. In my way of thinking its geared to turn in the best band of power for the set up ( its all a compromise). The engine is supposed to be revving 8 grand at "highway speeds", just ask Sam Green.
Unread 03-29-2013, 05:57 AM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake

What sort of highway speeds are you referring to?

These little Honda engines pushed the bike to "highway speed", or close to it, through high RPMs as opposed to low end torque. A smaller sprocket at the wheel would certainly lower engine RPMs, but will also reduce the available torque.

The stamped steel frame doesn't offer the best handling at higher speeds, either, although I'm sure Sam has pushed these frames past their limits.
Unread 03-29-2013, 05:00 PM

Guys, I don't know what the final gear ratio is on the CA95 (perhaps one our US/CA95 owners would like to fill us in on this) but I'm guessing it is the same as the C95 at 15-36.
Gearing a C95 up by reducing the teeth on the rear wheel sprocket by 2 or adding 1 to the gear box sprocket will kill it. The CA95 might not feel it as much due to the different 4th gear ratio (not quite as high) and the few BHP more.
Doing it to either will slow down your rate of acceleration and the revs in top gear would be that low, you would need to change down to 3rd for every slight incline or slight head wind. These bikes are already way over geared when they leave the factory.
In respect of pushing the pressed steel frame to its limits, there are no problems with this set up, the handling problems you might experence at speed are caused by that great big silly front fender, mud guard for our friends in the UK (Graham).

Sam.

Last edited by Sam Green; 03-29-2013 at 05:01 PM. Reason: spelling
Unread 03-31-2013, 12:13 PM

i have not checked how many teeth i have on the front and back as im at work now,but i would like to be able to drive 60 mph cruising speed.on my first short spins up and down our ice covered streets,i could easy start out in 2nd gear without stalling,gears seam very short..i changed the sprockets on an older cb 750,worked good and dropped 800 rpms on the highway.gears were longer but acceleration was not as good.
Unread 03-31-2013, 02:10 PM

That's the spirit Rum- There is no law against doing what you want or need to do for your situation and your bike.
Unread 03-31-2013, 05:06 PM

I also found my gearing to be too low and the bike hardly got moving before it was necessary to shift into second gear. I found a front sprocket with one more tooth on eBay, installed it, and voila!, the old CA95 instantly became more rideable. It still has enough guts to get up a hill when riding with a passenger. I admit not to comparing top speeds between the different sprockets, I'll leave that up to one of you speed demons!
Unread 03-31-2013, 11:20 PM

I must be getting very conservative in my golden years but I know I will never get anywhere near 60 on my CA95. 40-45 max.
I was tooling around the back yard yesterday and the wife hopped on behind me for the first time. I carefully headed down the drive in front of our house. I took the same little route that I posted on YouTube a while back. When we got to the turn around point I noticed the odometer was at 999.5. I told Karen I was going to pull over to the side of the road at exactly 1000 miles and acknowledge in some way this little motorcycle's long journey to 1000. Of course I completely forgot until we got back home, about a mile and a half too late.
Unread 04-01-2013, 05:17 AM

Steve- put the cable on a drillmotor and run it back for a mile and a half- go recreate your moment-I won't tell.
Unread 04-01-2013, 01:31 PM

after checking my sprocket sam is right 15t on front and36t on the back.so i guess i will try and find a 16t front sprocket. i want to ride to my nearest town 30 miles away at 60 mph so i dont hold up traffic .dont want the revs to go crazy.thanks for all the replies..
Unread 09-24-2013, 09:17 AM

rum-rum,

Did you ever find a 16t front sprocket? If so, do you have a source? Here's one if you are still looking.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-C92-C9...895182&vxp=mtr

Last edited by grubsie; 09-24-2013 at 09:21 AM.
Unread 09-28-2013, 04:39 PM

Default sprocket

thanks grubsie i did find another sprocket im going to try and stop making the benly go as fast as it can and just make it go....rob
Unread 09-28-2013, 09:06 PM

Front Fender acts as a sail. I learn something every time I log on. Thanks Sam. My fender points off to the side by about an inch and I haven't straightened it because I like the barn fresh look. Maybe I better fix that.
Unread 09-30-2013, 04:43 AM

Default sprocket

my 63 benly will do 60 mph ,its just revving pretty high though,at 5 foot 3 ,160 pounds i think this is why,my front fender is also not very straight.i should put a small one on like on the 125,but likly hard to find and not very original...
Unread 11-11-2013, 04:30 PM

Default sprocket change

sam green is right as usual,after putting a one tooth bigger sprocket on the front,it took to much acceleration away and would go faster in third,and would die out in fourth.if there was no wind and on level surface it would do ok but with slow acceleration..i will be putting the original front sprosket back on...ps sam i had to try it...