FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 05-05-2011, 04:22 PM

Question Shocks help missing pictures

Hey guys, I am about to dismantle my shocks I know there is a nice little thread about it here...unfortunately, I can't see any pictures it just displays (PICTURE HERE) I can't remember who posted them off hand. Is there any chance They could be reposted or I could be given a link to them or any advice as to getting those suckers apart? Thanks!
~Jim
Unread 05-05-2011, 05:46 PM

check my album. new pics have been posted. click on each pic for description and steps
Unread 05-05-2011, 06:05 PM

Default Perfect!

Awesome! Thanks spokes! I'll report back how it goes I'll definitely post a picture or 2 when completed
Unread 05-05-2011, 07:06 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Yeap Spokes needs to go back and insert those pictures manually to update those threads.

I got the attached photos to work now though! So anyone can upload attachments directly when the post and they will show up now. Me and my programmer worked all night to get that going last week.
Unread 05-05-2011, 10:03 PM

I have one shock apart it took a lil thinking to get it though. Lubricating the threads wasnt enough to remove the 17mm nut from the rod its attached too, it's happy to spin with the 17mm thats a huge pain in the A. What I did was make a mafia style lariat wrapped it through the spring and twist twist twist til the rod and spring almost touched and then turned the 17mm with a pair of lock pliers finally it came apart. So i've got to that point on shock number 2 and am going to put some oil on it to soak in over night because I dont feel like wrestling two tonight.
Thanks for the hard work keeping this forum functioning Smithers.

Last edited by Jetblackchemist; 05-05-2011 at 10:07 PM.
Unread 05-06-2011, 04:02 AM

Yea, some shocks are easy, some are tough due to age and rust, some have a straight screw slot on top of the stem and some don't. Try not to soak the top too long. Sometimes the rubber insert will dissolve and wont hold the spring in place when you reassemble.
Unread 05-06-2011, 04:13 AM

I got lazy and didn't oil it, my shocks don't have the slot, but thanks to my dremel and your post they will have one by days end It didn't even cross my mind to slot the top of that damn thing. Also I found that wedging a wide bladed screw driver at the top to get the 17mm wrench in there works well also, and if you lack a vise you can just set the bottom of the shock in place on the bike itself leaving the top unattached for the dismantle.

Last edited by Jetblackchemist; 05-06-2011 at 04:16 AM.
Unread 05-10-2011, 01:51 AM

Default Shocks rebuilt

Ok as promised I'd be back with pictures when I had my shocks finished...Basically, my shocks didnt have a slot after the top mount was taken off, so I used my dremel with a cutting disk and made one on each(worked like a charm) Next I did some painting and flipped the metal part to use as the upper part and ditched the broken cracked plastic, the metal was in horrible shape with big pits but no rust through...Some aluminum polishing later and re assembled tada...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shocks refreshed.jpg (55.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg shock partial mount.jpg (45.4 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by Jetblackchemist; 05-10-2011 at 01:54 AM. Reason: Pictures were sideways

Tags
pictures, shocks